Ed Kennell

Help...domestic problem

Ed Kennell

If the mods. determine this is not the proper place to ask for help with this problem, I will understand if it is deleted.

Anyway it is related to the WHA problem that we all suffer from,  and from past conversations, I know nearly all Red  Square members are qualified to offer solutions to this problem.

The problem is ... Every summer  when I start to wear shorts, Mrs K complains about the dirt, sawdust, and grease on my socks.    She has now refused to put them in her washing machine.

I have ruled out some potential solutions:

1. stop wearing socks....could be fatal and expensive with no ankle  protection...I take blood thinners

2. buy throw away socks  .... could get expensive

3. place an ad for a new wash person....lets see  50% of my IRA, 401K and pensions....now that is expensive, and I would miss the blackberry pies.

Thanks in advance for any intelligent feasible solutions.

edit PS    If you do happen to talk to Mrs K, please do not let her know we are working on this problem.     She likes surprises.

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 9

WHX??

Geez Ed I guess you are in a bind...I'm gonna have to punt on this one....:text-bump:

• Like 1

rmaynard

I throw my greasy socks, shorts, shirts, wiping rags, and towels in the washer while wifey is away from the domicile. As soon as they are done, a quick high temperature spin in the dryer and no one is the wiser.

I'm not sure what it is about some wives, but I get the same "don't put that in there" stare when I go to put the cats bowls in the dishwasher. :scratchead:

...and if she knew I wrote this, there would be no Mrs. M's cookie bars for me to take to the show...

• Like 8

wallfish

That's what I was thinking, just sneak them in there.

Buy a small used washer from CL, put it in the shop and use biodegradable laundry soap if you don't have a drain. Then use it for shop towels and a parts washer too.

• Like 7

oliver2-44

Ed 

From one hydro guy to another I think I'm seeing through this,,,,,,,The real problem is you no longer have access to the Hydraulic test lab where you used to wash your dirty sox in those hydro turbine test machines

PS many many years ago the old supervisor at the dams where I work was very frugal. He would put all the used rags and a rock in a croaker sack, tie a rope on it and throw it in the discharge . By the end of the shift they were clean,,,,,so many dam stories

• Like 7

elcamino/wheelhorse

I think the small washer in the garage would be answer. Mrs. K will think you are helping with the household chores which could see an increase in pies.

• Like 5

953 nut
12 minutes ago, wallfish said:

small used washer

John has your solution, I did this while we lived in Florida, lots cheaper than an attorney! :ychain: Now I just use the @rmaynard method.  As for the cat bowls Bob mentioned, no problem at our house, She is a member of the family and the wife loves her too.

• Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

I get the stare when I put spoons and forks together in the same space in the dishwasher. She has a reason about makes unloading easier . I suggested that she load the dishwasher her self, now I am on permanent hand washing duty of certain dishes. I have learned to keep my mouth shut.

• Like 7

ACman

Pre clean with GoJo hand soap , best stuff ever . None of my business, but does she have some phobia of putting dirty clothes in the washer ?

• Like 4

Digger 66

How about a pair of these beauties for doing chores ?

1) The neighbors will all have something to talk about .

2) The Mrs & her friends will always have an elephant in the room during those Lemonade / gossip meetings .

3) Ya' never know you just might become the new local trend-setter......

4) And don't forget the pics 

51111f01f4cee6c8f5d1ae58f0555981_zps2nrm

• Like 5

dcrage

I am not going to have a good solution for you Ed because I have refused to let my wife (Pat) do my laundry for the 31 years we have been together -- So I throw my dirty socks in with the rest of my underwear and wash and bleach the heck out of them

I also got out of putting dishes in the dish washer because I would get mad at it trying to get things in there -- My solution was that "I will wash them by hand" but Pat is convinced hand washing isn't as good as automatic washers; plus she doesn't like hearing me get mad at the dishwasher (My biggest complaint about dishwashers is the insistence on pre-washing before putting them in there & other than silverware the only things that the dishwasher can handle are the things I could wash by hand easily [plates, dishes, and glasses] plus anything that is hard to wash by hand doesn't get clean in the dishwasher) -- So for all of this convoluted reasoning (and a couple of more things) I have been for told to leave the dishes alone -- I actually feel a little guilty about it but Pat would actually prefer this arrangement

OK Ed -- Now one serious comment -- I suspect that I take a whole lot more blood thinners than you do and for whatever it is worth I have never had any concerns or issues with my ankles (i.e. I don't think twice about being like Steve (i.e. sockless BUT I only would do that in the SUMMER) 

• Like 2

squonk

We already have one forum member who doesn't wear socks so that solution is out. The little portable washer in the garage will do it as long as you get the parts washer fluid all out before washing your clothes. That stuff can irritate the skin. If you have a Runnings store near you, They sell a great pack of crew socks cheap. I cannot and will not help you with your boxers! :)

2 hours ago, rmaynard said:

...and if she knew I wrote this, there would be no Mrs. M's cookie bars for me to take to the show...

YIKES!!!!!!! :violence-blades::angry-nono:

• Like 4

KC9KAS

A lot of really good ideas here, but I'm afraid no-one has really offered Ed a good solution!

Ed, looks like you are on your own on this one!

PS...My wife informed me a few nights ago that when I load the dishwasher and she doesn't like it, she just fixes it!

I said I could stop loading it, but she said that once in a while I get it right so keep on doing it!

• Like 3

Achto
3 hours ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

I think the small washer in the garage would be answer.

I think Jim and John are on the right track, but lets face it we're all obviously into old stuff with engines. Sooo how about a nice gas powered Maytag to wash those dirty socks and shop rags. Imagine how cool it would be, sittin' in the garage, favorite beverage in your hand, and listening to the pum pum pum of a vintage Maytag sloshing your clothes around. Note: While the mangle works great for crushing those empty beverage cans, keep the clothes that you are wearing out of there.

Edited by achto
  • Like 3

JPWH

I had a similar problem last winter. My wife said she wasn't going to wash my nasty carhart coveralls  in her new washer. I just said OK . After the 1st weekend working on my transmission I just threw them in my little corner rolled up to wear again next time. When she figured out what that awful odor was my coveralls got washed in her new washer.

• Like 4

Thisguyisnew

If you don't mind a single guys opinion. Build them up into a decent pile and the take them to the local laundrymat I had some jobs where the company hadn't provided uniforms yet and that's where I took my grubby clothes

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

Go to a local open house of a really fancy mansion that's for sale. They will have a box of those slip on footies so you don't soil their fancy carpet as you walk through looking for where to put all your WH's if you buy it...While you are there, borrow a few extra footies and explain to them that you want to make sure no WH transmission fluid gets on the carpet so you need them for "later"...

And voila - wear the footies and discard after use, knowing in your heart that your WH's would not appreciate living is such snooty quarters anyways...

• Like 1

Ken B
2 hours ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

I get the stare when I put spoons and forks together in the same space in the dishwasher. She has a reason about makes unloading easier . I suggested that she load the dishwasher her self, now I am on permanent hand washing duty of certain dishes. I have learned to keep my mouth shut.

How long did it take you to master the art of keeping your mouth shut? I've been with my wife for just about 28 yrs. now and  I haven't got that one down yet...  

As for Ed's problem... Put them dirty socks in the washer when the wife is away and call it done.. Just don't get caught. My wife gives me hell for everything I do and how I do it. Loading dishwasher issues... Yep, got that problem amongst a heap of others.. So, if the only issue you have is dirty socks man you got it made.:ROTF:

Edited by Ken B
  • Like 3

19richie66

Put your socks in your pants pockets. She will never know they are in there. :thumbs:

• Like 8

AMC RULES

C'mon Ed...   :teasing-poke:

who wears the pants in your family?  

• Like 4

russellmc301

what i do is when it is sorted i wait for the fliping of the laundry and when she goes somewhere else i come with my nasty garb and wash them and put extra soap:twocents-02cents:

• Like 1

Zeek

Haa, great question :lol:

I'm kind of on board with the boys here (and your assumption) . . . a third wife is too costly and will cut into funds that could be used on tractors :hand:  So, I use a blow gun to get the worst off and chuck that crap in with shop towels and stuff like that myself.

Plus I agree on the blueberry pies, which happen to be my favorite, so you gotta have way around it :confusion-scratchheadblue: 

• Like 3

"D"- Man

Ed, one idea that has not been mentioned yet is don't wear shorts, just wear pants.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell
14 hours ago, rmaynard said:

I throw my greasy socks, shorts, shirts, wiping rags, and towels in the washer while wifey is away from the domicile. As soon as they are done, a quick high temperature spin in the dryer and no one is the wiser.

I'm not sure what it is about some wives, but I get the same "don't put that in there" stare when I go to put the cats bowls in the dishwasher. :scratchead:

I hear ya Bob,  I got the "STARE"   one time when I ran the dishwasher while Mrs K was shopping.  

I started the dishwasher and retired down stairs to the man cave to finish watching the Phillies / Reds game.

I thought I heard some strange noises upstairs, but Pete Rose had just drew a walk from Steve Carlton after fouling off four 3-2 pitches and I had to see if Charlie hustle could steal second off Lefty.  He did...and just as Pete safely dove head first into second, I saw the foam roll down the steps like a giant slinky.

You would think Maytag would require a seat kill switch for the bar stool to prevent the operator from leaving the kitchen while their equipment is in operation.

A few electric eyes to monitor the foam level or a pressure switch to sound a siren before the foam blows the door open would probably have prevented the flood and the resulting "STARE"

They should as a minimum be required to post a large sign on the door warning of the dangers of using large amounts of Dawn in their machines.

Anyway, I guess it's clear, I will never risk suffering another "STARE"  by using any of Mrs Ks appliances.  

BTW, a large leaf rake works pretty well to remove 6" of foam from the kitchen floor.

I have read all your other fine suggestions and will address them as time permits,  but now it's time for a bowl of blackberry cobbler for breakfast.

• Like 2

953 nut
2 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

a large leaf rake works pretty well to remove 6" of foam from the kitchen floor

:wwp:        That is a good tip!