"D"- Man

4" Wheel Covers ????

"D"- Man

I thought I had read of, or heard of, Wheel Horse 4" wheel covers.  I made an offer on one used online and was sent a 6" wheel cover.  Did Wheel Horse ever make 4" wheel covers?  If so, are they rare, and what were they on originally?

953 nut

They were for lawn rangers, several of them were for sale at the "Big Show", didn't seem to sell too well.

• Like 1

Wildhorse
2 hours ago, 23 Automatic LSE said:

I thought I had read of, or heard of, Wheel Horse 4" wheel covers.  I made an offer on one used online and was sent a 6" wheel cover.  Did Wheel Horse ever make 4" wheel covers?  If so, are they rare, and what were they on originally?

My Ranger has 6" rims and are original. I have nos caps on them. There wasn't any 4" rims as far as I know but I've been wrong before.:twocents-02cents:

SPINJIM

What's the condition of your 6" caps ?   I have a pair of 4" caps, not Wheel Horse brand, new in the box.   I bought them for a Lawn Ranger, but just sold the L.Ranger, so don't need the caps.   If they're in great condition, maybe we can work a trade.   I've never seen any 4" caps made by Wheel Horse for the L.Ranger.

Jim

Wildhorse
3 minutes ago, SPINJIM said:

What's the condition of your 6" caps ?   I have a pair of 4" caps, not Wheel Horse brand, new in the box.   I bought them for a Lawn Ranger, but just sold the L.Ranger, so don't need the caps.   If they're in great condition, maybe we can work a trade.   I've never seen any 4" caps made by Wheel Horse for the L.Ranger.

Jim

I have a few pairs of NOS 6" caps which are 4" but fit 6" wheel. I think that's where there's confusion about rims an caps. A 12" rim actually has 10" caps an 8" rim - 6" caps and so on...the ones I have are all brand new in original packaging.

"D"- Man

I only purchased 1 wheel cover.  It had about 3 coats of paint on the reverse side, and a drop on the front, as well as scratches and a dent.  I had a go at trying to "clean" it up a bit. I first hammered out the dent and sanded out the scratches till it was nearly unnoticeable.  I have included a picture of the reverse side with my tape measure which reads 6 inches.  The dent and 2 scratches were over the word HORSE and continued to just below the drop of white paint.  

You may be able to click on the image and enlarge it.

s-l400.jpg

s-l400 (1).jpg

IMG_20160629_233133.jpg

IMG_20160629_233154.jpg

Edited by 23 Automatic LSE

cleat

Just about all of my hubcaps are badly rusted on the inside.

A beadblasting and painting on the inside is actually a good idea to prevent rust, I may do mine.

• Like 1

953 nut

'62, '63 and '64 Lawn Rangers had 3.50 X 4" front tires,

• Like 1

RedRanger
3 hours ago, 953 nut said:

'62, '63 and '64 Lawn Rangers had 3.50 X 4" front tires,

So did '65,'66,'67, and '68.

4 inch hub caps are out there but rare.  I've seen a few sets, but the sellers thought they were gold.

• Like 1

CasualObserver

The early Lawn Ranger wheel covers or hubcaps that I've seen were a set of 4" and 8" baby moons with no logo. I don't have a picture handy, but think I have one somewhere. If I remember I'll look for it later. I know I've seen them go on ebay.GIF for upwards of a C-note. Finding those little 4 inchers can be a challenge.

• Like 1

wh500special

I don't recall off hand, but didn't the 100-series rear-engine riders use 4" front wheels?  Chrome wheel covers were standard on the top level 111-6.  

Steve 

• Like 3

new2horses

Steve is correct, and those little 4 inchers had the Wheel Horse logo too. Very cool when you can find them!

• Like 1

1978c81

Here is a NOS pair that I have of the 4" caps. 

20160707_193040.jpg

• Like 2

cleat

These are off of my 111-6

They are 4" wheels on the front.

I have swapped out the wheels so these caps no longer fit.

I will put them in the classified once I figure a price.

Hubcaps and snow blower 001.jpgHubcaps and snow blower 002.jpgHubcaps and snow blower 003.jpgHubcaps and snow blower 004.jpg

One is in excellent shape, the other has a dent.

• Like 1

RedRanger

Cleat-Hard to price the dented one.  I've seen them in "nice" condition with no dents or major scratches for $100/pair.