CasualObserver

Dealer List

Wheelhorsestory

Great topic.

I am glad that the history interests you.  It is my passion.  I have a complete list of the distributors and dealers in the archives.  I won't be able to help right now, as I am very busy getting ready for the debut of my new book this week. Give me a couple of weeks and I'll dig it out.  It is a fairly large document so I don't know if I could post all of it.

Looking forward to this Friday,

Michael Martino :)

• Like 2

BOWTIE

I THOUGHT OF ANOTHER IN MARRIETTA OHIO. APEX HARDWARE HE IS A TORO AND OTHERS DEALER TODAY AND STILL CARRIES A LOT OF WH PARTS (COMPLETE MOWER DECKS). I HAVE SOLD VERN WRIGHT 3 NICE NEWER TRACTORS THAT HE RE-SELLS. IT HAS A LIST OF PEOPLE WANTING THE 300-400-500 SERIES TRACTORS.

BOWTIE IN OHIO

CasualObserver

Krumm Sales & Service in Des Moines, IA is no longer in operation.  I stopped in a few months back to wrestle up some parts and they had shut the doors and cleared the place out.  I've been by there many times since and it is now a ghost town.  

Sad to see.  Terry was a good guy, and really knew his stuff. 

Thanks for the update.  I was unaware of that.  I had dealt with Terry on some snowmobile stuff about two or three years ago.  They were one of the original dealers that sold Wheel Horse Snowmobiles.

CasualObserver

Great topic.

I am glad that the history interests you.  It is my passion.  I have a complete list of the distributors and dealers in the archives.  I won't be able to help right now, as I am very busy getting ready for the debut of my new book this week. Give me a couple of weeks and I'll dig it out.  It is a fairly large document so I don't know if I could post all of it.

Looking forward to this Friday,

Michael Martino :)

Thank you Michael, that would be fantastic.  If you're able and willing to share, it could be simply scanned to PDF and posted in the files.  Karl or any of the other Mods can assist you with it if you need.

I wish I could make it Friday, but I will have to be one of your RedSquare internet sales. 

SearsvilleSnow

A few more former Wheel Horse dealers from the Hudson Valley area of New York:

Majestic Hardware - Gardiner, NY- still in business

Dombrowski's - Florida, NY- still in business

G&G Lawn and Power - Stone Ridge, NY- still in business 

Newburgh Power Equipment - Newburgh, NY- still in business 

I have a 1988 or so 416-8 that has a dealer tag with the name "The Old Mill" from further upstate. I don't know about the status of the business.

Wheelhorsedairyfarmer

K.L. Welch & Sons- Newcomerstown, Ohio. Still in business. Outstanding customer service!! My dad bought my 310-8 there new in 89, and my Charger 12's previous owner bought it there new in 68. 

wheeledhorseman

A couple more Uk entries.

Sole UK distrubutor was G D Mountfield, Maidenhead, Berkshire, England.

Mountfield designed and manufactured rotary mowers but their range didn't extend to ride on machines. Here's an extract from the 'History of the Ride on Graden Tractor'.....

"In the 1960s G. D. Mountfield Ltd., spotted an opportunity and obtained the rights to distribute Wheel Horse products in the UK. They had seen that although the garden tractor market was huge in America, with over 750,000 models being sold every year, in the UK the market wasn't really moving. The Berkshire Company took full advantage of their liaison with Wheel Horse and within a very short space of time Wheel Horse tractors sold more than all other garden tractor makes combined."

I have read elsewhere that they continued as the distributor until Toro purchased WH.

Two more UK dealerships:

Multipower Equipment, Effingham, Surrey, England not certain when they started yet but they certainly existed in the 80s - 90s and now trade as MPS Mowers, Effingham and are Hayter main agents (Toro bought Hayter, a long established UK manufacturer, a couple of years back and Hayter now distribute Toro stuff in the UK)

B H White & Son, Cannington, Somerset, England they still exist at the same adress found on a dealership decal on a GT-14 but listed now as agricultural supplies - will try and find out if this still includes ride-ons.

Jason, I'm keeping the locations to a simple standard i.e. Town, County, Country within UK

The county boundaries were altered in 1974 but you'll find a map of the pre-74 counties here (probably the most relevant):

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/Britain.html

Big cities like Glasgow in Scotland do not belong in a County as they are responsible for their own local government.

Andy

js5020

Just scraped the sticker off a 73 16 Auto,,,,, Eldon Wolfe, RD1 Berwick PA,,,,,  was one of the local WH dealers  for many years,,, and they are closed.

Indy520H

i've seen two in central indiana.  Still have the old signs and everything.  I'll stop and get pictures next time i get by them.

Retired Wrencher

:USA::wh:   I have this one in Ct. I do not know if it is open or not maybe some one in the area can chime in. Gary    B........     th_657comeshome002_zpsc73d1cd3.jpg

• Like 1

Bluffhunter

Cecil's Engine Service in Marshfield, Missouri was where mine came from. I think he was in business, before retiring, for 35 years. Employed the same mechanic for all those years, whom I still talk to every now and then.

ba2988

Here are a few from NC.

Aldridge-Durham Saw & Mower

2525 Highway 70 E.

Durham NC  27703

- Still in business and has been operating over 50 years.

Barfield's Equipment Inc. 1970-200?

9908 Albemarle Rd

Charlotte Nc  28227

Buckshot 1

:) Lees Outdoor Power, New Haven, IN. Still has plenty of OE WH parts and a few WH's laying around. :flags-usa:

Wheelhorsedairyfarmer

Another Ohio Dealer, Eckert Bros. In Sugarcreek, Ohio. Still in business. Also sells Case Construction and Gehl Farm Equipment. 

DMK855

I have a plow here with the same Mast Mower Service sticker as the picture posted on the first page.

My Charger 12 Was sold by Chester County Timber in Unionville, Pa.

And I will have to check the others now....

Don1977

Haywood Richmond Hardware, Concord, NC that is where I bought my C-120. ( Closed )    Philips Electric, Kannapolis, NC. (Closed)    Brown Supply, Granite Quarry, NC. Sold out Wheel Horse parts to Faith Farm Equipment Co. that has now moved to Salibury, NC still open and selling Wheel Horse parts.

Chevydave

Northeast Ohio - Capell's  - bought my 416-8 new there in '89

Became an outdoor furniture and fireplace store around 2005 I think.

specialwheelhorse

Steve Myers Service

401 south Dixie Hwy

Cridersville Ohio 45806

419-645-4283

Current Toro-Wheel horse Dealer

If they don't have it they will sure get it for you if available

Lady behind the counter knows Wheel horse inside and out.

Usually have a few old horses around.Very nice folks !!!

Jake217

There was Gasoline Alley in Lakeville MA. They were  not around very long.  I wrenched for them in1988.  The first Wheel Horse I ever saw there was the 88 520H. I fell in love with the brand right there.

Also, J.W. Wilbur & Sons in Easton, MA. Joe' s well into his eighties now and still does mechanical; no more sales. I think he's been around since the early 70's.

JimD

Miller Lawn and Garden, Garrettsville, Ohio. opened in the late sixties I think, still open today.

wh-jason

I grew up in my grandparents dealership, it was "Zook's Hardware" They started selling Wheel Horses around 1965 in Burlington, Indiana. They moved the store to Kokomo, Indiana around 1986 and closed in 1997 when Lowes opened about 1/2 mile down the street. (damn those big box stores lol) Most of my early childhood was spent in their store, my cousin and I still tell grandma and grandpa stories about the things we did and got away with in that building.  They also sold Stihl, Lawn Boy, and Simplicity, it was also a Tru-Value Hardware store. A couple years ago I found a brochure of blackhoods with the dealerships sticker on it.  I took it to my local sign shop and had him print me a page of them on vinyl so I could put them on my horses.

8C86FA7C-9070-4AE4-9DFD-EA91C5265D23-796

• Like 4

wallfish

Gauvin Supply Co. South Grafton MA.

Still in business as far as I know and bought some blower belts there a few years back. 

TomT

baerpath's sign and all the other stuff I had at the show came from:

Modern Way Supply

Kane, Pa

Owned and operated by three generations of the James family - including Kane's long-time Mayor - Edgar "Jesse" James. A Wheel Horse Dealer from 1957- late 90's 

About the only thing I didn't sell or give away at the show is an RJ that Edgar Jr (third generation/my brother in law) is restoring for Edgar IV and Mackenzie - his grandchildren.

So, that's a 5 generation Wheel Horse family!

Oh, by the way, I told many folks at the show "that I was not emotionally attached to Wheel Horses" - I got over that :)

B-100 Dan

Kemp's Wheel Horse, Shinglehouse, Pa. Now Canfield's Lawn and Garden Center, again Shinglehouse, Pa. Still open.

posifour11

Midway hardware lumber co.

1600 east 32nd st. Joplin mo 64801

Kearney mills motor supply co

Miami, OK 74054

Anderson's car and tractor

Joplin, mo

Still in business

Anderson car market

Carthage, mo