scotty

K 181 Fuel pump

scotty

Does anyone know the cheapest fuel pump for a k 181? I got the plastic one and only a couple years old is leaking. Is there a cheap source for new metals ones?

Achto

If you still have the metal one you can get a rebuild kit. If you want a new one you are stuck with plastic, even from Kohler.  psep.biz has good prices on aftermarket pumps, but again they are plastic.

Terry M

I have a plastic replacement on my K161 ...and it works well with no problem, so far.    

tunahead72

Where is your pump leaking from?  I'm not a fan of the plastic pumps, but I do have one on my C-105.  It started leaking a year or so after I installed it, and I found that one of the sections of fuel line that I installed was just a fraction of an inch too long, and was putting pressure on one of the connectors and causing the leak.  I replaced the line with a slightly shorter piece, put it all back together, and knock on wood it's been working fine ever since.

• Like 1

scotty

It looks like it coming from the gasket that is in sandwiched in the middle. I tried tightening the screws around the pump but that didnt help any. I might have to search around for the old pump.

Edited by scotty

pfrederi

or try one of these.

Facet 60245 posi-flow pump.  about $33

I have installed 3...418A, C175-8 and C141.  Eventually all my under seat tank horses will have them.  No more eternal cranking when they have sat unused for a few weeks

pump.JPG

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 3

rmaynard

The plastic pumps will leak around the diaphragm after a couple of years if you use gasoline with ethanol in it. The component of the pump are supposed to be ethanol resistant, but many are not. 

You can try taking the pump apart and cleaning the two surfaces where they meet the diaphragm. Clean both sides of the diaphragm which is also your gasket, then tighten the screws evenly.

While you have it apart, inspect for micro cracks in the plastic.

Edited by rmaynard
  • Like 1

scotty

I was thinking about the electric fuel pump too. Seems like a lot better system.

• Like 1

scotty

Did you just wire it to the solenoid?

pfrederi
Just now, scotty said:

Did you just wire it to the solenoid?

I wire mine to the ignition or accessory terminal.  Solenoid would be on all the time.  'My setup doesn't pump when it is cranking.  Turn the switch on wait 2 seconds, it is enough to make sure the carb bowl is full then start her up. (You will hear the pump change sound when the float valve closes.

• Like 1

Rob R

Just wondering what the best pressure range is when you decided to go the electric pump route..... I would assume lower is better (1-2 lbs pressure range) so as not to have any fuel perhaps getting into the oil pan.... I see fellow "wheelers" putting pumps in up to the 4 lb range and this sounds HIGH to me....I know my old Sears Suburban which has a weak pulse pump has a spring loaded needle valve to prevent over flow...... also since the electric pump would have to be "ON" the entire time the engine is running what effect if any would this have on your alternator and battery charging?  Thanks

pfrederi

Current draw is negligible.  Pressure range for this pump is 4pisi max.  I bypass the Kohler pump so I won't be getting gas in the crankcase.