Buzz

Electric Wheel Horse owners check in

Buzz

Now that we have this section how about letting the rest of us know what you have? pictures would be appreciated.

• Like 3

prondzy

Don't have any pics right now but put me in the books for an E-81 rear engine style mower

• Like 1

Uncle Buck

There are actually some electrics out there? I have never seen one. I bet those could be a challenge to resurrect for sure!

DTOM

I picked up a B145 the other week from the son of the original owner. His father had passed away and it has been stored in the barn since 1984. He bought the front mounted mower deck and the snow blower for it also which came with the purchase. It is in its original state along with the wheel horse red top batteries.

• Like 3

rtfbg

Picked this up a few months back, very rough, but all there.  Has a yellow GE deck, which I am going to sell, .  I have not found the serial number tag yet but will post as soon as I get to it.  Restoration to start soon!!!

2016-01-15 16.40.24.jpg

• Like 7

DTOM

If you open up the front hood and look on the upper left side, there would have been a notorious wheel horse identification plate.

bds1984

There is a C185 in the boneyard here in Kalamazoo at Light Truck Parts.  Last time I was there, it was complete except for batteries.  

• Like 2

DTOM

Grab it!!!

russellmc301
On 6/28/2016 at 9:33 PM, gulftane said:

Restoration to start soon!!!

well we know what to expect now,  so it better be great:handgestures-thumbupright:

SylvanLakeWH

Very interested in this thread and pictures of what folks have...Always wondered how these machines performed and if they still function well after all these years...

Thank you Mods for creating this section!

Edited by SylvanLakeWH
  • Like 1

rtfbg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

Hodge71

Im going to be paying close attention here. The only bucket list tractor I have is a C-185 electric. I desire one MUCH MUCH more than a 420. People say the D series are the "ugly ducklings" but to me its the Electrics....so darn ugly they're awesome!!

• Like 3

DougC

Had no idea these existed.... I'm very interested as well. Looking forward to learning all about these special :wh:

Don1977
On July 3, 2016 at 9:23 AM, Hodge71 said:

Im going to be paying close attention here. The only bucket list tractor I have is a C-185 electric. I desire one MUCH MUCH more than a 420. People say the D series are the "ugly ducklings" but to me its the Electrics....so darn ugly they're awesome!!

If your interested in one check out the GE Electrac they built them first. Wheel Horse took over after 1975. I'm not sure how the model numbers match up. My old Wheel Horse dealer had two GE Electracs in the show room back in 1977.

DTOM

The GE 12/14 = the Wheel Horse B145. The GE 20 = the C185. Wheel Horse  bought the rights in 1974 and started selling the models in 1975. Also look at your serial numbers, there are 3 batches of serial numbers made. Starting with 116xxx, 121xxx, and 122xxx. The 116's are built in New York and the 121's, 122's are built in South Bend. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wheel-N-It

My Father in law had the GE20. Boy that thing was fun to mow with! 

• Like 1

Indiana_Steve

I had a couple of models, the GE industrial model I-5 and a New Idea  ECT-100 (GE E10). They were interesting but sometimes difficult to maintain. They had unbelievable power. My I-5 had the power of a 20hp gas engine. I have a friend that has a C185 in his collection. I sold mine and went back to gas tractors, just a preference of mine.

GeofThompson
On 7/3/2016 at 6:19 PM, Don1977 said:

If your interested in one check out the GE Electrac they built them first. Wheel Horse took over after 1975. I'm not sure how the model numbers match up. My old Wheel Horse dealer had two GE Electracs in the show room back in 1977.

Thw Wheelhorse and the ElecTacs are basically the same machine, Part are interchangeable, and Red paint id quite cheap. Hope this helps,

SylvanLakeWH
I've been doing a bit of research on these just out of curiosity...Essentially the Elec-Trak E-14 and E-20 are the same as the 
wheel horse B-145 and C-185 respectively. 

Very cool site with lots of info and history is http://www.myelec-traks.com.
  • Like 2

whfan74

Here is One of my E 141 that I used to own.  It was a real treat to mow with.  

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 5

WHX??

One would think what with today's battery & electronics technology & consumers interest in  "going green" one would see a resurgence in electric tractors?

• Like 2

bmsgaffer
On 7/28/2016 at 9:25 AM, WHX7 said:

One would think what with today's battery & electronics technology & consumers interest in  "going green" one would see a resurgence in electric tractors?

I am planning on converting one of my horses to electric with semi-modern technology. I think the problem is the people that can afford the technology to go green dont mow their own grass. Those that can have zero turns or other commercial grade things that manufacturers won't turn green because of their market (the people that cant wait for them to charge). That will change though as bettery cars pickup in popularity then the batteries will get cheaper for other markets.

I wanted to do LiFePo batteries (a safe version of lithium "LiPo" batteries) in the horse, but i would be into the batteries over a thousand dollars. Add in all the other tech i need and it was just not economical. I am peicing used bits together though, and will do it eventually.

• Like 2

AMC RULES

'75 B-145-found currently...

listed on Western Mass C/L. 

01010_fJDN37mDyM_1200x900.jpg00J0J_leYoGvuwuyM_1200x900.jpg00N0N_dZ74oOnwCF8_1200x900.jpg00c0c_3vp3Rr7HhF6_1200x900.jpg01010_4D0cEdaEMTo_1200x900.jpg

• Like 3

DTOM

He has it listed for $1,400. A little on the high side. 

• Like 1