Fredski53

6 or 8 speed trans

Fredski53

Hi all, new guy here, I have a 69 10 horse raider that the dog point set screw for the shifter broke off. I tried drilling the set screw out, but it was made of hard steel. I was able to get the screw out by drilling around the screw and using a small chisel , back the screw out. Now my problem is there is not enough metal around the set screw hole to hold the screw! I was thinking helicoil or could you weld the hole closed and then redrill it? Also what about replacing the whole half trans case with a used one? The trans I have is a 3 speed with the hi /low. So, is this call a 6 speed or 8 (6 forward 2 reverse) trans? Sorry for the long post ! Thanks , Fred

JAinVA

Fredski53,

6 or 8 speed in my mind is a matter of when the trans was produced.The end results are the same.6 forward and 2 reverse.Try the heli-coil fix first.The load on the set screw is not that large so that even if the tap doesn't have enough metal to be a hundred percent, it may be enough to last a long time.You can always try some other fix if a helicoil doesn't work for you.

I spent many years in the aerospace industry and heli-coils are the norm.Go for it.Just make sure you install the heli-coil as directed JMHO,JAinVA

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 3

roadapples

:WRS:

rmaynard

I agree with the Heli-coil fix if it still has enough metal to drill and tap for one. I have done that fix before and it worked just fine. 

AMC RULES

Tankman
44 minutes ago, rmaynard said:

I agree with the Heli-coil fix if it still has enough metal to drill and tap for one. I have done that fix before and it worked just fine. 

Helicoils work great.

hrlicoil.gif

KC9KAS

@Fredski53 :WRS: and I too vote for the Helicoil!

JimmyJam

Welcome to RedSquare! Helicoil agreed. Normally the tranny of those years were referred to as 8-speed.

stevasaurus

Actually, your 1969 Raider 10 is a 6 speed #5071 transmission.  The difference is the shaft the brake drum sits on.  Yours is on the 11/44 toothed gear shaft and is the hole closest to the axle housing.  The 8 speed transmission has the brake drum on the cluster gear shaft...the next hole toward the front of the transmission.  The 8 speed transmissions made their first appearance in 1970.

The heli-coil should work for you, but if you end up getting a different case half...it is WH# 6941.  Left hand side.  BTW, the left hand case sides for the 6 & 8 speed transmissions with 1 1/8" axles, is the same part number.  :)  The right hand sides are different.

• Like 1

953 nut

:WRS:       Heli-coil will work or you could drill it out for a larger dog-point and tap it. Regardless,  put some Never-Seize on it! 

• Like 1

Fredski53

Thanks for all the input! I'll try the helicoil! But I'm still confused on the 6 or 8 speed trans. So the 8 speed has 4 forward gears and 2 reverse ?

953 nut
1 hour ago, Fredski53 said:

confused on the 6 or 8 speed trans

When :wh: came out with the six speed it seems another manufacturer was also using that term, attorneys told them to choose another term. Eight speeds are a three speed plus reverse and a high/low range.

Fredski53

Ok,I got it! Thanks 953 Nut!