JimmyJam

Hot Mule Drive

JimmyJam

The other day I was mowing my back yard with my B-80 and I noticed my belt was smoking. I stopped to let it cool down (although it was 90degrees outside). The mule drive was so hot that it felt like I was touching the exhaust pipe. What would cause that? The belt wasn't too tight. Hmmm???

• Like 1

rjg854

bad bearings? :confusion-scratchheadblue:

• Like 8

KC9KAS

@JimmyJam Bad bearing(s)!

• Like 7

gwest_ca

When bearings start to fail they get tight which causes heat and depletes the lubrication if there is any left at that point. Then they get loose from wear. It can be detected at any time in the failure process. The earlier the better keeps repair costs down.

Garry

• Like 6

elliot ness

Only two things, the belt is loose or the bearings are bad, :twocents-02cents:

• Like 2

squonk

Yup. while your at it check your pto bell bearings too. I fried an egg on one a couple of years ago! 2ecq9ty.gif

• Like 1

953 nut
4 minutes ago, squonk said:

pto bell bearings too. I fried an egg on one

:wwp:    How did you get the egg to stay on there?    :ychain:

• Like 2

squonk

Fat chickens! :)

• Like 2

DougC

Bearings usually start making noise first, then get super hot, then lock up completely and fry the belt. Remove the belt and try to spin the mule drive pulleys and see what happens.  After it cools down that is.......

TDF5G

Yes I would check the bearings in the pulley box.   Over adjusting the PTO clutch will cause it to smoke also.  Ask me how I know! :rolleyes:

JimmyJam

Thanks everyone! Not much left to to the ball bearing casing!!!!! How does one replace the bearing? Is it pressed on? Does each pulley have a bearing?

WHX??

Two choices Jimmy...either replace the whole pulley which can be had yet or split the pulley and just replace the bearing. I have a thread here on how to replace just the bearings but can't put a link to on this stupid tablet! :text-imsorry: I think it is in restoration &  mods section. Not sure what  the bearing size is but should be common. Maybe others can chime in on that if they ain't too busy making their breakfast on them! :ROTF:

Most important when you take the mule apart make careful note where the spacers go for reassembly. 

Two choices Jimmy...either replace the whole pulley which can be had yet or split the pulley and just replace the bearing. I have a thread here on how to replace just the bearings but can't put a link to on this stupid tablet! :text-imsorry: I think it is in restoration &  mods section. Not sure what  the bearing size is but should be common. Maybe others can chime in on that if they ain't too busy making their breakfast on them! :ROTF:

Most important when you take the mule apart make careful note where the spacers go for reassembly. Yes each pulley has a bearing.

• Like 1

squonk

I think someone needs a new tablet! :teasing-poke:

tunahead72
On 7/23/2016 at 3:30 PM, squonk said:

Fat chickens! :)

Good grief, even Mel Tillis knows TT!

Mel's gettin' old, isn't he?  Not like the rest of us, of course.

JimmyJam

WHX7: I am having trouble finding your link on how to change out bearings of the pulleys. You're right there are several mule drives on ebay, but used may = bearings could go at any time.

MalMac

Unless you have the old cast type of pulleys that have replaceable bearings, trying to split the the pulleys is a real pain. Those pulleys are a very common pulley that can be found other places. Way simpler to just change out the pulley and be back mowing.

• Like 2

WHX??
23 hours ago, squonk said:

I think someone needs a new tablet! :teasing-poke:

Someone needs to learn how to use the one they have....:blink:

Mal might be right Jimmy about the cast pulley bearings Jimmy but I have no problems splitting the pullleys ..Heres the link now that i am at a real computer

Let us know how you make out....

Edited by WHX7
  • Like 3

MWR

Since no one else has mentioned it, I'd guess it could be the bearings going bad..