slpalmer

C-160 Restoration Project

slpalmer

Greetings all,

Here is my 1977 C-160 in mid-restoration.  She purrs like a kitten.  They don't sell blades for this deck anymore (as far as I could find) so I bought some close and had a machine shop drill the extra holes to make them fit.  I should see tomorrow how well that works out.

https://goo.gl/photos/1sJsDsajAcSTK3Kk9

I'm in SE TX, looking for garden plow and tiller attachments for this sweet girl.

Hope you enjoy the pics!

Stephen

• Like 6

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Hey Steve,    :wh:           :text-welcomeconfetti:        :wh:    ,    welcome to red square. Sure appreciate the pictures of that wonderfull gal you are working on. A real sweet machine. Don't be a stranger.

Glenn

• Like 1

roadapples

Love the C160`s and    :WRS:

• Like 1

slpalmer

I know aftermarket replica stickers are available.  I that color of red still available for body paint?  I do have a few rust issues...

Stephen

Edited by slpalmer
Completion of comment

Achto
1 minute ago, slpalmer said:

I know aftermarket replica stickers are available.  I that color of red still available for body paint?

Early IH red is a close match. It is available from multiple paint companies.

• Like 1

slpalmer
1 minute ago, achto said:

Early IH red is a close match. It is available from multiple paint companies.

Thanks Achto!  When I get ready to get the body sandblasted and re-painted I'll remember that!

Stephen

• Like 1

DougC

Hello and :text-welcomeconfetti:   Enjoy the forum!   :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn
54 minutes ago, slpalmer said:

I know aftermarket replica stickers are available.  I that color of red still available for body paint?  I do have a few rust issues...

Stephen

Terry, vinyl guy, is a vendor on this site. he has the decals and is GREAT to work with. Most, if not all here use him and his first class product.

Glenn

• Like 2

slpalmer
20 hours ago, Wishin4a416 said:

Welcome to Red Square!! I restored the same Tractor a couple years back. Well almost, mine is an 8 speed. Good Luck. I got my Decals off of Terry as most of us do here.

post-8484-0-69352400-1401309334.jpg

That is a beautiful C-160!  Decals from Terry?  Which body paint did you use?

Stephen

• Like 3

Wishin4a416

Rustoleum Regal Red in spray bombs for small parts and quart can for big parts through a gun.

• Like 2

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn
22 minutes ago, Wishin4a416 said:

Rustoleum Regal Red in spray bombs for small parts and quart can for big parts through a gun.

Regal Red is my choice to. Only I do the rattle cans, lol. A dozen at a clip.

Edit: btw Jack, that was a sweet job. A+

And Steve, others choose Rustoleum sunrise red.

Glenn

Edited by JERSEYHAWG / Glenn
  • Like 1

WheelHorseNut
On 7/25/2016 at 3:12 PM, slpalmer said:

Greetings all,

Here is my 1977 C-160 in mid-restoration.  She purrs like a kitten.  They don't sell blades for this deck anymore (as far as I could find) so I bought some close and had a machine shop drill the extra holes to make them fit.  I should see tomorrow how well that works out.

https://goo.gl/photos/1sJsDsajAcSTK3Kk9

I'm in SE TX, looking for garden plow and tiller attachments for this sweet girl.

Hope you enjoy the pics!

Stephen

Stephen, That's a great tractor and what a nice starting point!

How'd the blades work out?

@Wishin4a416 Man, that came out awesome!  Just gorgeous!

• Like 2

slpalmer
5 hours ago, WheelHorseNut said:

Stephen, That's a great tractor and what a nice starting point!

How'd the blades work out?

@Wishin4a416 Man, that came out awesome!  Just gorgeous!

The place I took the blades didn't open Monday.  We had some bad storms here Sunday night / Monday morning and I think he took some damage.  I'll be bt there tomorrow to pick them up and I'll update here.  I took the 1 remaining damaged blade I had for them to use as a guide so I have high hopes.

Stephen

slpalmer

Guess I need to find a shop with a drill press and diamond tipped bits.  The guy I took the blades to burned up 2 hardened steel bits trying to drill the blades and only got 2 pilot holes done in one blade.

WheelHorseNut
16 hours ago, slpalmer said:

Guess I need to find a shop with a drill press and diamond tipped bits.  The guy I took the blades to burned up 2 hardened steel bits trying to drill the blades and only got 2 pilot holes done in one blade.

Wow -- didn't realize they were that tough to drill through.  How about a press with a punch and die set?

• Like 1

slpalmer
6 hours ago, WheelHorseNut said:

Wow -- didn't realize they were that tough to drill through.  How about a press with a punch and die set?

Working on finding another shop.. will update once I know.

oliver2-44

I also used Rustoleum Regal Red on my 312-8 restore and enamel paint Hardener. From tractor supply. Also used decals from Terry   

Good to see another Texas member

Edited by oliver2-44
  • Like 1