blackwater73

416 8 tractor 1993

blackwater73

My tractor will not start.  The starter will not crank.  It will not turn over. Checked fuses and everything is fine.  Could it be the ignition?  If so, can I find a part number somewhere?  Thanks for the info.

Horse46

Have you tried by passing the starter solenoid, by taking a starter lead from the positive side of battery to the other side of the solenoid?

• Like 2

KC9KAS

Sounds like a safety switch problem....especially if it started and ran recently.

• Like 1

daveoman1966

I just ran into the exact same issue with my 314-8.  Started and ran for about 30 seconds, then died and will not restart, although the starter does crank it over....I have no spark is the current problem.

Any help? ? ?

• Like 1

Horse46

@daveoman1966 If you have no spark I would start with what KC9KAS suggests to start with and make sure you have the PTO disengaged as well as this can cause embarrassment, don't ask me how i know :rolleyes:

• Like 2

OHRob72

I had the same issue with one of my 416s this weekend as well. The Kohler engine does not turn over and the lights don't work either. I had the battery checked to make sure that it was not the issue. I have a feeling that it is the ignition that is the cause of the problem. I am going to remove the ignition from my other 416 and see what happens. I'll also remove and try the safety switch out of it as KC9KAS noted might be the issue. I'll try one at a time and see which one might might solve this problem.

• Like 1

gwest_ca
1 hour ago, OHRob72 said:

I had the same issue with one of my 416s this weekend as well. The Kohler engine does not turn over and the lights don't work either. I had the battery checked to make sure that it was not the issue. I have a feeling that it is the ignition that is the cause of the problem. I am going to remove the ignition from my other 416 and see what happens. I'll also remove and try the safety switch out of it as KC9KAS noted might be the issue. I'll try one at a time and see which one might might solve this problem.

Make sure the identifying letters at each switch terminal are exactly the same on both switches. Some have an M for the magneto ignition terminal and some have an I (eye) for the battery ignition terminal. Get it wrong and there is a good chance the ignition coil will burn up.

As a rule

1/2 of the pto switch feeds the clutch switch on an 8-speed model or neutral switch on an auto model plus some have a low oil switch and relay in the starter circuit.

The other 1/2 of the pto switch controls the ignition circuit with the help of the seat switch.

Garry

• Like 1

OHRob72

Thanks gwest I will make sure they are the same before I swap them out. I don't want to end up replacing more parts than I have to. 

• Like 1

blackwater73

Thanks for all the imfo, I work my my pto levr several times and the tractor roared to life... Thanks again...

• Like 3

blackwater73

Thanks for all the imfo, I work my my pto levr several times and the tractor roared to life... Thanks again...