johnidi

523 Dxi speed and turning speed

johnidi

I own a 523Dxi with a 52" deck and it's my first season using it. It's an awesome machine, but I need it go a bit faster, especially when it comes to turning. I understand (or think I do) that it's designed to slow sharply on turns to prevent it from tipping. Is that correct? But it seem to slow to much. It's faster to just back up, cut the wheel, realign and cut a new row. Any suggestions on increasing the overall speed a bit? THX 

• Like 1

doc724

You can buy a "bypass kit" for the smart steer from Toro.  All it does is replace a link in the steering with a plate that keeps the bleed off link in the straight ahead position.  $45 or so

• Like 3

slammer302

You also might make sure the motion lever on the trans is adjusted right. I got a sweet deal on my xi because it would barely move when turning and it was just needing adjusting. 

• Like 2

Forest Road

Had same issue here w a 522xi. Download toros Maintenance  manual.  It makes life very simple.

First step is to adjust the motion control located behind right rear wheel. If there's a lot of slip in your pedal sheetmetal and tighten all the linkage. You'll be amazed at the difference in speed.

The elimination kit is no longer available. I cut a piece of 3/8 or 1/2 pipe added a bolt and I was done. Someone did a full write up on it last year.

best of luck

• Like 1

johnidi

Thanks. I have the manual and I'll look for the write up from last year.

Forest Road

Here ya go

Word of caution. The tie rod that mounts to hydro motor is Designed to have a loose appearance. If you over tighten it or load it up thread lock you'll most likely bend it at some point. It needs to be able to swivel up and down freely. 

fatboycowen

I hope my write up was helpful. Let us know what you find.

Once you pull the rear fender off the tractor, it makes things really easy to see. Just turn the wheel and activate the hydro pedal and you will see how it all works, and it's easy to see the issue.

Mine was messed up by a previous owner, and was so far out of adjustment that it wasn't worth trying to put it back right. It was easier to simply eliminate the system, and use my right foot to slow down and turn.

fatboycowen

I hope my write up was helpful. Let us know what you find.

Once you pull the rear fender off the tractor, it makes things really easy to see. Just turn the wheel and activate the hydro pedal and you will see how it all works, and it's easy to see the issue.

Mine was messed up by a previous owner, and was so far out of adjustment that it wasn't worth trying to put it back right. It was easier to simply eliminate the system, and use my right foot to slow down and turn.