Buzz

1968 Commando 8 8 speed

Buzz

A friend has two Commando 8s with the same model number, 1-4831. One is the normal 4 speed, the other is an 8 speed. The book says they were all 4 speeds has anyone else seen this model with the 8 speed? Here are some pictures.IMG_4758.JPGIMG_4759.JPGIMG_4760.JPGIMG_4758.JPG

• Like 8

AMC RULES

I'm betting...  :dunno:

the original rear was swapped out at some point. 

• Like 4

Sparky

I agree with Craig...someone has probably done a tranny swap. What does the decal say that is covered (in the pics) behind the hi/low shifter?

Mike.........

• Like 3

Wheel-N-It
1 hour ago, AMC RULES said:

I'm betting...  :dunno:

the original rear was swapped out at some point. 

Is there a sticker by the Hi/Low range selector that shows two ranges from the factory?

• Like 1

rjg854

both mine are 3 speeds w/ reverse, and that's what the owner's manual says they're supposed to be

• Like 1

KC9KAS

Looks like the shift pattern has the HI/LOW decal on the 8 speed.

Looks like it had the tranny swap as well as the shift pattern plate. OR Wheel Horse just made a 8 speed out of this one.

We all know that just as soon as we think we know everything to know about a model someone finds an exception!

• Like 2

MalMac

If you do a tranny swap you have to change the shifter plate because a 3 speed plate is too big, the plate like what's on a 867 is shorter to allow room for the Hi-lo shifter.

Edited by MalMac
  • Like 3

953 nut
1 hour ago, KC9KAS said:

Looks like the shift pattern has the HI/LOW decal on the 8 speed.

Looks like it had the tranny swap as well as the shift pattern plate. OR Wheel Horse just made a 8 speed out of this one.

We all know that just as soon as we think we know everything to know about a model someone finds an exception!

Could have been the Ponds giving us yet another conundrum to ponder!

• Like 4

T-Mo

I ran across a 1968 Commando 8 with a 8 speed in it, but the owner said he changed out the transmission as the old 3 speed was shot.  I also in the camp that this one shown here had the tranny swapped out at one point.

• Like 4

elliot ness

Garden tractors like cars and trucks had some odd ones made, I had a early square body chevy 1/2 ton step side, that was 1 of 1 made. So maybe this W/H is original?

Horse46

I know nothing, I wasn't aware the commando was a short frame of that model, I thought they were a derivative of the C series! Every day is a school day :D

stevasaurus

I'm thinking it is factory.  If it is not, somebody sure did a nice job.  Look at the paint...the shades of red all match like it has always been that way.  :think:

MalMac

Steve, as you taught me, could it be verified by looking to see if it's a 6 speed or a 8 speed. If it was changed out I would think it might be a 6 because of the shorter shift plate, meaning they probably would have had a doner tractor possibly of right vintage. If it's a 8 wouldn't have a modified brake rod? If it's a six speed that someone stuck in there along with all approtriate plates and brake hardware it would be hard to confirm if OEM or a switch out.

• Like 1

JimD

In pics 2 and 3 the paint looks darker and shinier on the shifter decal plate than on the dash tower right in front of it. Just my opinion.

• Like 2

stevasaurus

MalMac...that is the next place to go.  The transmission that came with the 1-4831 would be a 3 speed #5053.  The #5053 would have the brake drum on the mushroom gear shaft (the hole closest to the axle housing...thus a 6 speed should bolt right in with no linkage changes.  If it is factory...it would have a 6 speed.  If the brake drum on Buzz's horse is on the cluster gear shaft (the next hole toward the front) it is an 8 speed and no way that is factory.

Another question...would a dealer change out the trans for a costumer when he ordered the horse??  I think they would...why not??  :think:

• Like 2

MalMac

It would have to had been a special order. When we were selling them back then I don't remember any special orders. Only thing I remember was if a customer wanted ag tire's or not. I was quite young so memory is starting to fade a tad. If a customer wanted a option. The option was put on at the dealer. Ex- hydro lifts, head lights, hub caps, etc. Now I have seen strang things come out of the factory. They most definitely used what was setting on the shelf. At the end of a model year and beginning of the next. I remember seeing miss match tire's as far as manufacture. Same tread but different maker. Even different shades of paint from when they changed batches. On some of are old dealer ordering info. They would offer tractors that would have techy's on them as advertised but have a option for a dealer to order Kohlers on them instead. 

• Like 3