MAH

1056 input trans input shaft worn

MAH

I am restoring a 1056 and upon removing the trans axle (3 speed with reverse) we found the input shaft pulley welded to the shaft... upon removing the belt found the shaft had a lot of play side to side. I was planning to split the case anyway to give everything a good cleaning so that's what we did. It was no surprise to fined the shaft worn and the outer needle bearings gone. The teeth on the shaft and directly related gears have some rounded edges but I feel that they are still usable. Are there parts available for this to be repaired? 

Here is the other thought but can it be done? I have a 518 hydro lying around that was a donor tractor for a blown engine in another 518. Would it be possible to transplant the hydro axle in the 1056 and has anyone done this kind of swap before?

953 nut
7 hours ago, MAH said:

possible to transplant the hydro axle in the 1056

If you have the donor 518 lying around to obtain the direction controls and other dissimilar parts from  then it could be done. Don't know if it has been done, but with the ingenuity of this group I bet it has. The real question is, did anyone record the step by step process? If you do it, please post it as you go.  :wwp:

• Like 2

Racinbob

The parts are out there but getting harder to find. I'd suggest that you get it opened up so you can determine what all you need. Don't forget pictures so we can help you better. :)

• Like 2

stevasaurus

Can you grind the weld to separate the shaft and pulley with out ruining the parts??  :)  Other wise you will have to cut it off to replace those bearings and seal.  Try to save that pulley if you can,  I have a parts transmission opened up at the moment.

• Like 2

MAH

I did have the case split and I need the input shaft and both needle bearings. My thought for repair was to have the shaft machined smaller and try to find other bearings but that would require machining of the case also and possibly finding a seal to fit the case and shaft. We want to use the tractor so its not going to be a perfect restore but it needs to work. I can take the case apart when I get home to take some pictures. I put it back together because I'm forgetful. Even at work I put bolts back in when I take things apart. Not hard to do I don't have the bolts in at the moment as I put it together and painted it so it doesn't corrod. 

As far as the hydro trans from the other tractor. I have the complete tractor less the motor and some odds and ends I used to fix my other 51h and my father's 520hc so all the parts are there. I've even considered cutting the frame on that one and use even the frame (Frankentractor). But I wantall the old sheet metal on it so I'd have to figure out how to bolt the rear seat pan on. I'd like to do the hydro swap but in a way id like to keep it close to original. 

• Like 1

stevasaurus

We can fix the transmission.  Can you save the input pulley?  I have a parts trans.  Get that input shaft out of there and let us know.  :)

• Like 1

MAH

I have the shaft out I just have to figure out how to get pictures from my phone. 

IMG_20160718_190538132.jpg

IMG_20160718_192002433.jpg

IMG_20160718_191906520.jpg

IMG_20160718_192454635.jpg

IMG_20160718_192529292.jpg

I believe i can salvage the pulley for now. I will have to drill and tap for a new set screw in a different location. 

As far as the bearings go there is a 1 needle that came out and was in the outer race... now bent. But all the bearings are gone from the outer race. 

• Like 1

MAH

Here's a close up of what is left of the end of the shaft. Thankfully when I took the case together the other day the pulley was poorly welded and I was able to use a drift to get it off. 

1468888413007-2058818482.jpg

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Great pictures MAH.  I would replace that input shaft.  In a couple of the pics, you can see that the shaft is worn where the one bearing disintegrated.  This may mean that a new seal will not work on the shaft and will leak.  This is too easy to replace.  Send a PM to @racinfool40 (Mike), if he does not have one, I do.  If you can save the pulley...excellent.  The bearings and seal you need to replace...KOYO or Torrington B-1212 bearings (2) and SKF 7410 for the seal (1).  These are available from NAPA or Motion Industries.  The inside bearing should be placed so it is flush with the rim of the inside case...the outer bearing is recessed enough to let the seal be flush with the outside of the case.  The gasket for the transmission halves is a #3912, available from TORO for about $6.

Do you need a copy of the transmission manual?  I also have some videos of putting the trans together if you like??  :)

Edited by stevasaurus
  • Like 1

stevasaurus

Mark, I typed the above before I saw your PM.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

MAH

That is fine. I will try to contact him and will let you know. We are getting ready to leave for vacation on Saturday. When I drained the case there was water in it but no rust. I put a light coating of grease on everything before I reassembled it to keep it from corrosion. Everything cleaned up pretty well with saftey clean. I just want to replace the other seals (does anyone have a list of seal part numbers for all the seals needed) but can the case be put back together with sealant rather than a gasket? This was my original intentions. 

Yes I will need a copy of the transmission manual. 

Sorry for any bad grammar I'm typing this quickly on my lunch break

Mark 

Edited by MAH
  • Like 1

stevasaurus

Buy the gasket...do not use sealant by itself or with the gasket.  $6 from TORO #3912.  4 seals...3 of them for the axles and brake shaft #SKF-9815...one for the input shaft  SKF #7410.  The seals are available from Motion Industries, NAPA, autozone.  The 9815's are about $2.77 apiece...the 7410 is about $3.38.  :)

The transmission manual...you want Section II.

492-4004.pdf (application/pdf Object)

• Like 1

MAH

Thank you for all the help so far, it is greatly appreciated.  Does anyone know where to get the rubber boot for the top of the trans and the shift lever or what are you using? 

rmaynard

Part number 3577, still available from Toro for about $6.00.

• Like 2

MAH

IMG_20160712_194222134.jpgBearings for the input shaft and all the seals are ordered and will be here Friday all the other bearings cleaned up great and run smoothly. I have to get the case gasket and shift rod boot to put it together but we are off to vacation Saturday so it will be at least a week till i can work on it again :-/  

One picture is the young man helping with disassembly and the other is the paint match. The original looks a little more orange but close enough. I did a touch up on my 518 deck with it and you can't even see a difference. The paint is Tallman's AG Specialty coatings 5455 0 IH red (2150)

IMG_20160720_180458688.jpg

Edited by MAH
  • Like 2