cruisnblue48

Menges Mills show July 15-17

cruisnblue48

Loaded up and ready roll to the the Menges Mills tractor show this weekend at the 4-H Center near Spring Grove, PA. Any other RedSquare members going to the show this weekend? Weather should be a bit on the hot side but otherwise near perfect.

WP_20160714_19_09_22_Rich.jpg

• Like 6

roadapples

Planning on going Sat.  I`ll look you up...

Edited by roadapples
  • Like 2

rmaynard

Not familiar with that show. :scratchead: 

Ed Kennell

Like Bob, I wasn't aware of this show either Dave.  Here is the link.  Unfortunately I loaned my trailer to my son yesterday to haul 4 wheelers to the mountains this weekend, so I can't bring any tractors, but may come to look.  

Dave, do you know when Wildfire will be pulling?      Looks like garden tractor pull is Sunday @ 12:30.

mengeslogo.JPG

• Like 1

cruisnblue48
14 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

Like Bob, I wasn't aware of this show either Dave.  Here is the link.  Unfortunately I loaned my trailer to my son yesterday to haul 4 wheelers to the mountains this weekend, so I can't bring any tractors, but may come to look.  

Dave, do you know when Wildfire will be pulling?      Looks like garden tractor pull is Sunday @ 12:30.

mengeslogo.JPG

Seems like tractor shows around here in York County, PA don't get too much media publicity if any at all. Many of them just seem like local community events. As for pulling with Wildfire, the Sunday event here at this show is a fun pull for mostly for kids with purely stock tractors. I will probably pass. Look for Wildfire next month at the Dover Olde Tyme Days. Just might do the competition pull there. Been a while since I pushed those other Cub Cadet pullers to their limits, ha!

Here's my line up at the Menges Mills show... 1955 RJ-35, 1958 RJ-58, 1962 502, and my 1977 C-120 Wildfire puller. Looks like a decent turnout of Wheel Horse tractors here. I will post more photos of the Red ones tomorrow.

WP_20160715_17_48_53_Rich_(2).jpg

Edited by cruisnblue48
  • Like 5

Ed Kennell

Looks like you have  a nice cool shady layout Dave.

I won't make it tomorrow.  I actually have an auction that is selling several :wh:s.       With you in Spring Grove and if ericj isn't at the auction, I may have a shot at buying one.  :laughing-rofl:

I was going to come on Sunday, but if you aren't pulling Wildfire, you won't need my spare key.  :ychain:

Keep the pics coming.

Here's the link for Dovers show next month.   Hope to see you there.

oldetymedays_small.jpg   http://oldetymedays.org/

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 2

cruisnblue48

Just took a tour of the show grounds... Not as many Wheel Horses here than I thought. I counted about 13... and four of those are mine. This tractor show is well attended by the full sized farm tractors and hundreds of hit or miss engines, lots of vendors. Still one of the better tractor shows I've been to.

WP_20160716_10_13_24_Rich.jpg

WP_20160716_10_13_04_Rich.jpg

WP_20160716_10_14_04_Rich.jpg

WP_20160716_10_13_44_Rich.jpg

WP_20160716_10_15_57_Rich.jpg

WP_20160716_10_15_35_Rich.jpg

WP_20160716_10_44_54_Rich.jpg

WP_20160716_10_43_16_Rich.jpg

WP_20160716_10_22_13_Rich.jpg

WP_20160716_10_16_24_Rich.jpg

WP_20160716_10_29_36_Rich.jpg

WP_20160716_10_22_33_Rich.jpg

WP_20160716_10_41_10_Rich.jpg

Edited by cruisnblue48
  • Like 3

cruisnblue48
On 7/15/2016 at 10:03 PM, Ed Kennell said:

Looks like you have  a nice cool shady layout Dave.

I won't make it tomorrow.  I actually have an auction that is selling several :wh:s.       With you in Spring Grove and if ericj isn't at the auction, I may have a shot at buying one.  :laughing-rofl:

Well now Ed, that's ok with me, I guess... Since I just had someone at the show on Saturday offer me what he said was an RJ-58 without an engine for $50. I think I have a shot at this one just because you and Eric and Bob Maynard are NOT here at this show, ha! :icecream:

btw, one can never have too many keys I suppose :rolleyes:

Edited by cruisnblue48
  • Like 2

cruisnblue48

So, I'm riding my dad's restored 1962 Wheel Horse tractor in the tractor parade at the Menges Mills show on Saturday. I take my time getting in line, well so that just gives me more seat time joining the parade near the back of the long line. While making our way slowly up to the parade announcer's interview, there are not one, but TWO John Deere garden tractors in the parade ahead of me that stall and just shut down. As the parade line passes around them, I resist the urge to say out loud, "Hey, you shoulda got a Wheel Horse, of course". I just didn't want to come across as being a tractor racist or anything like that, you know, just because red tractors ARE way more better than green tractors. But hey, I guess green tractors matter, eh.

Edited by cruisnblue48
  • Like 3

Ed Kennell

Nice restraint on the sick Deere Dave.....no need to kick em when they are down.    How'd you make out on the $50 RJ ?

• Like 3

T-Mo
On 7/14/2016 at 10:32 PM, cruisnblue48 said:

Loaded up and ready roll to the the Menges Mills tractor show this weekend at the 4-H Center near Spring Grove, PA. Any other RedSquare members going to the show this weekend? Weather should be a bit on the hot side but otherwise near perfect.

WP_20160714_19_09_22_Rich.jpg

Not to take this too far off topic, but love your Dakota.  Yours looks to be the newer (last) generation's design, 2005-2011.  Is it 4WD?  V8?  I have a 2001 Dakota Quad Cab 4WD with the 4.6L and it's my primary trailer puller.

BTW, nice pictures.  You have some very nice looking horses on that trailer.

cruisnblue48
10 hours ago, T-Mo said:

Not to take this too far off topic, but love your Dakota.  Yours looks to be the newer (last) generation's design, 2005-2011.  Is it 4WD?  V8?  I have a 2001 Dakota Quad Cab 4WD with the 4.6L and it's my primary trailer puller.

I have a 2006 Dakota SLT quad cab with a 4.7L Magnum V-8. Bought it new 10 years ago and have almost 90,000 miles on it. Probably the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned.

• Like 1

cruisnblue48
12 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

How'd you make out on the $50 RJ ?

Well, I started loading up my trailer at about 4:00 pm Sunday at the end of the show. Practically gave up on the RJ because I didn't see him today. So, then he shows up and asks if I'm still interested and I said depends on what it looks like. He said it looked a lot like my early RJ-58 that I had there at the show but without an engine and that it was basically a parts tractor although he would have liked to fix it up but didn't have the time. So he was letting it go or was going to scrap it. So I went to look at it and immediately liked what I saw for $50. He asked if I had room on my trailer for it and I said one way or another, it was going to fit on there with my other four. I scored big time! Looked like it was always kept dry indoors, no rust anywhere, transaxle worked as it should, and best of all lots of good, straight, clean parts... nearly perfect hood, fenders, tool box, seat, steering wheel, and the frame was in really good shape. I figured there was at least $400 worth of quick sale parts if I want to part it out. I did notice a date code cast on top of the transaxle housing... C13-9 tells me it was cast March 13, 1959 if I'm correct about that. Probably built as an RJ-59 sometime after that date. So, here is the late arrival at this show that I scored for $50... came with a clean gas tank as well. The hood is set up on a piece of steel channel riser apparently for a larger engine... good news is the hood is perfect and not cut up or rusted. You see, this is what happens when all you other RedSquare dudes fail to show up at a tractor show in my neighborhood, ha! :icecream: There's more goodies for me. Yup, I scored a good one today... Very much a restorable project.

WP_20160717_16_24_19_Rich.jpg

Edited by cruisnblue48
  • Like 5

Ed Kennell

WTG Dave....:thumbs2:.      Great score and I like the front porch you added to the trailer.

• Like 2

T-Mo
12 hours ago, cruisnblue48 said:

I have a 2006 Dakota SLT quad cab with a 4.7L Magnum V-8. Bought it new 10 years ago and have almost 90,000 miles on it. Probably the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned.

I meant to say mine has the 4.7 also, not 4.6.