Sign in to follow this  
GlenPettit

Kohler K241

GlenPettit

My trusty C-101 that always starts and works so wonderful for the last 30 years (I'm original owner) just went crazy. The 10hp engine is really backfiring, every 3-4 seconds for the first times, starting today (when I need it to push snow). Temperature is 15

kpinnc

There are many things that could cause the backfiring. My tractors do it sometimes in the spring- the humidity is CRAZY here, and sometimes I get condensation in the fuel tank, especially the plastic ones. It settles on the sediment bowl on the carb, and runs awfully until I drain them. But in the temps you're talking about, I just don't know if that is an issue.

On the tranny- If it's a hydro you'll need to let it run for a bit before the oil will be warm enough to flow freely. If it's an 8 speed, is there any chance there might be some water in there? I've read that's a big problem up north- water in the case freezing and locking up the tranny.

Wish I could be more help...

Kevin

GlenPettit

Thanks Kevin:

Good start and you gave me some excellent ideas I didn't consider.

The humidity up here has been extreemly high, 80

HORSEOFCOURSE

my k301, basically the same motor, in my deere was doing the same thing and i thought it was the points. i changed them and they didn;t look bad at all. then i went to change the condensor and the wire had broken off and just sitting inside the part where it goes in. i set the gap at .020 and she runs like a champ. t also started sputtering the other day. and i leaned the carb out a little bit. i think the needle had worked loose a little. as far as its a hydro on your other tractor, if it takes hydraulic fluif you could trya synthetic fluid that will flow better in the winter time. i know amsoil make a synthetic. i was thinking abot using it in my v8 simplicity hydrostatic. it it takes motor oil which some of the older ones did you could use mobil one or something along that lines. good luck :hide: