RedRanger

Restoration Poll

Restore or clear coat Patina or leave Original  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer??????

• Restore to New Condition?
    • Clean and Clear Coat the patina?
    • Clean and oil rub/leave natura patina?

RedRanger
7 hours ago, whtractors24 said:

To each there own. I prefer restore to a decent new condition not using any filler etc . Some round hoods I see done look amazing but like Ken said there over done. In the late 50's the paint quality wasn't as good as it is today. 

True, but if you're going to put the extensive time into restoring a tractor, why not do it right?  It comes down to is the owner "restoring" it to original condition or show quality?

Edited by RedRanger
  • Like 1

Texas Todd

I am currently going through this debate on an 856 resto. I have restored two tractors this year to like new, a 1056 and a C-160. I have the 856 on the operating table and am just looking at it and trying to decide...wet sand and clear, or take it down to bare metal and bring back to like new.....I would like to see some examples of clear over patina, if they are out there...I wet sanded a small section and shot some rattle can clear over it.....but brand new and shiny looks good too!clearover.jpg

1056BeforeAfter.jpg

Decisions....Decisions

• Like 2

Dan Hankins

I didn't vote cause I like and appreciate them all restored, custom, or original. I have some in different stages of refreshing and pretty nice original.  I think it all depends on the story behind them, some have sentimental attachments that restoring would ruin in my opinion. My late grandpa's cub cadet 104 is one that I'll never restore just try to preserve the best I can.

• Like 2

Sarge

I'm sort of on the fence both ways - my 1277 is awaiting a "some day" resto but in the meantime it never sits long enough to get it done . In some ways , since the decals are still legible it does carry a certain honor of it's own by just refusing to die and keeps doing whatever I ask of it . I do keep it mechanically repaired and working good with good rubber and such but the engine is really getting tired and starting to leak/burn a bit of oil - I suppose it's about due...

1277_in_shed_122-16_2[1].jpg

But , the 16 Auto has had a quick respray , new decals and mechanically brought up to spec - it's in awesome condition but is still used to do work . I don't abuse it and try not to scratch it but the Valspar has held up really well - this paint job is almost 5yrs old already and still looks great . It draws attention around town doing chores and hauling brush , rock , dirt and such - several people have wanted to buy it ....no dice , no way will I sell it .

Hard to make the call - guess it just depends on the Horse - some will just beg for a restore , others seem happy to just keep working ....

16_Auto_in_driveway_2[1].jpg

Worst decision ever was selling the second 1277 I had started to restore - at least got the hood done and was collecting all the proper decals and parts to finish it completely - but it just sat waiting and nothing worse than a Horse that's not getting used , at least around here ....

1277 from Iowa goodbye.jpg

At least the old girl got a real nice ride on a brand new fancy aluminum trailer - perhaps to a better home...

Sarge

• Like 3

ACman

@Sarge that 1277 looks great the way it is . When it comes time for a engine refresh I'd try to keep as much original paint on the engine and just put it back in . That tractor earned those battle scares and should where them proudly :) . There only original once :twocents-02cents: .

• Like 2

Sarge

True , and I agree to a certain point . I guess I just feel it's earned a full rebuild/repaint and overhaul - the thing has endured so much work and abuse over it's lifespan it's the least I could do...wish it had an hour meter , I'd bet it would raise some eyebrows as I've had and worked it hard for about 15yrs now . Dumb thing still fires right up despite the carb being worn out badly , smoke for a bit and would be ready to go to work in a few minutes , like usual...despite it's broken frame plate .

If I had the cash - the thing would get bronzed and put up on display to the durability of Kohler , Sundstrand and Wheel Horse ....

Sarge

• Like 2

c-series don

I would have to say it all depends on the intended future use of the tractor. If you want a show stopper go for the full on restoration, however once that's done you really won't want to work with it. Original clothes are always good for a worker. This is why, and I've said this before, we need to have many of these machines to suit the job at hand!!! 

Sarge

Even "pretty" stuff around here has to work to earn it's keep , including my Cherry Red Crystal Pearl Dodge pickup - otherwise I won't stand having it . The 16 Auto had gotten a quick refresh and was given to a brother in law . Since he's acquired more property he opted for a big zero turn and the Horse just sat - so , he brought it back . My wife's little brother got this '68 Charger 12 Automatic and still looks great - he's definitely not afraid to work it hard and it's done very well and still looks great .

Sarge

Jerry77

I'm no expert, but I think I would prefer the original look as opposed to restored:  it's kinda like an old fart like me would look like with a face lift and wig -- still just an old fart--- earned it- might just as well wear it...:auto-dirtbike:

oliver2-44

I have a worker one I've debated clear coating to preserve it. I did a test piece and the clear high gloss over patina just didn't look right. Then I rubbed it down with fine rubbing compound and I really like the way it looked with kind of a satin finish.  The satin didn't make it look like you were trying to refinish it, but gave it some protection.  I'm looking for some satin clear to try.   

• Like 1