dusted800

D series transmission?

dusted800

Looking at purchasing a mid 70s D series wheel horse with bad trans.  will any other model trans fit these old beast or is it strictly the d series?  thanks wk.

pfrederi

Are you talking about the transaxle or the hydro drive system?  D's used a "separated" hydro system.  The pump and motor are connected by a long manifold not directly like in C series and other older models.  Internal parts for pump and motor are mostly the same.  Finding a good used replacement can be challenging.  I have purchased a few all from "Good working tractors"  but on opening them up they all had issues.  Some were usable but none were in great shape.

• Like 2

"D"- Man

If by bad trans, you are referring to the transaxle, there is one other model that will bolt up to your tractor, the 18 Automatic.  This inevitably would have the smaller diameter bolts securing the end caps to the ring gear, 5/16" as opposed to the later 3/8" higher grade bolts.  And these also had a lever to engauge the parking brake pawl.

P.S. I am not sure which exact years, but some of the "D" series had a drum on the motor shaft for a brake band.

dusted800

I spoke to the guy that is trying to sell it, he stated that he has had it about 10 years and the guy before him had put in a new or rebuilt short block and a rebuilt trans.  He stated that it does not move in forward or reverse and the 3 point hitch stopped work also.  I am mechanically inclined but know nothing about these trannys.  With what I have told you here what would be your best guess?  thanks

DennisThornton
12 minutes ago, 23 Automatic LSE said:

If by bad trans, you are referring to the transaxle, there is one other model that will bolt up to your tractor, the 18 Automatic.  This inevitably would have the smaller diameter bolts securing the end caps to the ring gear, 5/16" as opposed to the later 3/8" higher grade bolts.  And these also had a lever to engauge the parking brake pawl.

P.S. I am not sure which exact years, but some of the "D" series had a drum on the motor shaft for a brake band.

Please, tell us more regarding:

"  there is one other model that will bolt up to your tractor, the 18 Automatic "

9 minutes ago, dusted800 said:

I spoke to the guy that is trying to sell it, he stated that he has had it about 10 years and the guy before him had put in a new or rebuilt short block and a rebuilt trans.  He stated that it does not move in forward or reverse and the 3 point hitch stopped work also.  I am mechanically inclined but know nothing about these trannys.  With what I have told you here what would be your best guess?  thanks

You and I are looking at the same Craiglisting I bet!  Some one of us should buy that D!  A bit far me distance wise and experience wise!

pfrederi

3 point and mid mount not working, there is a problem in the pump. Could be the charge pump is shot or maybe just a bad relief valve. You have to do tests to diagnose the problem  Removing the pump is not a pleasant afternoon project.  The sundstrand manula is avaialble here.  it shows all the diagnostics you may need

dusted800

there are 4 files here, do I need to look at all, or any in particular

gwest_ca

The file was divided up to retain the quality without a single very large file. The 4 parts make up the complete manual.

Garry

"D"- Man

An 18 Automatic was the predecessor to the 4 "D" series, it was introduced  in 1973.  Just out of curiosity, is the cast and rubber coupling from the engine flywheel to the hydro pump shaft good?                                                                           

DennisThornton
6 minutes ago, 23 Automatic LSE said:

An 18 Automatic was the predecessor to the 4 "D" series, it was introduced  in 1973.  Just out of curiosity, is the cast and rubber coupling from the engine flywheel to the hydro pump shaft good?                                                                           

Did not know that!

Thanks!

Guess I've got some more research to do...

BobbyD218

Hey Dusted,

I'm in CT.... I have a D180 that runs but smokes[ though I haven't started it yet this year].  I've lost interest in it except for the 26 inch tires.  I bought it with the intention of fitting it with a front loader I have gathering rust, but reconsidered due to the motor work needed, and lack of power steering.   So I'll use my JD318 instead.  If you pull the trigger on the one you're looking at, I can give you a good deal on a "parts machine".  The thing is a beast...

Edited by BobbyD218