Southerncannuck

Gas tank bushing

Southerncannuck

My C-125 developed a strong gas smell. I was leaking from the gas line to tank connection.  When I touched it the hose fell out of the tank. It appears that someone in it's past used a product such as JB Weld and goobered into the tank a threaded nipple. I took a look at the parts diagrams and it shows a bushing going into the tank and a valve/filter that goes into the bushing.

My question are, what keeps the bushing in place and prevents the gas from leaking? Does the bushing expand when the valve is inserted or is there another mechanism to make it tight?

Next, are these parts easily available at the Toro deals?

Thanks,

Louis

Ed Kennell

You got it Louis.   The valve expands the rubber grommet to make the seal.    They are available on line and at dealers.

One trick ....start the grommet in the tank but do not push it in the entire way until you have the valve fitting started. Then push the entire assembly in together.

• Like 3

Lost Pup

Its a common item across many makes and models. I use the valves that have an intake screen.

Amazon and Ebay are my sources when needed.

• Like 1

rmaynard

I use a little liquid soap to help the grommet in. However, if the hole has been goobered with a threaded fitting, it may be damaged too much to seal with just a grommet. Worst case you may need a replacement tank. Not too expensive used.

• Like 1

Tankman
5 hours ago, Southerncannuck said:

My C-125 developed a strong gas smell. I was leaking from the gas line to tank connection.  When I touched it the hose fell out of the tank. It appears that someone in it's past used a product such as JB Weld and goobered into the tank a threaded nipple. I took a look at the parts diagrams and it shows a bushing going into the tank and a valve/filter that goes into the bushing.

My question are, what keeps the bushing in place and prevents the gas from leaking? Does the bushing expand when the valve is inserted or is there another mechanism to make it tight?

Next, are these parts easily available at the Toro deals?

Thanks,

Louis

If the tank was "goobered into the tank a threaded nipple" the standard grommet may not seal properly. All is not lost, a bulkhead fitting may do the trick.

You would have to drill the tank hole larger and use a bulkhead fitting. Fish a string through the gas cap opening and out the new and de-burred hole.

Put the inner part of the bulkhead fitting with its' gasket on the string letting it travel to your newly cut (hole sawed) hole.

Wriggle the fitting threads through the hole and screw the bulkhead compression nut on.

The fitting gasket must be inside the tank or product (gas) will seep around the fitting threads and drip, drip, drip.

http://www.marinedepot.com/Double_Threaded_Bulkhead_Fitting_Double_Threaded_Bulkheads-Plumbing_Parts-FT1131-FIFTBHDT-vi.html

Then a thread by barb fitting and a gas line valve and of course a fuel filter. Use Teflon tape on the barb's threads.

https://www.grainger.com/product/THOGUS-Male-Adapter-WP121689/_/N-qvx?s_pp=false&picUrl=//static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/3XVK8_AS01?$smthumb$

https://www.grainger.com/product/THOGUS-1-2-Nylon-Male-Adapter-1VRY8?functionCode=P2IDP2PCP

Edited by Tankman
  • Like 2

TimH

Is this what you need ?

IMG_0775_JPG_5d6795d861b042fb9696a768454e894d.jpg

• Like 1

Southerncannuck

Thank you to everyone.  My heart sank when I saw the previous owner's "fix".  With your help it turns out that it's not that big a problem. 

I'm getting a lot of satisfaction bringing my tractor back to the condition it should have been kept in all along.  I had no idea that they were collectable and that there was a support system for the Wheel Horses. 

• Like 1

wrightorchid

Glad to see another Floridian!!  not too many of us here.  While you are at it, you might want to do the fuel lines and an in-line filter.  Be sure to use no ethanol (marine) gas, if not already.  Might want to flush out the tank of any debris, too.  Simple things when you have a temporary hole in the tank.  There is great support on this site.  Love and passion for these great machines.  Download the manuals if you have not already.  

Welcome to the club!

:wwp:

• Like 1

Southerncannuck

I was lucky that the local Toro store had the bushing and valve and even luckier that the hole in the tank hadn't been expanded.  For the total cost of $12 I've got a shut off valve with filter and a new bushing.  Why the previous owner didn't just fix it right given the low cost is mind boggling.  I'll replace the hose asap. Anyone know off hand how long a piece I need?

Louis 

DSCN1320.JPG

• Like 1

wrightorchid

I don't recall, but it is not too expensicve.  If you use a drill bit to join the old to the new line, it will help pull it through, since it will want to curl.  Good luck, and welcome.

• Like 2

Southerncannuck
6 hours ago, wrightorchid said:

I don't recall, but it is not too expensicve.  If you use a drill bit to join the old to the new line, it will help pull it through, since it will want to curl.  Good luck, and welcome.

Great idea

Southerncannuck

I replaced the fuel line and now have all new from the tank to the carb.  I had a heck of a time getting it running. It seems the fuel pump can lose it's prime. That's  a first for me.

Edited by Southerncannuck