18 hours ago, BigRedGrizzly said:

I wish I had a bigger compressor

Sounds like you need to run a air line from Aldon's shop to yours ...he's got a dandy!

I think @Shynon extended his HF blaster with a simple trash bag to get a frame in? ...maybe he will chime in.

• Like 2

Aldon could supply air to the hobbyists of the greater Glens Fall/Saratoga Springs area.

All that's needed is the infrastructure to delivery the commodity.

He could command a retainer on a monthly basis, per user, to cover the electric bill to operate the beast of a compressor he has.

He could shut anyone off at any time if they don't pay their monthly installment.

Let the users figure out the infrastructure with a bond issue, perhaps subsidized by the county and /or state.

• Like 1

I ended up trying to get the largest compressor I could afford because like @BigRedGrizzly I was hampered badly by the insufficient system I had and could not abide the lengthy wait time for the air to build to point I could blast again.

I will say having plenty of air has raised my level of satisfaction and enjoyment of the process.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Aldon said:

I had and could not abide the lengthy wait time for the

paint to dry so I use the missus oven for a paint dryer.........:laughing-rolling:

• Like 3

I resemble that remark!

• Like 1

I promise not to tell.

Inquire privately about muting invoice.

:ROTF:

23 hours ago, BigRedGrizzly said:

Not sure what I'm going to do about the frame yet. It definitely doesn't fit in the cabinet

Here's a few mods to my harbor freight blast cabinet. Added 6" to the bottom. Also taped a garbage bag over the door opening when doing my 1045 frame.

IMG_5650.JPG

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, Shynon said:

Here's a few mods to my harbor freight blast cabinet. Added 6" to the bottom. Also taped a garbage bag over the door opening when doing my 1045 frame.

IMG_5650.JPG

Is the extra depth for additional height of pieces needing blasted or for additional media capacity?

Just now, Aldon said:

additional height

:text-yeahthat:

• Like 1

Man.... I feel like this is going to take forever... Some pieces clean up really quickly and easily. Others require more time. I need to get a subscription to that compressed air company you guys were talking about. : )  That or a much BIGGER compressor. The compressor I have now was given to me by a friend and it's very functional. It's intended purpose was for impact wrenches and inflating tires.

Anyways... This is the pile of parts I worked on this evening.

Hood struts, pedal, implement lift bar, and battery shelf holder thingy...

CC2744EB-6979-4EA3-B951-99D2F0DA6F81.jpg

• Like 1

Powdercoat and areas with heavy enamel from multiple coats of repaint through the years are tougher to blast free. Also, the media loses its ability or abrasiveness  after a while. I also found that blasting at an angle was a bit more effective.

Edited by Aldon
  • Like 1

Hello Fellas... I took the advice and purchased a polycarbide wheel and grinder. I did the hood tonight. Worked out great. I'd say it took me about an hour to get it where I thought it would be good for primer. The threaded rod that holds the latch in the front sheared as I was taking it apart. I'll have to either find the rod I make one. Here are some pics. 

D1C200DE-8B68-4211-94B8-13CB3B522153.jpg

DAB26F76-BCC2-41D7-A3A4-056F1555C4ED.jpg

186D00D3-F8DB-4A77-BB3A-498D2D7D0EA1.jpg

42AAFD85-D0EA-40D2-B86E-4D11967B533C.jpg

3B3129AF-F79F-4E41-8701-DE155D0E7803.jpg

2AF5FD84-0609-4C4C-832E-7AB11703E940.jpg

Primed

CE02736D-F65C-473A-8C0A-C0C439685ACF.jpg

8B4E8CEE-24A9-4124-B275-9F096AE5A099.jpg

• Like 8

Your making excellent progress.

I replaced the hood latch bar with all thread. It functions fine but the steel quality is not what it used to be so the rigidity is less and therefore the tension is also less. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Aldon said:

Your making excellent progress.

I replaced the hood latch bar with all thread. It functions fine but the steel quality is not what it used to be so the rigidity is less and therefore the tension is also less. 

I just looked at the part catalog and I think the part# is 8353. I think it's still available. It's showing as 109-8353. Could it really be still available??  I think it's called a trunnion. 

B0628DB6-59F8-45FB-BC7A-87206B174B47.png

• Like 1

It's indeed possible. 

However I have had several parts show as available and then I'm told it's really not.

I never tried to order a new one.

• Like 2

Hi Fellas.. Just missed out on a 42" Wheel horse plow for my GT14. Quick question... Are all the plows compatible with the GT14? I know the GT14 is an odd ball but are the plows the same. ISO 54" snow plow/ Dozer blade for

a GT14. 

Thanks. 

-D

Hi all.... More blasting, polycarbide wheel spinning, priming and painting going on. 

My fenders have the common cracks in them. I'll be looking to get them welded and a bracket/reinforcement stuck in there to much like Aldon had done to his. 

Here are some pics of where I am today. 

7C812D0B-51A0-449A-8A6A-1AAD534DC26E.jpg

8A1EB303-B969-4844-B268-874CB995CD0C.jpg

A34B2478-4A0F-4254-BE0F-1662C261B39F.jpg

I have painted the frame and the trailer hitch I have. There are more primed pieces to paint but couldn't get to them today. It was very hot here in NJ so by the time 2PM rolled around it was time to get to the pool. 

65E73024-EDB4-4C37-AA4E-5EC7174BAAFB.jpg

1C2CFA64-BE50-42D4-A8CC-A0D0DF0C084E.jpg

1F9DC328-E3D9-44A1-8F5B-133614BC045B.jpg

D752E6FF-67EF-4457-9D59-D554BFE48326.jpg

474A76F1-96F1-45AC-B295-DEB538ACD5F4.jpg

I pulled the bearings out of the front wheels today and sandblasted them up. Looks like a bunch of media managed to get in there. Any idea on how be sure it's all cleaned out. I mean it's filled with grease too. I did my best to wipe it clean but I'm just not certain it's good enough. How about spraying some mineral spirits in there? Think that would help clean it out?

Next big task for me is to get the rear painted up. 

• Like 3

I used nitrile gloves, lots of shop towels and kerosene to clean mine out. If you don't, the remaining grease is like a magnet for the media.

Your making extremely good time with your restoration.

My welder did a really good job bracing the fenders but one of them did deform/twist from the heat. When I installed them as the fender straightened it broke loose the filler so I'll likely re-do the filler and paint when I tear it down at some point to finish the hydro foot control. 

Im having trouble motivating myself to work in the 90 degree heat. Once temps drop to lower 80's again I hope to catch my second wind so to speak.

Keep up the great work and updates!

• Like 4

Thanks, Aldon... I'll be stopping at Walmart on my way home to pick up some kerosene. I also got my decals in over the weekend. 

63483DBD-88B2-457C-A331-FE099465D16C.jpg

• Like 3

Those poly wheels are the bomb. Went through several. You are making great progress and those decals are a real incentive to keep moving.

• Like 1

Hi Fellas.... Well, it was like an X rated WWF wrestling match out front of my garage this evening. It was tire mounting time.  All women and children within 800 feet were asked to leave the area as there was a guarantee that a good amount of cussing was about to go on.... The tires are dry rotted so they required some tubes... Later on down the road I may invest in some Carlisles. The rims have been sandblasted and had a polycarbide wheel. Then primed.  

Here are some photos of the struggle. 

These are the tools I used. 

2CFD019B-0D31-481F-ABEE-9B4CC5AD24F9.jpg

In this photo I have sprinkled both sides of the inner tube with baby powder to reduce the stickyness of the inner to prevent pinching. Then I put a bit of air in the inner tube.  

F14FD33B-4863-4442-B179-DCE110DBBD50.jpg

Then I sprayed a bunch of Simple Green around the tire edge and managed to slip it over the rim. All the while trying to keep the inner tube stem closely lined up with the hole. 

C8F9043C-0AD4-4143-B308-353FDB2D19E2.jpg

4E08DD0A-0D57-47BC-A74F-931817534D79.jpg

B991A092-F3D4-4BCF-990C-BD8BCFD1655D.jpg

My niece, Alexa was over and wanted to help out. And when mounting tires it seems as though there is never enough hands or tire spoons around. I gladly accepted her offer to help and put her to work. 

68957690-821A-4F7A-B283-74147830D327.jpg

5E99CA34-F026-4E73-89FC-23235EF169BB.jpg

4D3B12C1-576D-4188-AEBE-DD25BB31C755.jpg

0F6EA828-5D85-4772-B187-ADACFA0750EF.jpg

8C4867A9-9783-47B5-8961-580936FE6509.jpg

All done. :greetings-clappingyellow:

DEE702CE-B74A-4A9D-8F05-DD5CAAFA2C4E.jpg

I will share a tip with you all tomorrow or Wednesday on how to paint rims with tires on them. It was a easy tip I picked up from the three wheeler forum I belong to. 

• Like 5

No worries with those huge spoons! And never discount the value of the knees keeping that lower side in the groove. Nice job!

• Like 1

Good job, got to get the whole family involved. This could be a calendar shot in my opinion.

4D3B12C1-576D-4188-AEBE-DD25BB31C755.jpg

• Like 2

It's great to see a daughter get involved in a physical, real world mechanical project with her father.

Too many girls grow up never doing anything physical working with their hands to solve problems that arise around the household environment and not even grasping or having the mental training and experiences about how things get done and how things get fixed.

If they grow up with no background in hands on repair experience, they are left with no mental tools or knowledge of the real world around them, and will always be dependent upon others to solve some of the problems that will occur to them throughout their lives. That can be as simplistic as not knowing how to change a light bulb or knowing where the breaker box is located to turn a circuit back on that has overloaded and tripped a breaker.

There is also a very special bonding that occurs between a father and a daughter when doing these types of projects, which money can't buy.

Kudos to this father and daughter!

• Like 3