MalMac

Just a Heads up.

MalMac

For those of you on here that are pulling tandem trailers. You might be wise to check what states your going through and check to see if that state requires trailer brakes. I know some states require at least  one axel to have them regardless of the trailers carrying capacity. 

I know that sometimes the law will start noticing a big influx of trailers all hauling tractors or cars for a big show and start pulling over and inspecting them. If you are a vehicle pulling a trailer you come under DOT laws concerning proper hook up and brake regulations. Penalties can range from fines to being deadline till the violation is fixed. Also you get in a accident and are found to be at fault because you were not legal, insurance companies do funny things. Don't want to be a big downer here,  but it would be a bummer sitting on the side of the road because some overzelous, board police officers decided to start checking all theses trailers that have suddenly invaded thier area with the same looking little red tractors. 

• Like 5

wrightorchid

A very good reminder.  Some states have an agricultural inspection check (often near the weigh stations) and require those hauling to stop for inspection (I know Florida does)  I got chased down once hauling plants for an orchid show in a Ford Ranger (topper had windows, so plants were visible)  I did not know I had to stop, since I am not commercial.  You never know.  Usually they just wave you through.

• Like 1

ericj

I've seen local cops pull pickups over that looked clearly overloaded hualing firewood or whatever

eric j

• Like 1

MalMac

If you have electric brakes (and most of them are) some states will require a remote electric back up system for emergency break away. Not having that is about as bad as not having trailer brakes in the eyes of the law when it comes to getting a fine.

Racinbob

Here's a good site for state by state info:

http://trailers.com/state-laws/

And for those of you that travel with personal protection this is the best site I've seen for keeping things updated:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

• Like 3