This is bad, isn't it?

IMG_0473.JPG

IMG_0474.JPG

• Like 2

oldredrider

It's nothing that money can't fix!

• Like 3

Deadguy

It is a 1972 Raider 10 with 1" axle shafts.  I was able to find replacement axle shafts on eBay, but 1" hubs are evading me.  Well, other than the guy on eBay that is selling them for $100! I have found several hubs on various websites that sell parts, but none of them say what size axle they are for.  Does anyone know what Wheel Horse or Toro axle hub part numbers are for the 1" size?  Thank you!

Also, I thought these things were supposed to be tough!  This busted while pulling a chisel plow through soft ground.

• Like 1

N3PUY

And it's ONLY 44 years old!  :think:

That didn't just happen.  That hub has been loose for years to be that beat!

When did you last tighten the set screws?

• Like 6

Deadguy

That would have been last summer when I changed the tires....

Digger 66
7 minutes ago, N3PUY said:

That hub has been loose for years to be that beat!

X-2 ^

• Like 2

857 horse

Digger,,,,,,,,,,i had the same thing happen this winter on one of my 857...Snow pushin,,,,Stump pullin ,,meanmachine     1967 tractor...

So,,,,,,,,i need just  a hub...you need a hub,,,Im going to the BIG SHOW  next week,,,i was gonna buy a single......i can get a nice pair.just as easy

split the $$$$  with you,,,if that works......send me a PM......i will give you my # ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Alls good.................

Howard 857 Horse n VA

Edited by 857 horse
  • Like 4

Achto
4 hours ago, Deadguy said:

Does anyone know what Wheel Horse or Toro axle hub part numbers are for the 1" size?

I believe the :wh: part # is cast right into the back of the hub. Looks like 3979. Chances are that your set screw became loose and caused this damage.

Edited by achto

C-101plowerpower
10 hours ago, Deadguy said:

It is a 1972 Raider 10 with 1" axle shafts.  I was able to find replacement axle shafts on eBay, but 1" hubs are evading me.  Well, other than the guy on eBay that is selling them for $100! I have found several hubs on various websites that sell parts, but none of them say what size axle they are for.  Does anyone know what Wheel Horse or Toro axle hub part numbers are for the 1" size?  Thank you!

Also, I thought these things were supposed to be tough!  This busted while pulling a chisel plow through soft ground.

maybe @racinfool40 has some. otherwise it think i have one laying around

Racinbob

Loose 'for years' didn't cause that. Decades of use and fatigue did. It's possible the set screw was over torqued and caused a hairline crack in the casting and finally it just gave way. Anything can and will break given enough years. It's no reflection on the toughness at all. There will be many at the big show and it looks like Howard will get you fixed up. No need to pay the ridiculous Ebay prices. :)

• Like 2

moe1965

I have a 1 inch hub off a raider 10 if your are interested 

Howie

I have a tractor here that I bought last fall with some damage similar. Had to tear it down anyway and hubs were sort of high for used ones

so I bought the cutter to put new keyway in. Put the sleeve in 90 degrees from the old one and put in a new keyway. Since i have a small

press it made this possible and I had seen this done at my place of employment. Got a piece of 1/4 inch copper and made a piece to mimic

the key clamped it in welded the axle and then turned it down. I know everyone can't do this but since I could I went ahead with it on mine.

• Like 1

mid60's

Had that happen to my Commando 8. Probably decades of use and being loose. Tightening only put off the inevitable. Took the complete trans. to the machine shop where they cut a new keyway on the opposite side of the axle and a replacement hub and I was good to go. That was 10 years ago. Still going strong.

• Like 1

Deadguy
Just now, mid60's said:

Had that happen to my Commando 8. Probably decades of use and being loose. Tightening only put off the inevitable. Took the complete trans. to the machine shop where they cut a new keyway on the opposite side of the axle and a replacement hub and I was good to go. That was 10 years ago. Still going strong.

unfortunately, there are cracks in the axle radiating out from the mashed up key way, so the whole end of the axle is structurally compromised.  I did find replacement axles, and next is the fun step of removing the transmission, cracking it open, and pulling out the differential assembly.

• Like 2

stevasaurus

Piece of cake.  It is harder to find those hubs then it is to open and fix that transmission.  BTW, how is it going??  :)

• Like 1

Deadguy

Howard got me hooked up with a new hub from the big show.  I found replacement axles too.  I will be moving in a few weeks, so once I get my new shop set up, I will probably do a full transmission rebuild on that tractor, as long as I have it off the tractor.  In the meantime, here is a picture of my other two horses to enjoy!

image.jpeg

• Like 3

stevasaurus

Let us know when you start.  I have some videos that will help you rebuild the trans.  I also have a Raider 1972.  :)

• Like 2

857 horse
On 7/3/2016 at 2:36 PM, Deadguy said:

Howard got me hooked up with a new hub from the big show.  I found replacement axles too.  I will be moving in a few weeks, so once I get my new shop set up, I will probably do a full transmission rebuild on that tractor, as long as I have it off the tractor.  In the meantime, here is a picture of my other two horses to enjoy!

image.jpeg

Got Toms hub all ready to ship......just waiting for the Holiday and the rain it brang  to pass...................Tom.....you gottah come to next years show...!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

ohiofarmer
On 7/3/2016 at 3:20 PM, stevasaurus said:

Let us know when you start.  I have some videos that will help you rebuild the trans.  I also have a Raider 1972.  :)

Well, I wonder if this is like a celebrity dying, [coming in threes]. I have owned my raider 10 for a couple of months and noticed that low range has some lag time and the wheels take a bit of time to move. High range is fine and dandy. Maybe in its previous experience the tractor pulled some heavy stuff in low range. I lost a tree and used it to pull a heavy tree section closer to the fire to make it easy to cut up and burn right away. Now the low range problem is worse and I will need to tear it down this winter. Video sounds like a great idea.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

The videos are available in 2 places.  On U-Tube by clicking the link at the bottom of my signature, and by going into the "Reference" Section (Transmissions) on the main page of this site.  :)  If anyone needs any help, or has questions...just start a thread and ask.

• Like 1

Deadguy

Thanks to Howard, the Raider is back together again!  I also received a little something extra in the deal.... Thanks again!

image.jpeg

• Like 3

857 horse

Tom......Im glad that machine is getting back into the action.....

and so you know....everyone that has responded to this post is are ,,,backs against the wall....true Blu solid gold......the information is unending....and very accurate..

the guys really like pics of progress....and mind you ,,,,they will Howl like coyotes if you don't .....

11 months to go........piece of cake !!!!:banana-dreads::banana-rock::banana-ninja:

• Like 1

Deadguy

As per request, here is a photo of the wheel back on my wife's Raider.  Enjoy!

image.jpeg

• Like 2