BigRedGrizzly

308-8 stuck in low range

stevasaurus

Daryl, looks like you have been getting expert help.  The only thing I would be able to say for help a few posts ago.  Maybe take those bolts out before trying to split the tranny.  :ychain:  TORO still has the gaskets for that trans also.  You should not have to use sealant when you put the halves back together...as long as everything looks clean and flat.  :)  BTW...welcome to Red Square.

So where are you at now in this process??  :)

BigRedGrizzly
1 hour ago, stevasaurus said:

Daryl, looks like you have been getting expert help.  The only thing I would be able to say for help a few posts ago.  Maybe take those bolts out before trying to split the tranny.  :ychain:  TORO still has the gaskets for that trans also.  You should not have to use sealant when you put the halves back together...as long as everything looks clean and flat.  :)  BTW...welcome to Red Square.

So where are you at now in this process??  :)

Here is a vid showing the high/low shift fork in action. 

Stevasaurus... I'm getting ready to disassemble the transmission. I'm not sure if there is a way to get at that hi/lo shift fork without removing the gears. I'll be using the thread I posted earlier for reference. 

06157FFC-2222-44BF-AAD8-0EF86A3F226C.jpg

0DA53363-50FF-4A67-B867-EEF2B51B7C70.jpg

1EC171CA-3048-4172-9488-458308E77E93.jpg

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Yes, you have to take everything out to get at the hi/low.  The video I did with the 10 pinion differential may help a little...it is similar.  You have 2 detente balls between the 2 shift rails and 1 detente ball in the hi/low mechanism.  Take care when you pull those apart, not to lose those balls.  If you do, they are 1/4" stainless steel and available at any ACE hardware for about $.25 a piece.  :)  Your transmission looks really nice and clean...well worth the effort.

• Like 1

BigRedGrizzly

Thanks, Stevasauras... I'll be digging in this weekend. I can't seem to order the gasket. I'm not sure if I'm doing it wrong (searching for it). Part# I have come up with is 3912. Anyone has any guidance on whether or not this part is still available and where I can get it?

C1873D02-4937-4D80-9C0C-1B634A84FB0C.png

779EC046-D61F-4ADD-8250-81EE4346AC30.png

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Your TORO dealer has the gasket...about $6...your part # is correct.  :)

• Like 1

BigRedGrizzly
On June 28, 2016 at 10:52 AM, stevasaurus said:

Your TORO dealer has the gasket...about $6...your part # is correct.  :)

Ordered... Thank you. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Ok men... BIG UPDATE!

Here's the deal. Shift fork is worn

to garbage. Two different size detent balls, spring for detent balls is broken. Getting the cup plug out to get at the ball required some enginuity. 

Here are the pics and vids detailing tonight's work. 

DC677F67-7E34-40A7-9927-1094EEB4E4C3.jpg

46C2E0CD-A8BF-4B95-9251-DC9728A16289.jpg

I drilled a small hole in the plug and and screwed a screw into it and prayed it out. 

09A0F3C1-12BB-448D-9467-AC3A75D4B260.jpg

C392C7AF-00C7-433B-8DBD-6FE71A5B0805.jpg

Removed the shift forks and spring and balls. Noticed the broken spring and 2 different size balls. 

37765D19-902D-45BA-91E4-13E9A1F722B8.jpg

D5082E22-A121-44A8-83B9-2AF1D3E1DE8B.jpg

4AF2D9BA-E6E4-4277-AC6C-1F6829AAD795.jpg

4EBA38B4-16A9-4662-9ED7-D4B8E831D43D.jpg

9D0C6F8D-D0BE-499F-8546-75AE83FF6345.jpg

Worn shift fork. 

91DBE504-2372-41E3-B0E6-3C394337D031.jpg

How it should look. 

925702FF-9DD6-4A37-94F9-59A4C25B9724.jpg

These are the replacement parts I ordered. 

8E432F9B-2E8F-4E55-A458-9FB417A4FCD4.png

Here are the 2 vids. The first one is me realizing the gear is getting hung up. 

This vid is me realizing the issue. 

Also.. I think the small detent ball and broken spring was contributing to the slop in second gear requiring the second gear on the shift box panel to be made bigger. Smaller ball equals more room needed to push the shift fork. Makes sense in my mind. 

Now... My least favorite part... 

WAITING!  Hopefully the parts get here tomorrow or Sat. 

Have a Happy 4th of July, all. :USA:

Edited by BigRedGrizzly
  • Like 2

pfrederi

Amazing isn't it the stupid plug is so expensive.  As for balls i bought 100 1/4" balls from McMaster, i do not bother to look for them when they pop out during reassembly (which they always seem to do):P

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Great videos!!  :handgestures-thumbupright:  Do you have a copy of the manual?  It has step by step instructions for taking apart and putting back together.  As far as that gear hitting where you are showing, it should not.  It is not from wear on the fork, remember there is a spline shaft that sits inside of that gear.  If there is enough slop for that gear to hit, it may be a worn bearing that puts slack in the spline shaft and allows it to move enough to hit.  :think:  I also think that someone has been in there before.  That weld does not look factory and no way you would have 2 different sized detente balls.  Pretty cool to see how things work though, is not it?  :)  You are doing fantastic.  Thanks for the videos.

If you don't mind a little humor?  I started watching the videos and thought you might be a smurf...then I realized it was just rubber gloves.  :ychain:

Here is a link to the manual...you want "Section V".

492-4004.pdf (application/pdf Object)

• Like 2

BigRedGrizzly
2 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

Great videos!!  :handgestures-thumbupright:  Do you have a copy of the manual?  It has step by step instructions for taking apart and putting back together.  As far as that gear hitting where you are showing, it should not.  It is not from wear on the fork, remember there is a spline shaft that sits inside of that gear.  If there is enough slop for that gear to hit, it may be a worn bearing that puts slack in the spline shaft and allows it to move enough to hit.  :think:  I also think that someone has been in there before.  That weld does not look factory and no way you would have 2 different sized detente balls.  Pretty cool to see how things work though, is not it?  :)  You are doing fantastic.  Thanks for the videos.

If you don't mind a little humor?  I started watching the videos and thought you might be a smurf...then I realized it was just rubber gloves.  :ychain:

Thanks for the manual. I did not have that. It will be very helpful for the re-assembly. Thanks for the words of encouragement. I'll keep you all posted as the parts come in. 

BigRedGrizzly
5 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

Hi all.. I got the new shift fork in today and installed pretty easily. I thought I was going to struggle more getting the spring and detent ball in. 

Here is a pic of the old one next to the new one for comparison. 

0C3D0FC2-D1E3-418A-8F3F-953D020ECABD.jpg

Here is a quick vid of it functioning well. I checked the needle bearings as suggested by Stevasauras and the appear to be in fine shape. When the input shaft is spun just a hair it helps align the gears perfectly allowing the low range gear to fully engage. 

• Like 3

Tuneup

Looks like you're enjoying it immensely. I did the same though the fork itself was completely unattached and, thankfully, stuck in high. Steve-O's videos guided me through it. That fork wear suggests long operation low on oil to me.

• Like 2

Lagersolut

Before I found/joined this site the I knew the tractor in my AV needed transmission work and I got an estimate at a local repair shop which was well over 1000 dollars . Found this place, scared stiff of opening the tranny up and not being able to get  it back together Steve -0  promised that wouldn't happen and thanks to his vids and guidance the old C-101 now sits with a fully restored tranny for probably under 200 bucks. With the bearing part /crossover numbers here I saved a ton buying the Timken bearings all available on Amazon .

• Like 3

BigRedGrizzly

Ugh! So, I went to order those parts from my phone the other day and must have been distracted, squirrel, because I never, squirrel, completed the order. As I went to check the status of the order it became clear to me that I never went through the checkout process. Just put the parts in my cart. I have two problems. I'm easily distracted and have two young kids that demand a lot of attention. It could have been a simple... Dad.... I'm finished... Come help me in the bathroom deal that compromised my effort. Oh well. Set me back a few days but it gives me time to get after the GT14. Every cloud has a silver lining. 

Edited by BigRedGrizzly
  • Like 2

Aldon

Been there. Done that.

At least you have other project tractor to keep progress moving forward on.

• Like 1

BigRedGrizzly

Hey Fellas... The 308 is buttoned back up. :greetings-clappingyellow: The transmission went back together very smoothly. Stevasauras's videos were the KEY to my success. :thanks:

I was very intimidated and nervous to open the transmission up. But like with many of the projects I get into they turn out not being too bad. I have a much, much better understanding of how transmissions in tractors and motorcycles work now. This was a fun and educational experience. 

Now as I ran it through all the gears in high, everything seemed tight. I was so nervous to shift it into low for the fear of having to get back into it if it didn't work. I shifted it into low and it work fine. I went to shift it back into high and it was like it was in neutral. Nothing. So, I put it into 2nd switched it to high as I let out the clutch and it grabbed into high again.  I guess it works OK. just seems to stick a bit. 

Here are some pics of the reassembly. 

New balls and new spring 

0D5F370B-3DCD-4F9F-8796-68D252D0F3B7.jpg

0D5F370B-3DCD-4F9F-8796-68D252D0F3B7.jpg

20E9005D-BE93-459C-BB85-9E71DC405D8A.jpg

1ACCCA58-10DD-4234-B58B-7C8EE3623CED.jpg

0A170DA0-173B-4FB7-AD90-36A60C5F1048.jpg

898DA1B7-02D6-4B5B-B86D-402E0FA2535D.jpg

722E8DE4-4310-4581-ACE3-5A98519A4A60.jpg

55847FC9-3E67-4268-A928-5FE04C6D7773.jpg

B5259B4A-FC64-4C0C-833D-7583BEE740B5.jpg

DAFD6086-D547-4624-93FD-3341ABDDADA4.jpg

Edited by BigRedGrizzly
  • Like 3

stevasaurus

Outstanding job Sir, and thank you for the kind words.  :handgestures-thumbupright:  Your transmission looks great, and it should last you a very long time.  Excellent pictures by the way.  :)

• Like 2