R2D2B9

1984 GT1100 Thrust Bearing

R2D2B9

Hi,

I have a 1984 GT-1100 Work Horse (Model A1-11B801).  The Thrust Bearing on the engine (B&S 11HP) has went bad and is no longer available from Toro.  Does anyone have suggestions as to where I can source a new bearing?  Possibly a generic bearing part number or a compatible bearing from another model Wheel Horse? 

Also the failure caused the keyway in the engine shaft to wear.  Has anyone had success with repairing this type of damage with Loctite 660 or similar? 

Enjoy the attached pictures. 

Thanks

20160718_204112.jpg

20160718_204127.jpg

Edited by R2D2B9
typo correction

gwest_ca

Often wondered what that bearing is. As the need to repower increases I can see this system becoming a requirement on today's engines.

It was once stated that the 106499 bearing was a 6007-2RSNR but I have no idea if this is correct. I'm thinking it is an angular contact design for thrust loads.

How to install with the necessary preload.

Garry

• Like 2

ACman

As far as the shaft , I don't know what to tell you :confusion-shrug: . Back in the day , I crossed referenced many bearings . Allis Chalmers and New Idea had some great cross reference books. You could go by manufacture and numbers stamped on bearing (you may need magnifying glass to read) or by measurements of the bearing . If we didn't have it , or couldn't order it through A.C. or N.I. we called Detroit Ball Bearing . This was before internet  :techie-typing: . If you can get that info I'm sure there's some companies that could help you out . Their just a few clicks away on your keyboard . 

Edited by ACman
  • Like 1

R2D2B9

AC unfortunately the bearing I have is worn on both sides so there is no hope of getting any numbers off of it to cross reference with.  The number 6007-2RSNR Gwest posted looks like a similar bearing to the one with the toro p/n I could find on ebay.  I will have to measure what's left of the original bearing and the bore in the drive pulley and see if it matches up with the standard bearing's dimensions.  

pfrederi

Bearing is 6007RS  35mmx 62mmx14mm

• Like 2

Bert
25 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Bearing is 6007RS  35mmx 62mmx14mm

:text-yeahthat:

image.jpeg

• Like 3

R2D2B9

Is there any need for the version with the snap ring that gwest originally mentioned?

gwest_ca
20 hours ago, gwest_ca said:

It was once stated that the 106499 bearing was a 6007-2RSNR but I have no idea if this is correct.

The NR is for a snap ring on the outer race. There is a groove in the race to accommodate the ring. Other than that the bearing is identical to a 6007-2RS so an NR bearing can be used by leaving the ring off.

My question - is the NR with ring required for this application or will a plain 6007-2RS do the job? Have never ever seen this application so don't know how it goes together.

Garry

R2D2B9

Any idea if it matters which way the thrust bearing plate goes?  I'd like to flip it over so the worn side is facing the engine instead.  Also looking at the assembly drawing it appears it should go the opposite way it was installed on my engine, so flipping it might be good.  The plate has left quite the impression on the side of the engine, hopefully this will not cause wear issues in the future? It seems this is what the pre-load service bulletin is trying to address. 

2016-07-20 09_38_38-Toro A1-11B801, GT-1100 8-Speed Tractor, 1984 Parts Diagram for ENGINES.jpg

oldredrider

If I remember correctly,  you have to grind off one of the corners of the plate to flip it. Flipping it does give more life to the plate and bearing.

• Like 1