bhark24

Ignition coil number

bhark24

C160 Kohler 16 HP. Mid 70's model. I don't have model number of engine available as I'm at work. But it's the standard round coil +- posts with coil wire hole in center. Can anybody give me an aftermarket part number or the original part number and maybe I can do some cross checking. I have intermittent spark on a brand new set of points and condenser. Thank You! Bill

Image is the model number of the tractor to give you an idea of the year. Motor is original. Entire tractor is original as it was sold at our families dealership back in the day. I just acquired it last week. 

IMG_20160708_091331436.jpg

Edited by bhark24
Added image

AMC RULES

New condensers don't always work...   :dunno:

wonder, did you replace the plug and wire too? 

• Like 1

bhark24

I did test plug on another motor. It fired fine. I didn't install in head and run motor but it had spark the entire time. I did not replace plug wire. Motor did run before I washed it. Will see if plug wire will work on other engine for a test fire. Condenser and points were or are a brand new Kohler set not generics. But guess I had not thought of that possibility.

squonk

Napa IC64SB coil

953 nut
8 hours ago, bhark24 said:

Condenser and points were or are a brand new Kohler set not generics. But guess I had not thought of that possibility.

I would begin be checking the points gap again. To check a condenser just unhook it, if the problem clears then it was the condenser.

bhark24

It was def the coil. Replacedbit this am with an new original Kohler coil. A mere $103.75 for a coil. But problem solved. Thanks all.

oldredrider

Not meaning to rub anything in, but that same coil as Squonk suggested above, is $27.00 at NAPA. 

• Like 1

squonk

I used to sell a ton of those IC64Sb's to the Menonites and Amish for their homemade power plants. If it had a motor something would get connected to it somehow. :) K-Cars, Puegot's, Renault's, it didn't matter! :banana-wrench:

Edited by squonk