new2horses

5060 transmission

new2horses

All,

I have already posted in the wanted section but thought I may as well go ahead and put in a word here too. I have an 867 and along with its numerous other issues I find myself in need of the input shaft, part number 7201. its going to take parts out of three trannys to make this thing go again, but none of the input shafts I have are fit to reuse. Pm me here with price including freight to 72087 

Thanks, David

PS the 5060 transmission has the brake pulley on the second intermediate shaft, later models have it (the brake pulley) on the first intermediate shaft. The input shaft from one of those transmissions may work too, as it appears to me that the portion to which the drive pulley attaches is just a bit longer..

Steve you may want to correct me in I am way off base here.

stevasaurus

David, the #7201 is the input shaft, but that is all it is...just a shaft.  Are you sure that is the part you need??  Those do not usually go bad.  Can you put a picture of it up here.  Sometimes those drawings are hard to interpret.  The input gear is #7204 and both are common to the 6 speeds and the 8 speeds.

Send a PM to @racinfool40  (Mike) once we figure out what you really need.  He should have the part.  :)

And yes the brake drum is on the mushroom gear in the 6 speeds and on the cluster gear shaft in the 8 speeds, and it looks like the input shaft parts are common to both.

Edited by stevasaurus
  • Like 1

new2horses

Steve, 

Yes, both bearing fits are rusted pretty bad. My plan is to use the mushroom gear and the cluster gear out of a 3 speed as they are the same as the 6 speed. The input shaft is the one I need. Again both bearing races are in bad shape. 

I will try and post a picture later today. 

• Like 1

stevasaurus

OK...send a PM to Mike...pretty sure he has what you want.  :)

• Like 1

new2horses

Steve, 

As promised a picture of the input shafts. I know that you know but others might find some benifit. image.jpg

Also as you can, maybe see,the shaft out of the 8 speed is about a quarter of an inch longer. It is on top in the picture. 

The bearing races as can be seen are in bad shape and if reassembled this way the tranny would not last long. 

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Excellent pictures.  Is the extra length due to different input pulleys??  :)

• Like 1

racinfool40

Yes Steve.....the longer shaft is when they went to the stamped steel input pulley.....the older 6 speeds used the cast iron pulley...both will work in the older style..actually both will work in either just depends on jow critical you are about were the set screw sits on the woodruff key.

• Like 2

stevasaurus

Hi Mike.  How's the foot.  I still owe you some money...you going to Scott's??  :)

new2horses

Steve, 

l appreciate the kind words regarding the pictures. 

Mike has replied to my PM and a replacement shaft is in the works, I also appreciate your help on that front. My bearings and seals should be here in the next day or two. 

If I had it to do over, I would probably have just junked the 867 and begin looking for another one. But I have gone too far now. 

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Oh come on...you horse saver you.  These aren't throw away tractors.  :handgestures-thumbupright:  Once you fix this, it will last another 50 years...and you would probably have to do it to the next one you got.  That horse is going to be like brand new on the inside.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

Does that help.???:think:

• Like 1

JPWH

The good thing about what you are doing is you know first hand what is inside. If you just replaced the whole tractor that would put you back to square one. Not knowing.

• Like 2