Lane Huls

ANTS!

Lane Huls

What do you guy do when you get a tractor filled to the brim and overflowing with ants? I mean they are in the engine, under the seat, behind the dash and belt guard. The tractor nearly shimmers in the light. How would you remove them? I can see why the poor thing was given up on. B-80 here, so it isn't huge. I have already drowned it in ant spray. Didn't phase them

Achto

Try to cover & seal it with a tarp or plastic as best as you can and set off a can of bug fogger under it. Leave it sealed up for a few hours. That should take care of anything living in there.

• Like 3

312Hydro

:wwp:

• Like 2

Lane Huls

Good idea. These ants amaze me, they burrowed into the grease caps for the hubs and are living in grease even. Resilient things. Having never used fogger before, will I need to dispose of the tarp after or will it be safe to touch?

Edited by Lane Huls

TDF5G

images.jpg

Lane Huls

Entire can of this and they slowed down very little.

th.jpg

6 minutes ago, 312Hydro said:

:wwp:

As always there is not one bit of signal at work for me to get picture uploaded :wacko:

Achto
10 minutes ago, Lane Huls said:

Having never used fogger before, will I need to dispose of the tarp after or will it be safe to touch?

A fogger is designed to be used in doors so I think a tarp should be ok to use afterwards.  

• Like 2

TDF5G

Terro is very good stuff.  It will attract the ants to the poison and kill them.  You just have one pile of dead ants to clean up instead of dead ants all over the place.

And it doesn't cost much.

Edited by TDF5G
  • Like 1

Lane Huls
4 minutes ago, TDF5G said:

Terro is very good stuff.  It will attract the ants to the poison and kill them.  You just have one pile of dead ants to clean up instead of dead ants all over the place.

And it doesn't cost much.

It is good stuff I agree. However the scope of what I am dealing with is far more than I feel it would deal with. It doesn't matter anymore. I am an impatient person. I took the trusty pressure washer and blew the ants into oblivion. No more giant home under the seat, vacation home in the belt guard, or summer home in the tach-a-matic. I only have the engine left to worry about, and I have a second can of raid. Ill just mist it heavily with that, wait a couple hours and then pull the tins off.

• Like 5

TDF5G
6 minutes ago, Lane Huls said:

It is good stuff I agree. However the scope of what I am dealing with is far more than I feel it would deal with. It doesn't matter anymore. I am an impatient person. I took the trusty pressure washer and blew the ants into oblivion. No more giant home under the seat, vacation home in the belt guard, or summer home in the tach-a-matic. I only have the engine left to worry about, and I have a second can of raid. Ill just mist it heavily with that, wait a couple hours and then pull the tins off.

That works too.  I usually use what's handy also.  I get ants in my mailbox about this time of year.  I sprayed it with some Raid the other day but it left a mess of dead bodies to clean up.  It will last for a few weeks then they will return.  I need to try some outdoor Terro, never have before.  I have used the Terro indoors and it works very well. 

Good luck with your battle of the ants!

Edited by TDF5G

Lane Huls

Thanks! I know they make a terro extended release bottle. It's dark green and you can stick it to your mail box or stake it to the ground. My neighbor has them all around his house and absolutely swears by them.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

The news was saying at the start of the season..."ants were going to have a good year."  I was on the patio the other day and the wife had dropped a Cheese Puff on the ground.  Here was this ant dragging this Cheese Puff all over the place.  He (or she) even got it up and over the dog's rope laying on the ground.  The other ants would just go by though...not one would stop and help.  After my beer was gone, I picked up the Cheese Puff and put the ant out of it's misery.  :)  It was almost as good as watching paint dry.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 7

rmaynard

The problem with killing them in place is that they will still be there after they die. You need to find a way to encourage them to move out. The ants will only stay in the tractor as long as they have a food and water source. Without that they die. So cut off their source of nourishment and they will leave.

Lagersolut

We had a problem with ants in the house a few years ago - spraying and the ant bait cans did nothing, my last resort before calling in a exterminator was the liquid traps ( new to me but worth a shot ) I picked up at Lowe's - stated on the package the ants would swarm on the traps ( boy did they )  just leave the traps alone the bait would be carried back to the queen .

Inside of 1 week my ant problem was gone . We had ants swarmed on those traps and counter by the thousands after we set those baits .

• Like 1

DennisThornton
33 minutes ago, Lagersolut said:

We had a problem with ants in the house a few years ago - spraying and the ant bait cans did nothing, my last resort before calling in a exterminator was the liquid traps ( new to me but worth a shot ) I picked up at Lowe's - stated on the package the ants would swarm on the traps ( boy did they )  just leave the traps alone the bait would be carried back to the queen .

Inside of 1 week my ant problem was gone . We had ants swarmed on those traps and counter by the thousands after we set those baits .

What brand please?

WNYPCRepair
3 hours ago, achto said:

Try to cover & seal it with a tarp or plastic as best as you can and set off a can of bug fogger under it. Leave it sealed up for a few hours. That should take care of anything living in there.

Test this first to be sure the chemicals don't melt the tarp. :)

Lagersolut
10 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

What brand please?

Terro liquid ant baits - Lowe's did carry them but the way they change vendors these days I can't guarantee it today .

fjn52b.jpg

• Like 2

DennisThornton
2 minutes ago, Lagersolut said:

Terro liquid ant baits - Lowe's did carry them but the way they change vendors these days I can't guarantee it today .

We sell the Terro brand at work and while I'm not sure what the attractant/bait is the killing ingredient is just borax.  But it does work and we sell lots of it!  

It did not work well for me for carpenter ants, though.

WHX??
4 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

After my beer was gone, I picked up the Cheese Puff and put the ant out of it's misery.

and had another beer...:laughing-rolling:

• Like 4

312Hydro
10 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

The news was saying at the start of the season..."ants were going to have a good year."  I was on the patio the other day and the wife had dropped a Cheese Puff on the ground.  Here was this ant dragging this Cheese Puff all over the place.  He (or she) even got it up and over the dog's rope laying on the ground.  The other ants would just go by though...not one would stop and help.  After my beer was gone, I picked up the Cheese Puff and put the ant out of it's misery.  :)  It was almost as good as watching paint dry.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

Did you finish off his cheese puff? :ychain:

• Like 4

DoctorHfuhruhurr

Does it run?  If so, I'd fire it up and barbeque those in and around the engine. :-D

benji756

we have had a ant problem in our home for a while, mainly in the kitchen. I was reading something online about it and it was suggested that you take regular popcorn not microwave brand and grind it up good and leave little piles around the areas the ants are. My wife did that and this is the first year in a long time we haven't had ant problems.

• Like 1

ohiofarmer

If you can hit them directly.................Brake cleaner. leaves no residue. It should have enough VOC's to do them in. if that does not work, then carb cleaner. If you are are a cheap person, Coleman fuel out of a paint gun. If you are a really cheap person and do not mind the stink, then gasoline from a paint gun. Please do not complain to me if any of this damages your pristine paint job...

Of course, many people would take a dim view of this based on environmental concerns, but this is war !

• Like 1

DougC

I would recommend  one of these.  Ants would leave that tractor and the USA for that matter if any of these creatures were introduced into their environment  :lol: 

donald-trump.jpg

b6-8522358105745c71d2fbff9.63653022.jpg

marvin mad.jpg

images.jpg

Oh.... Remind me to never eat any Cheese Puffs..... They attract ants!!!!   :lol:

• Like 2