wildbill59

Removing my ARK 550?

wildbill59

I had some time to play with my new C-161 with the ARK 550 (I'm pretty sure it's a 550, right?!) FEL. It looks like I'm going to need to do some rewiring, along with some other basic maintenance. Seems like the loader is going to be in the way a lot - I'm thinking I'd like to pull it off to work on the tractor, and also to clean up and paint the FEL. Obviously, not something you want to pop on and off just for fun, but what's it like pulling one of these? I can see that the pump is mounted to the PTO side of the engine, and that there's a big bracket under the tractor that the uprights mount to. Also hoping it'll come off in one piece - don't want to separate any fittings if possible. It was dark when I packed it up tonight, and started thinking about removing it later, so I'm sure there's some obvious things going on there once I get a good look at it in the daylight. In the meantime - and tips, tricks or advice for pulling off the loader?

KC9KAS

I have an ARK 550 that is not mounted,  but it looks as though it can be removed/installed pretty much in 1 piece.

Just unbolt the up-rights from the cross bar under the frame...remove the support from the FEL frame to the front of tractor, and remove the pump and presto-changeo it is off!

• Like 2

82Caddy

In theory that works. In the real world unless you're some sort of super strong person it doesn't. 

Easiest way I've found to remove the loader is to put the bucket on a moving dolly (the10$ one from harbor freight works great), unbolt the uprights (2 bolts per side and make sure they clear the footrests), remove the front angle supports and before you disconnect the hydro lines start the tractor and curl the bucket up. It'll lift the uprights vertically away from the tractor and allow you to have a better chance of moving the loader with out the tractor. If your hydro doesn't have any leaks and holds pressure well it'll stay that way until you return. Shut the tractor off and disconnect the pump/whatever is needed. Roll the tractor away and you can work on it. 

I'm going to make some upright supports eventually for when the loader is removed. 

My hydro lines have quick connects on them to/from the pump so they can be disconnected. If you don't have them I would add them. Makes maintenance much easier and less messy if you have to unhook the hydro stuff. 

Should have added, I can have mine on/off in under 20 minutes. 

• Like 3

pfrederi

I have an Arc on a d series. It has quick connects do getting it off isn't too bad.  Set the bucket on the ground put the supports into the ring on the foot of the upright.  They will lie at an angle.  Then standing on the tractor I lift up in the cross bar.   Have the lift valve in the float position. The support legs will swing until they are vertical and you can back the tractor out.  Make sure you make the 2x4's long enough so eh front tires will pass under the uprights.

IMG_3397.JPG

IMG_3398.JPG

• Like 1

wildbill59

Guys, thanks so much for the advice! Long weekend, didn't get much tractor or computer time (a blessing and a curse at the same time!). Gonna see what I can do today - doesn't look as complicated as I thought. Still looks mighty heavy, but not as complicated! Thanks again for the advice.