LTmodel

LT modifications

LTmodel

I just recently came into owning a LT1100. Looking to hear of some ideas for modifications I can do to make it more of a working tractor, instead of a mower.

Thanks,

-Nate

Lane Huls

Well there isn't a whole lot one can do to an LT. The vertical shaft stamped frame mowers will never be much more than a mower or yard cart tug. They made LT and GT models side by side. Lawn Tractor/Garden Tractor. The GT series is horizontal shaft with the angle frame we all know, and much more heavy duty. Maybe someone else can chime in with an idea. There's just a little general info for you.

• Like 1

LTmodel

Thank you for the info, that is what I figured and am finding out when starting to evaluate things. The main objective is to possibly use it to pull a trailer of wood around.

I'm currently at least replacing the lawn tires with ag tires, which is a start. Any other ideas to mess around with?

Lane Huls

I think, unless you are going through some stuff you really shouldn't be on that particular tractor that ag tires would just make your wallet lighter. Making your existing tires heavier by filling them with fluid would be much cheaper and probably just as helpful imo. I'm sure others opinions will differ. I know that the transmissions in these tractors aren't particularly strong if I remember correctly.

• Like 3

JAinVA

I think that tires on a lawn mower act as a cheap fuse.If you do any serious off roading like with a four by four then the concept of a fuse might be familiar.If the tires get to much grip then the fuse becomes the transmission.If the transmission was designed to mow grass only, then making it do more work could cause failure in something (the transaxle) that is much more expensive and difficult to fix.

JMHO,Luck,JAinVA

• Like 3

LTmodel

So basically I'm starting to find out that the LT models are not working tractors and can not and should not be modified to try and make it something it isn't.

Should I look into a GT model to use for hauling wood and riding through the woods?

• Like 3

WHX??

Any of the long frames would work for hauling wood LT, I would look for a C series with a manual transmission as they are unstopable. 3/400-8 speed series would be a good choice too and they should be plentiful in your area.

• Like 2

JAinVA

Lt,

A riding lawn mower will be fine for hauling small carts of firewood or cruising around on wooded trails.If you want more capabilities, then, Jims recommendations would offer you the most bang for the buck.Luck,JAinVA

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 1

LTmodel

JAinVA,

Thank you for letting me know. I have already tested it in the woods and it will do the job I need it to.

Do you know if the LT models are compatible with a snow plow attachment?

Lane Huls

You could get them with a 42" front blade or a 37" snow thrower.