Detector

New 312 Hydro owner

Detector

Hello Everyone!! A few weeks ago I sold my 2014 X300 and decided on finding a Wheel Horse, after driving many hours/miles and looking at several 312-8s  that were in bad shape I purchased a 1990 model 312 Hydro classic 42". It has 600 hours and according to the previous owner serviced yearly. The guy I bought it from bought it new and still had the manual, brochures, tractor hang tags, deck manual, Kohler engine manual, a new unused deck chute he took off when new and 3 sets of blades. He had the transmission serviced last year I'm assuming by a Deere dealer or picked up a Deere filter which I crossed with the Toro number that matched and replaced the front tires and both belts, this spring he installed a new battery, did his yearly oil change and air filter. I paid $900 for it which I hope was not a bad deal. So far I've done very little other than replace a headlight, replaced all the fuel line and fuel filter, also pulled the carb bowl which was spotless. I've got two new deck wheels on the way and the battery hold down hooks. It has a few surface rust spots where the paint popped off on the fenders as well as the front hood decal and very light surface rust that was under the deck covers. I've cut with it some and it mows well. How durable are these hydro transmissions? I've got to get accustomed to using the stick vs the foot to control speed but the transmission feels smooth. I'd like to go with a more aggressive rear tires of the same size like the Deestone Super Lugs seeing these are dry cracked bad but seem to still hold air "I'm open to tire suggestions", I do like the tractor tire look and would come in handy in a few wet areas of my property. Thought about doing a light restoration and replacing all the decals in the near future but this week I'm going to focus my attention to the deck "remove the surface rust, prime and repaint" Got to try out this Attach A Matic feature, looks simple...Overall I like it, I must say Toro built them well!  Any tips on these units? 

my toro 4.jpg

Edited by Detector
  • Like 9

19richie66

Very nice looking machine. Magnum 12's are very good engines. Looks like it was well taken care of. Considering it will outlast any of the box store machines you could have bought for twice/three times as much, I'd say you did alright. The hand control does take a little bit to get used to but it's not bad. I'm in the same boat as I started using my 418 to mow with. I'm sure there is someone else who can help you out a little more that will come along. Pull up a chair and make yourself at home........:WRS:

• Like 7

benji756

:banana-rock::text-welcomeconfetti:

• Like 3

Detector
22 minutes ago, 19richie66 said:

Very nice looking machine. Magnum 12's are very good engines. Looks like it was well taken care of. Considering it will outlast any of the box store machines you could have bought for twice/three times as much, I'd say you did alright. The hand control does take a little bit to get used to but it's not bad. I'm in the same boat as I started using my 418 to mow with. I'm sure there is someone else who can help you out a little more that will come along. Pull up a chair and make yourself at home........:WRS:  Thanks, so far I like it a lot

• Like 2

AMC RULES

:WRS:

• Like 2

cleat

Get matt's kit and you will be back to foot control.

Really makes the tractor a pleasure to drive.

The Eaton 1100 transmission is very durable.

Cleat

• Like 6

rmaynard

Dittos on Matt's foot pedal kit. I have a JD X300 and love the foot pedals, so when I got my 416-H, I hated the way the column lever worked. I removed it and installed the kit. I will never go back to a hand operated system again.

• Like 5

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

:text-welcomeconfetti:   your going to like it. take your time making decisions. no rush.  good luck.

Glenn

• Like 3

elliot ness

Oh my sweet mother of great looking Wheel Horses, you got a keeper. and welcome to red Square where there is a world of free information on these great GT's just for the asking.:text-welcomeconfetti:

• Like 2

roadapples

• Like 2

312Hydro

Good looking :wh:. Love my 312h! But , I've had mine since new and it does everything I ask of it. :text-welcomeconfetti:

• Like 3

muz123

Welcome! Your going to love that!:wh: its like a mini 520-H! 

• Like 2

Detector

Thanks for the Welcomes!! 

TDF5G

Have fun with your new Horse!  

METAL BENDER

I bought my first toro Wheel horse 312-8 hydro classic,I have been looking for the model/year info.I have the motor info,deck info but not the frame numbers yet.I believe its an 87 but not the month ,model,serial #s yet.This thing is huge lol and I have an over grown acre of 18 to about 20 inches of grass the cut this morning so I'm getting her ready.I have one issue the motion control shifter will not lock in forward its slipping out unless I hold it in gear.It stays in neutral and reverse fine.other than that I'm greasing things up and checking fluids.Its new to me so I don't know what brands of fluids I'm using so after I cut today I'm going to change out and flush everything so I know whats what from there on.If anyone has any advice on finding the serial numbers or the shifter by all means share the wisdom .

oliver2-44

Regarding replacing tire be aware that most of the off brand tired like Deestones run small for the size. The Deedtone are good tires but you might go one size larger that you currently have to match up to a Carslile true size. 

6wheeler
21 hours ago, METAL BENDER said:

I bought my first toro Wheel horse 312-8 hydro classic,I have been looking for the model/year info.I have the motor info,deck info but not the frame numbers yet.I believe its an 87 but not the month ,model,serial #s yet.This thing is huge lol and I have an over grown acre of 18 to about 20 inches of grass the cut this morning so I'm getting her ready.I have one issue the motion control shifter will not lock in forward its slipping out unless I hold it in gear.It stays in neutral and reverse fine.other than that I'm greasing things up and checking fluids.Its new to me so I don't know what brands of fluids I'm using so after I cut today I'm going to change out and flush everything so I know whats what from there on.If anyone has any advice on finding the serial numbers or the shifter by all means share the wisdom .

First of all/ Welcome to :rs:. Your model and serial #'s should be on the left side fender pan just under the edge of the seat. For the hydro? On mine? I use 10w-30 engine oil. And in the engine? Straight 30w oil. 312 H classics were made from 1990 to 93. BTW? :banana-gotpics:. WE LIKE EM.:wwp:. If you want? Check out my post 312 classic value. There are pics of my 1990 Classic. Good luck. Good tractor....

• Like 1

METAL BENDER

Mine is not ready for pictures It looks like it went mud bogging then rolled around in the fresh-cut grass with the dogs for hours.My first cutting with the 312-H and the grass was knee high and wet at the base.1.2 acre and this 30 something girl never stalled...The yard needs to get re cut day after tomorrow to lay down the clumps and even it out.I just cut I did not bag anything and it was a long day with doing the fittings and putting the choke cable kit on her.I ordered a fuel tank filter , screens,and cut off valve kit , an ampere meter, throttle cable kit.That mower is a beast i wish i could have worked one back when it was NEW lol.

20220427_230532.png

mrc

welcome detector,  

the good: magnum 12 is a long life engine.

eaton 1100 tranny is very stout

the bad:   nothing

upgrades: there are 3 foot pedal kits: matts foot pedal kit, doc's foot pedal kit which is a reproduction wh kit or because you have the shifter between your legs you can make a homemade foot pedal setup like ed kennells.

change front wheels to 8 inch with proper spindles

deestones run smaller then their stated size

check where front of fender pan/gas tank mounts for cracking or breaking of the 'Main tunnel" (not hard to fix)

regards mike in mass.