Lane Huls

Hood ornament casting

Lane Huls

I have been working with a local guy who can cast anything with a huge supply of alloys etc, for years. As it happens I only have one horse with the ornament and it is in poor condition. He and I have agreed it would be simple for him to begin casting them. I don't know anything about the chrome plating process, ill have you guys fill me in there. If he can get a good mold, I believe he could mass produce the ornaments. Is there anyone here that would be willing to loan or donate a piece in good condition to help me get the wheels in motion? I know its been attempted before, but I would like to give it my shot!

• Like 2

"D"- Man

I have a hood ornament from my 500 that is near mint.  What are you needing?  Just the dimensions in inches?   Chrome plating is going to run about $25.00 per piece.  Are you also considering the gasket base and the two nuts?

Lane Huls

My intent in to have an ornament to use for dimensions, and to make the mold with. I'll take any information and help you can give. Several ways we could do it, but I would like to see us attempt to start as close to the end product as possible. Tonight, I think we are going to use my poor ornament and make a simple sand mold and see what we come up with. I was not planning on doing a gasket, but if that is of interest to even a voiced minority I will look into it. The nuts are another subject. I have a large supply of the "acorn" style push on nuts, what sort of nuts would you prefer? my main concern for the time being is getting to a point where we can fire up the forge and pour on demand. I will start with some pictures as we go so you can watch our progress and chime in. All the possible tools needed are at my disposal in this situation. Could someone get me in contact with a few plating companies you would recommend?

• Like 2

C-101plowerpower

@GlenPettit maybe you can help here

• Like 1

ACman

:text-yeahthat: and I would look up some local car restoration shops and see who they use .

Lane Huls

I did read through that. I'd like to make mine hopefully identical in all aspects to the original. I know he will have some sage wisdom here if he would like to share it.

1 minute ago, ACman said:

:text-yeahthat: and I would look up some local car restoration shops and see who they use .

Local trucking outfit are the chrome kings, I have a great relationship with them. If anyone local can help it'd be them, but I don't know how small their people would be willing to go.

ACman

Call them and ask if they don't they probably know how does  :) . Also you could give them yours , they can strip it and fix any flaws , Then get it back so you can get a sandcast before chrome, then you'll have a true size after chrome process. 

• Like 3

AMC RULES

Wish you would consider casting Glen's horse hood emblem...

and offering some chromed versions of them here too.  :handgestures-thumbsup:

medium.56fafc7020bca_wheelhorsinaround20

• Like 5

Lane Huls

Well I am going to start small and go for some good, well planned results. I have spoke with Glen, and will be using some of his original style casts in my attempt. It will save me several steps in doing so too. If I can perfect and repeatedly replicate a cast and I feel we can tackle the horse head, I will see if Glen would like me to attempt that as well. I am sure he and I will work close on this.

• Like 7

"D"- Man

Here are some pics of the hood ornament from my 500 special.  One picture is of the only flaw that is present.  I am going to the chrome shop to pic up some parts that I had plated, and I may take this ornament along and ask if they could offer a volume discount.  I will let you know.

P.S. I could not find the gasket or plastic base.

IMG_20160614_171126669.jpg

IMG_20160614_170855212_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160614_170910325.jpg

IMG_20160614_171135937.jpg

IMG_20160614_170917714.jpg

• Like 4

Lane Huls

Thank you LSE, anxious to start.

• Like 1

specialwheelhorse

Be aware different materials shrink after casting.

For instance aluminum shrinks 5 percent pot metal 7 percent

And others shrink differently.

I know this since I worked in a model shop for many years.

Blueprints had to be increased by the amount the casting metal

Will shrink.

• Like 6

userj8670

I think this is terrific!  Additionally  (without jumping the gun an getting to far ahead) I think that horse emblem is amazing!  I can't say I've ever seen it but that sure is unique and I'd love to own one! 

• Like 1

V-Four
21 hours ago, Lane Huls said:

. Could someone get me in contact with a few plating companies you would recommend?

Contact Sean Morley (of Morley muscle) ...and the Yamaha vmax forum.(hence my forum name: V-four) ;)

He does awesome chomework, and is a great guy. (And reasonably priced)

Here is his direct email, the best way to contact.

one2dmax@aol.com

The Morley's muscle website seems it's being updated, but contact him and he'll show you some examples. 

• Like 1

Lane Huls

Thanks! I'll get in touch. VMax is a heck of a bike

"D"- Man

Lane, I just returned from the chrome shop that I get my parts plated at. They have a $20.00 minimum charge.  I showed the hood ornament to the gentleman and asked if we were to have these reproduced how many would it take to get a lower price, a thousand? a hundred?  He indicated that he would be willing to plate as few as a hundred for $10.00 or less, per each.  Have you proceeded far enough to have a platable cast ornament yet?

Uncle Buck

If you guys start a list of those interested in purchasing I would be interested in at least 2, and possibly 3 of these. What a cool idea!

Al C.

Sign me up for two of the horse emblems if you get that far.  A great addition to any wheel horse.  I expect it will be pretty valuable if done well.  

Lane Huls

I have not. Due to he and I working opposite shifts on the spectrum and it being show season, we've only gotten together 3 times so far. We did make 1 attempt. Glenn gave me 3 wax casts with which to try. I wonder if it isn't the wax cast that is the issue. Lots of little dimples cover the entire piece. I sanded and polished it and wasn't satisfied. We should be back together this weekend. Thank you for the chrome information, I know once the formula is right we will have the capability of multiple production. I'll get you guys pictures this weekend. Thank you for your interest!

rjg854

There's a lot of interest :bow-blue:

psalms83:18

How's things going

adnnoble

Have you made any progress with the castings?

please let me know.

Thanks, Andy

• Like 1

JC 1965

:text-yeahthat:

• Like 1