r1jakecfd

Hi Guys,

I found a Tow-behind model TA1 York rake on craigslist and bought it the other day. I love it so far.

I have a couple quick questions...

1.) How do you know how worn the teeth are and when they need replacement?

2.) Has anyone incorporated a weight system on the rake? If so, how?

Thanks,

John

Essex, Ma

image.jpeg

• Like 5

Retired Sparky

Let me be the first to say Hello & :text-welcomeconfetti:  To :rs:

• Like 1

r1jakecfd

Thanks Sparky! It's good to be here!

Digger 66

I'm always coming in 2nd ..... hello !

• Like 1

r1jakecfd

Nothing wrong with coming in second. Hello!

• Like 1

Forest Road

Welcome! Take looks great. Typically when they're damaged you'll see it, they tend to bed and break. They don't really wear much. I've rented one several times for our shared driveway,  1/4 mile long dirt road. Rake works well depending on aggregate. I came across a 50" mid mount grader blade and it works much better for my needs. 

• Like 1

r1jakecfd

Thanks for the input. 

I have a 50" mid-mount grader blade too but for this latest job, the rake has worked best... Big rocks 4-6" partly buried. 

Also, I have a 520 H now with the hydraulic lift. I actually liked the blade much better on my 310-8 as it had the manual lift and you could control it better.

Thanks for the input!

John

• Like 1

maxiblue

The York rake is nice, I have had mine about 15 years now they do a great job, good luck with it

• Like 1

r1jakecfd

Thanks, I'm loving it so far.

DennisThornton

I've got the same one and it's a Great tool!  Super when rocks are involved and a blade bounces over or worse!  Tangs are fine unless badly bent or missing.  I wouldn't worry too much about wear.  You can weight them somewhat but I would go overboard if you have rocks.  Some have a blade that drops down in front of the tangs to go from blade to rake.  Nice feature as well.

• Like 1

sorekiwi

One mod I did to mine that I really like is that I replaced those little wheels with bigger ((I'm thinking 8" rims) tires.  I found that the tines didnt lift high enough with the little wheels to unload all the crap that the tines had collected.  With the bigger wheels I can raise the tines to leave a pile of debri to be collected later.

York actually does do a tow behind rake with bigger wheels on it, but I forget the model #.  I can get a picture or a tire size if you are interested.  

• Like 1

r1jakecfd

Picture of the wheels would be great. Thank you.

The model # of the rake with the bigger wheels is TA2.

Question: Has anyone had an issue with the lift handle not going into the forward raised position? Mine has a little play in the holes where it hinges and the rod on the bottom of the handle that moves the wheels hits the bottom of the tubular, not allowing it to go into the transport notch position.

Thanks guys,

John