Sign in to follow this  
Nxt2doc

Lets talk rear grader blades

Nxt2doc

So here's the deal. While traveling back to the ambulance base from posting today I stopped by a buddies house to check in on him.  Yes I was in my district and did not leave any area uncovered. It kind of a perk of the job. He recently had to find a new job due to down sizing and all. He works on mine equipment as a mechanic in our area. So he has some odds and ends laying around his shop that followed him home from the dumpsters at the mine's. He had two blade cutting edges that fit what I assume was a dozer blade. Long and short of it I ended up with one in the cabinet with the oxygen cylinder for the ride to the base and eventually the back of my truck. My idea is to make a rear mounted grader blade out of it for my 1267. Want to be able to flip it from toothed edge to flat edge so it will have to bolt to its carrier. My question is with it weighing in at about 60 lbs. is it going to be too much for a sleeve hitch. I'm thinking of only extending it about 18 inches out from the hitch. Thank you all for any and all reply's Here's a couple of pics. Don't pat attention to the junk pile in the truck.

20160618_201151.jpg

20160618_201202.jpg

Edited by Nxt2doc
  • Like 2

Lane Ranger

Heavy duty -this should make a good  grader blade -no doubt about it!  Sleeve hitch and cable should be good for at lease 200 lbs of wright

Edited by Lane Ranger

squonk

Hitch will handle it. Mechanical advantage as it to pertains to lifting it is the issue. There isn't a lot of leverage associated with the  average Horse lifting system. I have seen some busted bell cranks and twisted hood stands as the result. That's one reason the 300 and up series tractors started having provisions for the rear rockshaft to lift the heavy stuff like tiller's ect.

cheesegrader

I use a brinley box blade for to clear debris from ditches, and for the final pass on my gravel drives.  Weighs about 70 lbs, and I usually add another 50 to level the gravel.

Mine is on the back of a 520 with a clevis hitch, and it is no problem.

Your blade is much sturdier, and could probably do the work without added weight.

Be careful to check cable routing.  I have seen some reports of lift cables digging into transmission housings.

• Like 1

Nxt2doc

Thanks for all the input. I will be sure and check that cable routing cheesegrader.

can whlvr

I added a pulley on my 414 to help lift the tiller,it is bolted to an angle iron and then bolted to the fender support,my cable was eating into my tranny so I recommend this,a very easy and cheap alternative to the rock shaft

DSC00092.jpg

• Like 1

Huntemcd

I actually made a rear blade out of a cutting edge for my raider 8.