coldbear

875 hydro lazy

coldbear

Hello RS members. I picked up a 1965-66? 875 the other day and have experienced a lack of pulling power with this thing. The 8 HP Kohler runs rough and will probably need a rebuild. I changed the tranny fluid, filter on the hydro tranny with no avail. The tractor with no rider will pull itself but not under a rider's weight. I'm not too experienced with these hydo transmissions and was wondering if there is a weak spot in them. Any advice will be appreciated.

Achto

Your tractor is a 1965, 8=8horse, 7=hydro, 5=1965. Couple questions. Is you relief valve closed? It's located on the left side under the seat just ahead of the tool box. Is your parking lever up? Is your belt slipping? Did you use the correct filter? Just some questions that can be over looked. Unfortunately after these questions I have to step down. I have not had to take a hydro apart so I'm not real familiar with the workings inside. 

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

:text-goodpost:      Don't ask me how many times someone forgot to close the tow valve.

• Like 3

coldbear

Yes my tow valve is locked tight. I put on a new belt. I installed a new Wicks filter that crossed over from WH. My hydro pulley is not slipping on the shaft. I installed new trans fluids. Now that I'm out of options, I could use more repair ideas. Should I just buy a new pump?( seen one on Ebay for $100.00) and that's a bit much for me.) Love this Old Girl. No mower, just the bear bones for the grand children to ride on.

Yes my tow valve is locked tight. I put on a new belt. I installed a new Wicks filter that crossed over from WH. My hydro pulley is not slipping on the shaft. I installed new trans fluids. Now that I'm out of options, I could use more repair ideas. Should I just buy a new pump?( seen one on Ebay for $100.00) and that's a bit much for me.) Love this Old Girl. No mower, just the bear bones for the grand children to ride on.

I was wondering if someone in our WH club might have a rear end that would fit my unit?? If so, I'll forward a finders fee. cb.

stevasaurus

Did the trans run OK before you did all this stuff to it??  If it did, I am thinking you may have some air in the line.

• Like 1

gwest_ca

On another forum a member used  12 oz of Lucas Hydraulic Booster and Stop Leak in a Cadet and the performance returned to normal. Apparently it is very thick and took a while to get the results. This was the product Lucas recommended he try.

Garry

• Like 1

pfrederi

There is not a lot of serviceability according to the old WH manuals on the Wheelamatic.  The service manual is available here.http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/file/3312-transmission-hydro-sundstrand-wheel-a-matic-1969-sm-a-5179pdf/

The acceleration valvesa nd tow valve are about it.  Picture shows teh checks tehy recommend before you tear in.  Have you tried pushing it with tow valve closed?

wheel.JPG

• Like 1

coldbear

There was no pre inspection of performance with this tractor because the carb had been cleaned and was sitting on the tractor seat. As I said, I bought this clean tractor for a great price, and the seller was needing to get it out of the garage. He probably knew the tranny was hurt and didn't have the monies or skill levels to fix it. I'm retired now and have the time to get her running correctly. I always wanted an older WH as my other 4 are in the 70-80's. The 8 HP Kohler has always been my favorite.

• Like 1

953 nut
9 hours ago, coldbear said:

Wicks filter that crossed over from WH.

Are you sure this filter is intended to be used on hydraulics? Most filters not specifically intended for hydros will have an over-pressure bypass. A NAPA 1410 would be the proper filter.

coldbear

The NAPA 1410 is on it now.

It seems that everything I have thrown at this  875 is not making a difference. I'm about ready to pull the hydro pump/ motor  if no more suggestions. I have never had a hydro break down with any of my machines. But I guess it is possible.

953 nut

You could have some broken springs on the acceleration valves. Read up on them in the manual.

• Like 1

coldbear

Will do.

stevasaurus

@daveoman1966 is very good with the hydros and helps members out a lot here.  You could either do a search for his posts in his profile, or maybe send him a PM (personnel message) and see what he thinks.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

coldbear

Thanks stevasaurus for that info. I just mailed him some information on my tractor.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Let us know what you find, if you would.  It may help others on this site...including me.  :)

coldbear

Sorry I was late. Out of town on business. I will post what I find. Thanks for all that gave their insights.

• Like 1