wh500special

Those have got to be one of my favorites.  One of my neighbors from South Bend won one of those tractors during the WH company picnic one summer.  Her husband said it was an amazing snow pusher in the winter and he loved it because he could head out early without fear of rousing the neighborhood because of the quietness. 

The E-141 has proven to elude me all these years of being in this silly hobby.  Still looking for one...

Geoff from Toronto was really quite knowledgable about these things.   He drew big contrasts between this Wheel Horse design and the earlier General Electric designed machines.  I got the impression that most of the changes weren't really improvements.  

Notice the fiberglass hood. The same basic hood -minus the enclosures/fairings on the sides - appeared on the C-161-twins with the 16hp Briggs engine.  Same headlight lens too.  That hood must have been specially designed the accommodate the electric's batteries and the KT-17 that was supposed to go in the C-171.  I suspect that this tractor was also responsible for the goofy plastic rear fender (that, and cost cutting).

Even with the oddball characteristics and ugliness, I still would like to have one.   I like weird and funny-looking I guess.  

So does my wife...

As an aside, what's the deal with the canopy?   That CAN'T be Scott's!  Thought he was one of those Michigan nuts.  

Steve

Edited by wh500special

stevasaurus

Nope, Scott is a Hoosier...lives north of Warsaw.  :)  I'm pretty sure he sold it, he did not want to buy 6 new batteries for it again.  I would think that you would get about 7 years out of the batteries. 

specialwheelhorse

Used to be a gentleman from Canada that was into electrics

Can't remember his name but I'm sure buzz will recall.

• Like 1

wh500special

It's Geoff.  He had a small fleet of electrics.  Great guy.

• Like 1

nylyon
6 hours ago, specialwheelhorse said:

Used to be a gentleman from Canada that was into electrics

Can't remember his name but I'm sure buzz will recall.

@GeofThompson this was he and Buzz's idea!

• Like 2

N3PUY

I heard that two of those "E" models sold at an auction in Mahaffey, Pa. last week for $45 for both of them.   One person lifted the hood and said "Where's the motor?".  I wish I had been there :(.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

whfan74

I have owned two of those goofy machines over the years.  It was a really cool machine but as Steve stated, I didn't want to have to buy batteries again.  There are days that I regret selling my first one but at $600 for batteries I just couldn't justify it.

Yes.....I am a Michigan nut, but married a Hoosier and live in the Hoosier state.  :)

• Like 3

buckrancher

I have two of them ( one is NOS) I am looking for a brain box for one of them

Brian

Edited by buckrancher
  • Like 2

squonk

Sorry Brian. Can't help ya. I'm told my brains are shot! :) 

P.S. I should have gotten a cup holder from you at the show. If you're driving by throw one out the window! ( I know how much you like driving thru Waterloo! ) :) :law-policered: