Nhaydt92

656 starting issues

Nhaydt92

I bought a 656 from the original owner a couple weeks ago and when i bought it we couldn't get it running, but with the condition and price I wasn't turning it down. Now i finally got to digging into and it has spark and a good amount of compression and even when I fire starting fluid in it it dosent even attempt to sputter. You can start to smell fuel after a couple pulls also. The ignition switch is kinda messed up in that when you turn it use the starter it sticks there but Im using the pull start and just only turning the key to on. I checked for spark multiple times and it's definately sparking. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Edited by Nhaydt92

gwest_ca

Try a new spark plug. They will fire out of the engine but sometimes they won't fire under compression. 

Garry

• Like 2

Achto

You seem to have three main ingredients for a running engine, so on to more questions. Do you have fresh gas? Are you getting too much gas and fouling the plug? Have you tried a different spark plug? These are questions we some times over look.  I'm guessing you have a Techy for an engine and I'm not real familiar with any quirks they may have. Keep trying & let us know what you find. 

• Like 2

Nhaydt92

Well after about 50 pulls and even ripping the pull start cord once it finally started. I think it definately did some sitting before I got it. After I finally got it running I parked it and went in the garage later and it pissed a lot of fuel all over the floor. I'm guessing the carbs real dirty. I'll dig into that today after work. 

• Like 1

Lane Ranger

Get a new carb for that motor - they are better operating with a clean carb and the new ones are cheap on Ebay.   Tecumseh's are cold natured motors

• Like 2

Nhaydt92

Oh yea so it's actually better to buy a new one than to rebuild the old one? I did see them for sale on eBay but wasn't sure if they were any good. 

Retired Wrencher

Nhaydt92 . With my experience with these fine little engines. Is I do it the hard way but it turns out the to be the right way in the end. I take the head off check out the cylinder bore. Then I  Change out points and condenser. then last check out the timing. This thru the years has work for me. Then get a new carb or 2 there cheap enough. Put a new head gasket on. Keep the original when you get time do this one the right way. I hope this helps. If you need info feel free to ask.

Edited by T1257 RETIRED WRENCHER.
  • Like 1

Nhaydt92

That sounds like a really good idea. It does appear that the head gasket is leaking a little bit.