DougC

YOU KNOW YOU'VE BEEN A BAD BOY WHEN.......

LengerichKA88

This thread reminds me of what the minister said at my wedding:

The minister that married my wife and I was a friend from our local VFW(Veterans of Foriegn Wars), which is where we met. He was a newly retired Lutheran minister, who had served upwards of 20 years in the army, retiring as the most senior Chaplin (O-5,  Lieutenant Colonel) in the Indiana National Guard. My wife is an Auxillary member, meaning she was directly related to a VFW eligible veteran. I became a member because my time in Afghanistan made me eligible. 

So, back to what the good Colonel said at our wedding: 

He looked at me and said “You are the Platoon Commander in this relationship. You are the one who makes sure everything runs smoothly, is done properly, and that you’re Platoon is ready and able to take on anything and everything that comes at it.”

He then turned to my beautiful bride and said “ You’re the Commanding Officer. You make sure that your Platoon leader is doing his job, because you’re the one in charge.”

Of everything that was said on our wedding day, I think she took that to heart most. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

WHNJ701

reminded me of an x girlfriend years ago when she told me the oil light was on in her truck, I asked when did it come on?, she said about a week or two ago...

don't feel bad we just bought a new stove a nice black and stainless gas one, now we have to get the matching fridge because they don't match.  

• Sad 1

PeacemakerJack

When Kelli and I got married in 2000 her mom had just gone through a divorce.  She was clearing out a bunch of stuff as she was downsizing from a house to an apartment.  She had a whole house full of appliances made in the mid 1990’s.  She gave them all to us as we were setting up our house (thank you mom!) and these appliances were basic but all made in the USA.  About 2009 our fridge died and we bought a new one instead of having the old traditional fridge fixed:angry-banghead:.  Two years later, it already had an electrical glitch, and shut down.  It needed a new mother board after only TWO YEARS:handgestures-thumbdown:.  The repairman that came out was an old school guy and I asked him to look at our other appliances.  After taking a quick look at them he said, “Keep those going as long as you can! Those were built so much heavier and with more quality parts than the new units!”  I thank him so much for his advice and I have had to replace a part here and there but these machines keep on going.  

There is a lot of convenience with all of the electrical/computer doodads but what good are they if the washer won’t wash or the dryer won’t dry even if they are on your WiFi.

Long live quality American built machines!

• Like 1

WHNJ701

our first house needed a fridge so we grabbed a 30 year old fridge out of my wife's grandfathers rental properties.  this fridge was used and abused and put in several homes, transported back and forth on its side etc... ugly and rusty

we used it for about 2 years it was the best fridge I ever owned.  it sucked the electric down every time it kicked on, when we traded it in I think saved about 25 bucks a month on the e bill

• Haha 1

Sarge

We still have an old RCA/Whirlpool upright deep freeze that works flawlessly, the dumb thing will probably outlive me easily. Our side by side fridge is a Whirlpool, about 18yrs old now and has never had one single problem. Same with our washer and dryer - all are fairly old except the dryer which was purchased about 8yrs ago. My daughter did manage to knock out the coupling on the washer transmission once by overloading the snot out of it, but otherwise rock solid and quite heavy. The new stuff is a joke - one guy can toss even the larger appliances due to a lack of weight. Even with 4 men, it was a struggle to move that old deep freezer last time - the thing is built like a tank. 

Sarge

• Like 1

bc.gold
3 hours ago, Sarge said:

We still have an old RCA/Whirlpool upright deep freeze that works flawlessly, the dumb thing will probably outlive me easily. Our side by side fridge is a Whirlpool, about 18yrs old now and has never had one single problem. Same with our washer and dryer - all are fairly old except the dryer which was purchased about 8yrs ago. My daughter did manage to knock out the coupling on the washer transmission once by overloading the snot out of it, but otherwise rock solid and quite heavy. The new stuff is a joke - one guy can toss even the larger appliances due to a lack of weight. Even with 4 men, it was a struggle to move that old deep freezer last time - the thing is built like a tank. 

Sarge

I find lots of front load washing machines at the landfill, the spider at the rear of the drum is made from die cast and within a few short years electrolysis has eaten it away. Even of your fortunate enough to locate a new one the rear bearing will be shot as well and this bearing is encased in the rear support made from plastic.

The majority of washing machines built these days all have small three phase motors powered up with an internal variable frequency drive, three phase motors are cheaper to build because they do not require start winding, start capacitors nor start contacts. So a lot less copper goes into the motor.

On a side note if your front load washing machine has a smart drive motor you can remove this, then with a slight modification to the wiring you now have a wind generator, some guys have used them on pelton wheels to generate electricity.

I sell the smart drive motors on ebay, which are a very popular item that usually sell for $100.00.

spider.png

spidder.png

• Excellent 1