Kegler

417A - full of GUNK

Acquired locally a 417A with a bunch (3000+) hrs on the meter, but a jump got it running and for $200 I drove it  home. Came with a blade too.    Thought the price was right considering it had a 48" deck mounted that looks to be in much better shape than the rest of the tractor. As I said I did drive it the few blocks home with an occasional pop or crack from the motor that I attributed to possibly a sticking valve or even just some old gas. Parked it and tossed a tarp half over it until I could get a chance to work on it, which turned out to be longer than expected. Anyway, to the problem, I went out a couple of days ago and put a charger on it for a while and tried to start it and it turned over about a quarter turn and locked up, so I pulled the spark plugs and tried the starter again and the worst looking junk I had ever seen in a motor came squirting out of the plug holes. Whats up with that? How would a motor fill up with GUNK, even setting outside? Shot a bunch of PB Blaster in both plug holes to try to loosen up any rust or junk in the cylinders but would like to figure out where it got into the cylinders, in the first place, before I go any further with trying to save it. Motor appears to have all the tin, air cleaner and muffler on it.

Maybe it was in a flood.  I know it is like a closed system, but maybe through the muffler.  :think:

• Like 1

:twocents-02cents:  A couple of years of setting outdoors under a tarp could generate a lot of condensation under the air cleaner which could work it's way down the intake manifold. (Should have put a tarp under it also.) Use some Marvel Mystery Oil in the cylinders.

Thanks stevasaurus, could believe the flood if I hadn't driven it home!  Has the stock muffler with the down facing  tip, would be a bit hard for water to run in there. Going to drain the entire fuel system from the tank to the motor to make sure it's not in the tank too. Pulled the air cleaner and see no signs of it ever being wet. Agree on the MMO 953, but was out and had some Blaster handy. Will hit it again with some MMO when I get everything cleaned out. Tractor had definitely had a rough life, and may have had a lot of parts replaced. No tag under the seat so no numbers to go by and even the motor number tag is blank. All the dash lights are broken off, Steering  shaft cover from the dash to he s/w is missing. Already found a   circuit board, with bulbs, but no red covers.  Hope I can save it. Would like to have a nice twin to go with my Charger10 and my 1077.  Thanks for the ideas guys

• Like 2

Curious as to what you find...are you sure you drove it home??   :ychain:   :)

When you get it running, be sure to blow the soot, and/or gunk out of it.

how long did it sit and what kind of tarp did you have covering it. the poly tarps rot away pretty quickly, i use rubber roofing as my tarps, works real good. Another side note i don't completely cover all the way around to the ground so they can get some air and don't condensate, goood luck getting going again

eric j 

Yes I did drive it home, about 5 blocks. Has been loosely covered most of the winter and spring. Didn't have anyplace to put it inside. Poped and backfired a few times but tranny seemed OK, and has a very nice deck, so at the price I didn't see how I could go wrong. Looks like the deck has ether been stored, or replaced, Much better condition than the tractor. Even got a set of ATV style rears with it That were in good shape.  Will let you know what I find. Wish me luck!

I had a tarp on a 418a and water still worked its way down the carb stud. The tarp had been sitting and like said earlier had rotted enough the waterproofing was gone. Of course the hood is louvered right above the air cleaner. Of course the rubber  seal on the aircleaner nut was missing too. Now when I am done using it, I put part of a rain coat over the motor after it has cooled and close the hood. No more problems. 

• Like 1