ronhatch

C-101 a little slow mowing

ronhatch

Today I'm going to swap out the stock 6 3/8" diameter trans pulley for a new 5 1/2" pulley and, of course, a shorter belt as well. The way it is now seems a little slow mowing in 2nd gear. .And then on to my last modification; opening up the deck's discharge chute by 2 to 3". Then I'll be a happy C-101 owner..

• Like 1

Tankman

Sounds like a plan! Be sure to update your progress and results. :handgestures-thumbupright:

pfrederi

You will probably find you have to modify your belt guard or you will not have much luck shifting.  Your existing belt guard will be further away from the new smaller pulley allowing the belt to drop when you depress the clutch. Normally the guard supports the belt back there and the slack from depressing the clutch is pushed out to the front putting slack around the engine pulley letting the belt stop moving allowing your to shift without grinding.  i tried to speed up my Lawn Ranger with a smaller pulley on the tranny.  Gave up.  Bought another belt guard but haven't gotten around to modifying it yet.

• Like 2

ronhatch

I'm happy to say the smaller 5.5" pulley on the trans input shaft increased the speed in 2nd gear just the right amount for mowing. No trouble shifting either. It's all in adjusting the belt stops when the clutch peddle is pushed in. I even used the same belt by adding a small flat idler for the backside of the belt about half way between the engine pulley and the clutch idler, below the battery on my C-101. I really notice the difference in speed when I'm trimming around trees and flower beds. 

I also installed small heavy sheet metal "wings" on the last blade on my 42" SD deck to help keep the grass from coming out in a concentrated stream and clumping. The grass wasn't very long when I mowed yesterday, so the jury is out as to how well the modification will work, but it looks promising..

userj8670

Please post up pic of your mods!