ClassicTractorProfessor

14 HP Montgomery Wards

ClassicTractorProfessor

Although Wheel Horse are and always will be my favorite garden tractors, they are hard to come by in my area so I have had to resort to other brands to satisfy my tractor buying habit lol. Stopped by a friend's on my way home from picking up a starter for my truck. I had heard through the grapevine that he may have a Wheel Horse with a tiller in his shed. Needless to say no Wheel Horse but did pick up a 14 hp Montgomery Wards tractor and some kind of OLD push mower for $75. Going to take the trailer and pick them up tomorrow so will have pictures for y'all then. May be picking up a 212 Deere from him tomorrow too. And the best part he told me where he spotted a Horse for sale about 10 miles down the road so gonna go look at it too while I'm over there...starting to think I need a bigger trailer 

• Like 4

Wheel-N-It

I think those old Monkey Wards tractors were built by Simplicity. You should check on that though.

ClassicTractorProfessor

I read somewhere earlier that they were made by Simplicity and then I read somewhere else that some were built by Gilson. I'll have to do some more research tomorrow after I get it dug out of Glen's barn and home. 

Wheel-N-It

Gilson, that's correct. I have heard that too.

• Like 2

Don1977

There were some made by Simplicity then later by Gilson.

• Like 2

KC9KAS

We have a GILSON and they made the Montgomery Wards and early FORDS and a bunch of other tractors that were sold in Canada under other names that slips my mind.

Please post photos.

One of the interesting things about Gilson is that they were a brand name in and of themselves, but they also did a tremendous amount of private brand work. The features of the private brands typically lagged the Gilson machines by a year or so, giving the Gilson dealers some advantage. Some of the brands built by Gilson included; LAWN-BOY, Montgomery Ward / Garden Mark, Plymouth (after their home town of Plymouth Wisconsin), Senator, WIZARD sold by Western Auto stores, Mor.power and Mastercraft both sold by Canadian Tire Corporation, BEAVER sold by Beaver Lumber of Canada, TECO sold by Eaton's Department Stores (Thomas Eaton Company) of Canada, BRENTWOOD , MARSHALL-WELLS , ARTISAN, FORD, TOYOTA. and New Holland. See them all here.

I am still looking to pick add PLYMOUTH, Mor.power, ARTISAN, BRENTWOOD, MARSHALL-WELLS and NEW HOLLAND machines. I can't help but believe that there are other Gilson built brands that I've yet to identify, if you have such a machine be sure to Report a Gilson Sighting.

Gilson snowblowers are commonly found in the United States, Canada and the Scandinavian countries. Many Gilson snowblowers are assuming the role of family heirloom as I frequently hear from third generation users seeking to keep machines from parents or grand parents in operation. I still have my dad's Gilson in service.

In 1988 Gilson was acquired by LAWN-BOY. In 1989 LAWN-BOY was acquired by TORO. Currently LawnBoy is handling the GILSON parts and archives. The LawnBoy dealer network is your source for OEM parts. See my FAQ for more info on locating parts. This site is dedicated to providing the resources needed to keep these machines working. You will find resources pertaining to parts and service procedues along with historical information.

My wife's GILSON...almost done!

20160628_172556_zps5ahpxef5.jpg

Edited by KC9KAS
  • Like 6

ClassicTractorProfessor
13 minutes ago, KC9KAS said:

We have a GILSON and they made the Montgomery Wards and early FORDS and a bunch of other tractors that were sold in Canada under other names that slips my mind.

Please post photos.

One of the interesting things about Gilson is that they were a brand name in and of themselves, but they also did a tremendous amount of private brand work. The features of the private brands typically lagged the Gilson machines by a year or so, giving the Gilson dealers some advantage. Some of the brands built by Gilson included; LAWN-BOY, Montgomery Ward / Garden Mark, Plymouth (after their home town of Plymouth Wisconsin), Senator, WIZARD sold by Western Auto stores, Mor.power and Mastercraft both sold by Canadian Tire Corporation, BEAVER sold by Beaver Lumber of Canada, TECO sold by Eaton's Department Stores (Thomas Eaton Company) of Canada, BRENTWOOD , MARSHALL-WELLS , ARTISAN, FORD, TOYOTA. and New Holland. See them all here.

I am still looking to pick add PLYMOUTH, Mor.power, ARTISAN, BRENTWOOD, MARSHALL-WELLS and NEW HOLLAND machines. I can't help but believe that there are other Gilson built brands that I've yet to identify, if you have such a machine be sure to Report a Gilson Sighting.

Gilson snowblowers are commonly found in the United States, Canada and the Scandinavian countries. Many Gilson snowblowers are assuming the role of family heirloom as I frequently hear from third generation users seeking to keep machines from parents or grand parents in operation. I still have my dad's Gilson in service.

In 1988 Gilson was acquired by LAWN-BOY. In 1989 LAWN-BOY was acquired by TORO. Currently LawnBoy is handling the GILSON parts and archives. The LawnBoy dealer network is your source for OEM parts. See my FAQ for more info on locating parts. This site is dedicated to providing the resources needed to keep these machines working. You will find resources pertaining to parts and service procedues along with historical information.

My wife's GILSON...almost done!

20160628_172556_zps5ahpxef5.jpg

Thanks for the informative post...I did not realize Gilson produced tractors for so many different brands. Nice looking tractor you have there. I will post pictures as soon as I get it home tomorrow. Had to work today and didn't have the trailer with me when I bought it last night.

• Like 4

KC9KAS
2 minutes ago, Professor1990 said:

Thanks for the informative post...I did not realize Gilson produced tractors for so many different brands. Nice looking tractor you have there. I will post pictures as soon as I get it home tomorrow. Had to work today and didn't have the trailer with me when I bought it last night.

Thanks for the comment....It has really been "labor intensive"!

Wheel-N-It
3 hours ago, Don1977 said:

If Don said it, then it has to be true. Don knows this stuff :D

Wishin4a416

Good luck on your purchase. My dads neighbor had a Monkey Wards lawn tractor and he could not wear it out. Bought in the 60's and I believe he still has it.

And just after looking over RS, I moved over to CL and this was very near the top. AN old Gilson with tiller for 250.

00K0K_a56rEpfYyVS_600x450.jpg

• Like 1

Terry M
10 hours ago, Wheel-N-It said:

I think those old Monkey Wards tractors were built by Simplicity. You should check on that though.

I know in the mid 80's , they were built by MTD  with Briggs I/C engines.

• Like 1

Rob R

I had one for 10 yrs and loved it, great tractor lots of power and built like a tank.

Montgomery Ward & Vacuum 001.jpg

Montgomery Ward & Vacuum 003.jpg

MW Tractor 002.jpg

MW Tractor 12.jpg

• Like 3

ClassicTractorProfessor

I don't have any pics til I pick it up tomorrow night but found this pic on google and it's similar to what I bought...I figured for $75 for the tractor and antique push mower I couldn't go wrong

image.jpeg

• Like 2

KC9KAS
14 hours ago, Don1977 said:

Found a little more info....

I have been researching Montgomery Wards garden tractors to find out what Manufacturer built what tractor for M/W and when they were built. There are a lot of ideas on who, what and when certain tractor were built and sold by Montgomery Wards. I hope you enjoy what I have learned through all this.

This story actually starts in 1872 with a new small cast iron foundry called "The Western Malleable and Gray Iron Manufacturing Company" in Milwaukee, WI., making gray iron castings. Around 1900, Western was producing Gasoline engines under the name "Simplicity". In 1911 the plant was moved to Port Washington, WI., and continued to build engines.

They also started producing 2 models of farm tractors. Thing were good for the company until the end of WW1 when Henry Ford introduced his famous "Fordson" tractor. Ford, with massive production capabilities, was able to sell his new farm tractor at a price where few could compete. Many tractor firms were forced out of business, and in 1920 Turner Manufacturing was one of them.

Mr. William J. Niederkorn who worked for Turner Manufacturing, bought some of the assets and the Simplicity name. In 1922 he formed the Simplicity Manufacturing Company. The first product of the new company was a cylinder-boring machine for re-boring automobile engine blocks to be rebuilt. By 1936 the company was looking for something else to do as the "Factory Rebuilt Auto Engines" were now available.

Montgomery Ward contacted Simplicity In 1937, to see if they would and could produce garden tractors for Ward to sell through their Catalog and Retail stores. Simplicity developed two garden tractor models for Montgomery Ward to sell, and soon they were very successful. Simplicity soon began to manufacture and sell these tractors through Lawn and Garden Equipment dealers all over the US under the Simplicity name.

When WW-II started,, Simplicity had to stop making Lawn and Garden Products to help with the war effort. The War Board directed Simplicity to produce a variety of Industrial Machining equipment. When WWII ended, Simplicity stopped the production of Industrial Equipment and focused on the fast growing Lawn and Garden equipment business. They developed full line of Garden Tractors, Snow Blowers, Rota tillers, Riding Mowers and four-wheel Garden Tractors. They sold under both the Montgomery Ward brand name and the Simplicity name.

In 1950 Montgomery Wards offered 3 models of the 2 wheeled Tractor. The 1 1/2-2hp Hoe-Trac, the 2 1/2-3hp Chor-Trac and the big 6hp Power-Trac along with over 20 various attachments. By 1955 Wards offered 5 different 2 wheeled Tractors and 2-4 wheeled Riding Tractors, made from 2 wheeled tractors fitted with a steerable rigid mounts sulky. Wards offered 36 quick change attachments for their tractors.

The first fully engineered with the engine and steering axle in the front 4 wheel Garden Tractor was the 7 horsepower “Squire 7", introduced in 1959 and stayed the same for 1960-61. In 1962 a slightly more powerful engine was installed and it became the 7.25 horsepower “Squire 7 ¼”.

In 1963 big changes started to take place for Montgomery Wards in their Lawn and Garden tractor lineup. M/W still offered a Simplicity built Garden Tractor, the 7 ¼hp “Squire 725”, this would be the last year for the 700 Series based tractor. Wards also offered a Bolens built “Squire 6”, based on the Bolens 600 with a different Cast Iron Grill, hood and Steering Tower. Bolens also provided M/W with several of the attachments for the “Squire 6” that they built.

1964 still saw even more changes for Montgomery Wards. Gone from the lineup was the Bolens built tractor. Simplicity supplied their new LandLord based “Squire 9” Garden Tractor and also the “Squire 6” Lawn Tractor based on the Simplicity Broadmoor. M/W also offered a Garden Tractor called the “Squire 7 ¼HP”, built by Quick Manufacturing using a Springfield Garden Tractor, but having a Cast Iron grill and different hood. Quick Man. Also provide M/W with a full line of attachments they built for their tractor. The 1965 M/W lineup was basically the same as 1964.

1966 brought more changes to the M/W Garden Tractor lineup. Simplicity built the "Squire 10 Deluxe" Garden Tractor. Quick Manufacturing provided 2 Garden Tractors, the “Garden Mark 10” and the “Garden Mark 8”. Both tractors were based on the Springfield Tractors with grill and sheet metal changes only. Simplicity still offered the Power-Trac 2 wheel tractors thru M/W.

In 1967 Montgomery Wards offered 3 new Garden Tractors, the “Squire 12” with manual lift, Squire 12” with Hydraulic lift, “Squire 10” and the “Squire 8”. These tractors were produced by Gilson Tractor Co.. Gilson also provided Wards with all of their attachments to go along with their tractors. Warde still offered the Simplicity built Power-Trac 2 wheel tractor as well as all the attachments were still available. It's not known if these were leftovers from the Wards stock or if A/C continued to build and supply these.

1968 saw the same Lawn and Garden Tractor equipment available from Wards. M/W did start offering a 7 hp Riding Lawn Tractor which appears to be built by MTD although I haven't been able to back that up for sure.

This is a work in progress and I will be adding more information as I gather it up. Please be patient with me.

[Source: The Story of William J. Niederkorn, prepared for the Ozaukee County Historical Society, August 8, 1967, Marquette University Press, courtesy of Simplicity Manufacturing inc.]

[Source: Montgomery Wards Catalogs, Farm Catalogs]

• Like 7

Wheel-N-It

Wow KC, that's alot of good information!!! Thank you for that effort!

• Like 1

Wishin4a416

Yes KC, great info.

• Like 1

ClassicTractorProfessor

Ok I just got home and as promised here are the pics of the MW tractor I bought

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 8

DennisThornton

Never owned or operated one but I sure wouldn't pass up a bargain on one!

• Like 1

Sparky

I had a Homelite for a short while that looked just like yours. Had a Briggs 16 Single. Must be another offshoot of that manufacturer.

Umfortunatly my pics of it are on my desktop puter and I'm away from home right now.

Mike....

ClassicTractorProfessor

Got it off the trailer earlier...took the garden hose and washed off the years of dirt and pigeon poop lol...not a bad looking little unit...does anyone know where to find any manuals for this little tractor?

Rob R
3 hours ago, DennisThornton said:

Never owned or operated one but I sure wouldn't pass up a bargain on one!

Agree, Dennis, the ONLY problem I had with mine is leak in the rear shaft driven differential box.... as I said solid, solid machine. Only reason I sold it is that a friend of mine made an offer on it I couldn't refuse.

ClassicTractorProfessor

This little unit came in the deal as well...not sure what it is or if it will run but I thought it was cool so I bought it lol

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

Wheel-N-It

Professor, is that a cemetery mower?

ClassicTractorProfessor
16 minutes ago, Wheel-N-It said:

Professor, is that a cemetery mower?

I'm not really sure what it is 

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It

Looks to be one but I can't think of what else it would have been used for.