bmsgaffer

My First XI!

rmaynard

I would think that the axle would have to be removed to be welded, turned and recut for the Woodruff.

But I've never done it so that's just my thoughts.

bmsgaffer
1 hour ago, rmaynard said:

I would think that the axle would have to be removed to be welded, turned and recut for the Woodruff.

But I've never done it so that's just my thoughts.

I have seen a few welded repairs and I thought they were in place, but I cant remember. 

On another note, this model did NOT have woodruff keys, there was a 1/4"  (or so) square key on both axles... I guess that was a supposed improvement to the XI's? Though it seems like loose keys and chewed up axles are a fairly common problem with the XI's that I have seen. Did the woodruff key give better bite when tightened? Or does the 400+lbs of extra weight just wear them faster?

DennisThornton

I'd wrap a wet rag around the axle close to the case, weld a little, quench and weld a little.  Grind to finish.  Might not be beautiful when I got done but it would work.  And take a LOT less time than pulling the axle!

• Like 1

bmsgaffer

I found the topic: 

@Ed Kennell If you make it here: Did you make this repair with the axle still in the transmission? What kind of welder did you use?

Thanks!

Ed Kennell

Yeah, I'm watching Brandon.  :handgestures-salute:

Yes the axle was still in the tranny.    I wrapped wet rags around the axle near the seal to keep it cool.  Welder is the el-cheapo HF flux core welder with 0.030" wire, max heat, and med wire feed.    

• Like 1

bmsgaffer
28 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Yeah, I'm watching Brandon.  :handgestures-salute:

Yes the axle was still in the tranny.    I wrapped wet rags around the axle near the seal to keep it cool.  Welder is the el-cheapo HF flux core welder with 0.030" wire, max heat, and med wire feed.    

Thanks Ed! That is WONDERFUL to hear. :bow-blue: I was afraid I would have to pack this thousand pound thing up and take it to a welder that had better equipment. Sounds like my Hobart 140 should do the trick. What do I have to lose, right? :handgestures-thumbupright: 

Edited by bmsgaffer
  • Like 2

Howie

I welded up one of my axles but the transmission was apart. I bought a piece of 1/4 inch copper made a dummy key clamped it in place and welded

around it. Put it in the lathe and turned it down. Weld doesn't stick to the copper. An engine builder here used a piece of carbon stick and welded

around it on an old race motor in a car to get by for the moment. Not what I would recommend though!

Ed Kennell
10 hours ago, bmsgaffer said:

Thanks Ed! That is WONDERFUL to hear. :bow-blue: I was afraid I would have to pack this thousand pound thing up and take it to a welder that had better equipment. Sounds like my Hobart 140 should do the trick. What do I have to lose, right? :handgestures-thumbupright: 

I don't think I explained how I "machined" the welded up keyway while still in the tranny.    I rough ground the weld, then coated it with Prussian hi - spot bluing and used the hub to mark the high spots , then very slowly filed and reblued until the hub slid on over the welded up area.    If the hub doesn't already have them, I also always add the second tapped hole for a set screw 90 degrees from the key.        A black magic marker will work also if Prussian Bluing isn't available.

• Like 2