CasualObserver

Dealer List

Lane Huls

Machledt Stables Montezuma, IN on an 877 I acquired this weekend.

20160531_063952.jpg

• Like 3

CasualObserver
On 5/27/2016 at 10:10 PM, J.A. said:

Terpstras sales and service, in business since 1943. Griffith Indiana 

Terpstra's has been on the list since post #5 :thumbs: I didn't have their open date though, so thanks!

TIGman

Don't know if you have this one,

Cedar Springs Tractor 

Cedar Springs,MI 49319

In business mid 1950'S

Went out of business in the early 90's

• Like 1

sscotsman

I added the listing for:

Knapp and Trau, Fairport, NY

The dealer sticker is still on my 1964 model 854.

You can indicate them as "closed"..I know for a fact they no longer exist.

thanks,

Scot

• Like 1

TDF5G

I ran across this old article a few days ago while digging through a closet for something else.  Dorris Kincaid was the local Wheel Horse Dealer here in Excelsior Springs MO.   It was a human interest feature in the local Daily Standard newspaper from 1999.

Here is brief bio:  After Kincaid was discharged from military service he bought an existing local small service station in 1946, which evolved into selling mowers and small engine repair.  He eventually sold the station and moved the small engine business to the garage in his home. He later expanded the garage and eventually built a separate shop next to the house. He became a Wheel Horse Dealer sometime around 1956-1958.  I think he told me 1956, but I'm not certain.  My grandparents lived across the street from him and I remember it from visiting there in the 60s.  My uncle recalls putting the roof on his new shop in 1958 and he sold WHs at that time.  

I purchased the house next door to the Kincaids in 1989 when I was 25.  He was a friend of my family and I knew him since I was a kid as my Dad bought many tractors, implements and parts from him along with my uncles and I did also.  He ran the business until his death in 2006.   We were also neighbors until his and Mrs Kincaid's death in 2013.   My folks, along with my daughter and myself, were able to attend his funeral and graveside service in 2006.  I took a pic of the tombstone last year on Memorial Day.  Mrs. Kincaid had the WH tractor and logo engraved on it, which I think is most appropriate.  Brings back many memories for me, so I thought I'd share with y'all.

KINCAID 1999 cropped.jpg

TOMBSTONE 002.jpg

Edited by TDF5G
  • Like 2

coldbear

Central Sales, Miamisburg, Ohio. A family run dealer for many years. Then the  land was sold for city development and the operation was moved to Route 25 south of Miamisburg. Bob, the owner sold the operation to his son Rob and I had my dealer back again. A very dry spring/summer did the place in financially and the dealership folded in three years. Man I missed the countership I had with those guys. They also had one of the best chainsaw men in the business. When in a pinch with your saw, a loaner would come from the back of the counter, no charge while yours was being serviced. How many box stores will do that for you today? I loved the smells of those wooden floors.

• Like 2

R. L. Addison

The first Wheel Horses I saw were at Ross lawn mower shop in Carbondale Il. in 1965 (1075 & 855 ?) where I worked part time for a short time. He later sold out to Hanley Nursery on U.S. (?) 51 south of Carbondale. 1967 or 1968(?) and later were sold & serviced by Orville(?) Nance after the demise of Hanley Nursery.

In 1974 I bought my first NEW (C160) with a loader (Ark) from Graff Implement in Minier Il. (do not remember dates of dealership), but during this time I had several units with different attachments which I did custom work ( I worked nights). I bought parts & such from Byram automotive in Metamora Il., where I also worked part time, Also I bought parts from Nubby, Service in Bloomington/Normal Il. until Bruce Brown bought Nubby out. ( Bought 2nd new unit, a 314w/deck from Bruce for my  wife to use as we both enjoyed working them). I wanted to set up a dealership at that point in Pekin Il. as Illinois Cycle in Pekin & Peoria had gone almost inactive.

Instead, we went into another life in second line support (of front line missioinaries ) in Nairobi.

I now have two C141's (1979) which keep me from being bored in my last years. I still play around with repairs, buying & selling, and other activities to fill my time & still have parts & equipment to build another "c" series if I decide to.

These are most of tyhe dealers I dealt with since starting with Wheel Horses about 1966.

dunngawn

Edited by R. L. Addison
  • Like 3

coldbear

The old Wheel Horses and the people that designed and built them were the cornerstones of America. And the dealers were the mortar between the bricks. They built the machines to work daily and last for decades without much incident.

• Like 5

TDF5G
13 hours ago, coldbear said:

The old Wheel Horses and the people that designed and built them were the cornerstones of America. And the dealers were the mortar between the bricks. They built the machines to work daily and last for decades without much incident.

and many of us are still using them today!  

Well said.

• Like 2

ACman

image.jpeg

Weingartz Supply Co , 46061 Van Dyke , Utica Mi. Still in business 

Edited by ACman
  • Like 2

ACman

S&K Farm and Garden 3249 S. M52 Owosso Mi. 48867  est .1984  still open for business.

Thank you @benji756 for the info :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

Thor27

The cool part, at least for me on these old tractors is the stories.  I recently bought a C-120 in western Wa that was bought new at Daniel Implement, Frisco TX, brought out here by elderly owner.  

• Like 2

kdeatrick

I used my Ancestry.com login to look around the Gettysburg Times Here are some local dealers:

Becker's Lawn and Garden Equipment, 864 Broadway, Hanover, PA - Closed a few years ago. Found an ad in March 1973 saying they were the newest Wheelhorse dealer. I found more info that they opened in 1947.

Kane's Lawn Mower Shop, Arendtsville, PA (Found ad in 1965 that they are now authorized dealer, more ads into the 70's)

Staub's Lawn Mower Service, 116 Chambersburg St., Arendtsville, PA (Found ads in 1981 to 1986)

Shealer's Motor Clinic, 28 N. Stratton St., Gettysburg, PA - (1960's ads)

Waldes Motor Repair, 2612 York Rd., Gettysburg, PA - Wheel Horse ads from 1978 - Still open 

Adams County Lawn Mower and Truck Repair, McKnightstown, PA - Ads from 1975

Watson's Garden Center,1620 York Rd, Lutherville-Timonium, MD

• Like 3

Gander Lander

I'm 52 years old now but I worked as a Wheel Horse Mechanic thru high school at Woodies Rental in Warsaw, IN. they were a full sales and service dealer. I can still remember driving our delivery truck to south bend, IN.  to pick up tractors. I wish I would have appreciated them as a kid as I do today. back then it was a job, not a love.

• Like 4

Thatoneguy

I have all the original Paperwork and even a few letters the original owner wrote to the company to get a parts manual! I will post some pictures tonight when I get home! A lot of interesting things! A 2 star General bought the tractor new down in South Texas. Back then a parts manual was $1.00!

Edited by mower

ohiofarmer

Phillipsburg Hardware. North of Dayton. Ohio on State route 49. The store managed to support a nice couple and their adult children with the son Ron running the Wheel Horse section across the street. They had a display at The great Darke County Fair every year with a few items like ice cream freezers and of course the tractors..They finally had to sell out, but I still remember those wood floors with the boiled linseed oil finish.The Darke County Fair has changed away from the 'boiled linseed oil" era as well, but we still have our memories.

The buildings are occupied with a furniture store who sells Chinese manufactured bedding and stuff like that

• Like 1

Wildhorse

This dealer sticker was on my lawn ranger when I bought it from original owner 20 years ago. 

image.png

• Like 5

Jerry77

Cooper's Wheel Horse sales and service -    Clear Spring, Indiana   It was an old dealership - I bought two from them in the 90's - super nice people  ( Jim Cooper )      closed

• Like 1

cschannuth

I lived in Casey, IL for a few years in the late 80's and bought a 416-8 there but I can't remember the name of the place. Hillerman Nursery in Washington, MO has been a dealer for as long as I can remember and I still buys parts from them from time to time. 

• Like 2

Elkskin's mower junkyard
On 6/14/2013 at 4:41 AM, MalMac said:

My Granddad ran a Dealership out of are farm. It turned into quite a large dealership always had no less than 12 to 14 tractors setting on the floor at one time plus every attachment you could think of. He started the dealership in the late 50's and we closed it in the late 70's.

McAleer's Hardware

Morocco, IN. (out in the middle of NO-Where)

Distributer was RECO of Indianapolis IN. Though sometimes we did go straight to the factory for some things.

I was lucky enough to get to meet C. Pond when he would travel with a factory rep. He dropped in a few times.

Was lucky enough to keep old the old dealers Manuals, Paperwork, Advertising paperwork and gimmicks. Nos parts (which are almost all gone now)

do you live near morocco because i live in lake village lol

CasualObserver
On 6/29/2016 at 7:26 AM, mower said:

I have all the original Paperwork and even a few letters the original owner wrote to the company to get a parts manual! I will post some pictures tonight when I get home! A lot of interesting things! A 2 star General bought the tractor new down in South Texas. Back then a parts manual was $1.00!

any update?

T-Mo

These two are already on the list, both open.  First one is an image I pulled off the Wheel Horse Junkie FB page and is in Ohio.  Second one is Mueller Motors in Desoto, Missouri.  The third image is of the tractor that sits inside Mueller's.  That Wheel Horse has been on display there for as long as I can remember.

dealer sign.jpg

Mueller Front Store.jpg

RJ-58 Mueller.jpg

• Like 3

Abe01

This thread is really interesting.... And kind of depressing since now I know why I can't find any :think:, only two dealerships in :flags-texas: means there weren't very many new in my state..... Really enjoy looking at all the pictures though!

Gracie's Dad

I found another sticker on an 875 wheelhorse in the upper peninsula of michigan the came back to Warren barber Inc in plainwell, gull lake michigan.

• Like 1

jay bee

Warren Barber Boats and Motors was a business located in Plainwell, MI and a second store a few years later in the Gull Lake area.  I know he was in the marine business and I'm pretty sure he got into the lawn and garden business also, so he could have been a Wheel Horse Dealer during that time.

Jim

• Like 1