ohiofarmer

What other old iron addictions do you guys have?

ohiofarmer

I think the old iron bug, or vintage bug probably bites many of you in other ways but the Red tractors. With me. it has to be old Honda motorcycles. It started with a little 100 cc CB100 for 5 bills that we solved a few problems with, followed with a 360 for 150.00 that had not run in years. When the bike ran in a week, i was hooked. I finally had to put a self imposed limit on getting all six bikes running before buying any more. When people see you an an obviously old bike that you kick start, they talk to you and that can lead to the odd and unexpected barn find. My four best buys totaled at an average of 100.00 each. The average of all bikes purchased had to be well under a dollar a cubic centimeter. I even had a roller given to me that i plan to put a Harbor Freight motor in and the rest will come from stuff in the barn.

Just like the Wheel Horses, the older Japanese bikes can be a steal for those who wish to get their hands dirty. Many of these bikes are going away because of the fad of chopping [and ruining how they ride] just to look 'cool" results in an un-rideable  bike for going any distance in comfort. Also, chopping a bike in pieces is what some are doing just to make money on E-bay. that benefits the restoration crowd by increasing the rarity of surviving motorcycles.. I have a buddy who is using his military disability money for mostly buying old Hondas and I was the one who got him started. My sympathies to his wife.....

Enough about me. i want you guys to tell me about your other old iron addictions.

Edited by ohiofarmer
  • Like 2

Wheel-N-It

I've had the Honda SL100 addiction for over 40 years. Like Wheel Horse's , I've been crazy about those things since I was a kid. But now that I'm looking for a part time retirement place in Florida I think its time to sell the whole lot of it to another collector.

• Like 1

pfrederi

Military Vehicles...I have a 1953 M-37  3/4ton cargo truck with winch, a M274 Mule and I maintain a neighbors M35A2 2-1/2 ton

Case Farm Tractors 1953 DC3 AND A 1951 VAC

1944 Farmall M  also am working on a friends Farmall H

• Like 5

AlwaysLookin80

1972 and older ford trucks and 1961 to 1963 pontiacs. 

• Like 3

sluggo

I bought a 1996 Volvo 850 sedan two years ago and other than replacing a rear backup lightbulb (grand total $1.50) I have had no problems. It is so solid that is feels like it's my tractor's relative. I may upgrade it to  Volvo station wagon. Either way I plan on driving Wheel Horses and Volvos for the duration. I don't wrench for fun, just for repairs and maintenance, so vehicles like this are very valueable.   

• Like 2

elcamino/wheelhorse

My current addiction ( or problem) is a 1984 El Camino Choo Choo Super Sport. I have a love-hate relationship with it. When everything is working I love it , but when something breaks I hate it. Working on the gravel drive on the P O S is a pain.

• Like 3

elliot ness

This one of my projects a few years ago. I love the old step sides, this one when I bought it had been a special order for a chemical plant in Iowa. Then it sat for about 14 yrs. and rusted every where they rust, it was a 6 cyl. with a 4 speed, 14 bolt rear with 5 bolt hubs and 456 gears, and it had 16 5 bolt wheels that I sold  and put chevy 10 in. ralleys on.  The interior was also redone with an S10 interior. Hope you enjoy the pics. I am looking for another one to redo. I want a 4X4 this time. Sorry for the pics, I will get then right yet.

Image (28).jpg

Image (34).jpg

• Like 9

elcamino/wheelhorse

Nothing nicer than a Chevy Step side. With a 456 rear gas mileage was not much, but it would pull a 18 wheeler.

• Like 2

elliot ness

Pics turn the right way.:happy-jumpeveryone:

Image (28).jpg

Image (34).jpg

• Like 5

elliot ness
1 hour ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

Nothing nicer than a Chevy Step side. With a 456 rear gas mileage was not much, but it would pull a 18 wheeler.

The truck was so special. I put power windows in it, that turned out to be more work then I could have thought. I split the manifold and run true duals all the way back. It had a factory tack and hour meter and vacuum gauge. I was told by a Chevy guru that back in the 70's you could order if you were a good customer as the chemical plant was that you could get what ever you wanted in a truck. Hence the 456 14 bolt with 5 bolt hubs. and the 16in. wheels. The truck only had 30,000 miles. But most of it was in a large Monsanto plant.

• Like 2

wallfish

Not so sure these are technically Old Iron but I collect old 2 stroke gas powered tools. Homelite & O&R tools

Here's a link to my Homelite XL tool collection ,(circular saw, drill, military blower, ect. Check out the video of the tree harvester)

http://myoldmachine.com/topic/429-homelite-xl-tool-collection/

And a link to the Ohlsson & Rice (O&R) section with lots of pics of different tools. Way too many to list! Think I have around 40 or more of those tools plus various engines.

http://myoldmachine.com/forum/74-ohlsson-and-rice/

If anyone hasn't checked out our sister site My Old Machine, now's a good time. Lots of cool stuff to check out over there!

http://myoldmachine.com/

• Like 3

squonk
46 minutes ago, elliot ness said:

The truck was so special. I put power windows in it, that turned out to be more work then I could have thought. I split the manifold and run true duals all the way back. It had a factory tack and hour meter and vacuum gauge. I was told by a Chevy guru that back in the 70's you could order if you were a good customer as the chemical plant was that you could get what ever you wanted in a truck. Hence the 456 14 bolt with 5 bolt hubs. and the 16in. wheels. The truck only had 30,000 miles. But most of it was in a large Monsanto plant.

Ordering trucks was interesting back in the day. In 80' Chevies still came stock with the cheapie " checkerboard" seat pattern in different colors. The sales manager had to check every box on the form correctly or look out. We had a shipment of pick ups come in. First one off the hauler was a nice red job. Only problem it had a green seat! :) Not to worry, There was a green truck to come off and it had a red seat! :banana-wrench:

Then in 82 a friend of mine ordered a 1/2 ton van. straight six with a 3 speed on the floor. It came off the hauler and the boss says bring Bill's van in and get it ready for delivery. I go to get it and there's no seats! Just a wooden box to get it off the hauler! :lol:

Edited by squonk
  • Like 5

howell1000

Me its old Shopsmith wood lathes i love the craftsmanship .

• Like 3

ClassicTractorProfessor
1 hour ago, elliot ness said:

This one of my projects a few years ago. I love the old step sides, this one when I bought it had been a special order for a chemical plant in Iowa. Then it sat for about 14 yrs. and rusted every where they rust, it was a 6 cyl. with a 4 speed, 14 bolt rear with 5 bolt hubs and 456 gears, and it had 16 5 bolt wheels that I sold  and put chevy 10 in. ralleys on.  The interior was also redone with an S10 interior. Hope you enjoy the pics. I am looking for another one to redo. I want a 4X4 this time. Sorry for the pics, I will get then right yet.

Image (28).jpg

Image (34).jpg

I'm a Ford guy but I must admit old square body Chevy trucks are my other weakness...in my opinion the last good Chevrolet truck ever built...my daily driver/service truck is a 79 K20 that has been nothin but good to me

• Like 6

elcamino/wheelhorse
3 hours ago, howell1000 said:

Me its old Shopsmith wood lathes i love the craftsmanship .

What year shopsmith ? Mine was made sometime in between 1977 and 1984, I remember that it was delivered to the loading dock of the company I worked for. Did not have to take time off to accept delivery. I have never used the the lathe.

• Like 2

ohiofarmer
4 hours ago, Horse46 said:

178595_136244749846492_974939493_o.jpg599942_136288809842086_330856053_n.jpgNot really old iron for me, I'm afraid I'm one of those who like to chop motorcycles.:hide:

Yes, but at least you know how to do it!!! Nice job. the guys I am talking about just cut them and do horrible things ,thinking that somehow they then become worth more as a cafe' racer.

• Like 2

chip61

I've always liked old trucks and tractors. I've had this one for 30 years, I believe I'm the third owner

20150919_190116.jpg

I thought I wanted to collect big tractors, but I decided they take up too much room, and this one isn't even that big!

20150919_190144.jpg

• Like 8

userj8670
6 hours ago, Digger 66 said:

020.jpg

Not my B/R but my buddies .

I envy that .

ed.png

009-3.jpg

004.jpg

0073.jpg

Just love finding turn of the century stuff out on the wheelers .

Beat me to it Gene.  Still have no idea to this day what that wooden structure I'm standing next to is...

• Like 2

Horse46

That old Moggy takes me back Neil, was it always a pick up?

My last year in school in auto mechanics, our project was to convert a traveller to a pickup, not as nice as that though.

• Like 1