Wheelhorse84

Magnum Carb question Help

Wheelhorse84

I recently picked up a 95 314 with a magnum engine. It ran well except at low idle it would stall. I went through the tractor, new fuel line, filter, on/off valve, air cleaner, oil change ect. When I pulled the plug it had a little white on the electrode. I replaced the plug. I decided to adjust the carb from scratch so i lightly bottomed out the screws and brought them back out 2 1/2 turns. It ran ok at idle and med throttle but at high throttle it skipped and sputtered like crazy and unless i screwed the main jet screw (top one) all the way down it would run horrible. Not really a carb expert so I'm looking for some good advice / recommendations.  Should I rebuild, replace, buy a new one? What are some reasons this would happen?  Thanks PS. The carb is a walbro with 2 adjusting screws.

gwest_ca

When you have one that will run sometimes a healthy dose of Seafoam in the fuel will bring it around but give it time. If it works I add a shot of Marvel Mystery oil to all the fuel which also lubricates the valve stems for a smoother low speed idle.

Garry

MWR

Could be that it just needs the soot blowed out of it.

tunahead72

Do you have an owner's manual for this engine?  I don't have any Magnums, but I do have a K series with a 2-needle Walbro carb.  Initial settings for the 14HP K321 are main 1-1/4 turns and low 1-1/8 turns.  And the main needle is the lower of the two needles, and angles out from the carb body just above the bowl.

If Garry's or MWR's solutions don't work, you might also try removing the two needles, one at a time so you don't lose track, and making sure they're really clean.  Spray them with some carb cleaner and wipe them down good with a rag.  If there are any holes along the shaft, make sure they're clear.

If that doesn't help, I would personally remove the carb completely, soak it in carb cleaner and rebuild it, but that's just me. :)

Wheelhorse84

Thanks guys.

Buckshot1

:) Just an idea, check the throttle shaft for sideways movement in the carb body. It might be sucking to much air on the top end of the throttle setting. Therefore not getting enough fuel. :flags-waveusa:

Edited by Buckshot1
  • Like 1