TIGman

Tire treatment for original tires?

TIGman

Probably already been covered in another thread, but just wondering what kind tire treatment you guys are using on "original" tires to keep them in shape?

Just picked up the 1054 with nice original back tires, would like to keep them that way. :)

Thanks!!

oliver2-44

Google  "Miller Tire Paint". a little goes a long way.

• Like 1

TIGman
44 minutes ago, oliver2-44 said:

Google  "Miller Tire Paint". a little goes a long way.

Thanks! For the info :handgestures-thumbupright:

TIGman

Here's the item I was thinking of.

post-3498-0-14358300-1339944037.jpg

• Like 3

KC9KAS
42 minutes ago, TIGman said:

Here's the item I was thinking of.

post-3498-0-14358300-1339944037.jpg

I just bought a jug of the RuGLYDE and it worked very well installing and sealing new tires.

The container said it can also be used on rubber to clean it as well as condition it.

I also bought the little "mop" brush to apply the product to the tires...I'm operating just like the big tire shops now!

• Like 6

RedRanger

I've used RuGlyde as well as tire paint.

Start with the RuGlyde.  Napa sells it.

I lathered up the tires and put them in garbage bags for about a week or two to soak.  It softened them up and conditioned the tires real well.  Took 30 years off their age.

I wouldn't go to the tire paint unless the tires are really really dry, cracked, or discolored.  Last resort.

• Like 3

TIGman

I picked up some RuGlyde after work Saturday and used on the 1054 tires when I cleaned her up. I really liked the results. :handgestures-thumbupright:

IMG_20160623_210349546.jpg

IMG_20160625_180813581.jpg

• Like 6

RedRanger

Just keep applying it and let it soak in.  It won't harm anything.

• Like 1

TIGman

Had a "brain storm" for fixing the back tires on the 875.... I'll get some Flex Seal from Phil the TV pitchman and use it on the bad tire sidewall cuts. ;) :handgestures-thumbupright: lol

RedRanger
17 hours ago, TIGman said:

Had a "brain storm" for fixing the back tires on the 875.... I'll get some Flex Seal from Phil the TV pitchman and use it on the bad tire sidewall cuts. ;) :handgestures-thumbupright: lol

Get some black.  Don't know if it's paintable?  I just sealed a couple rain gutters with the Rustoleum version (clear) and worked well.  Cool stuff.

• Like 1

TIGman
20 minutes ago, RedRanger said:

Get some black.  Don't know if it's paintable?  I just sealed a couple rain gutters with the Rustoleum version (clear) and worked well.  Cool stuff.

Yes I noticed the other day that Rustoleum makes a similar product.

Lane Ranger

Miller Tire paint is $20 a pint and works well .   I used this stuff for years.  The new pint has ready to use paint in the bottle.  The old you had to dillute with water.

Also at the Big Show in Gettysburg someone told me retreaders paint their tires with  black  satin paint.     Baer makes a Black Satin Paint in a gallon can that you dillute by 50 %  and spray on with an HPV type paint gun.

• Like 2

Racinbob

:text-yeahthat: @rmaynard put me on to Baer Beluga black using the HVLP gun. I picked up a sample can on the Home Depot site which, diluted 50%, would be enough for a set for about $3 delivered. I didn't get to try it though. My bigger compressor with enough CFM took a dump. :(