Indiana_Steve

C-195 steering gear..

Indiana_Steve

Have a friend that his steering gear on steering column is completely stripped of teeth. Don't know much about these tractors but apparently parts are hard to come by. Anyone have any ideas or part sources? Any subs that would work?

953 nut

Not sure, but wouldn't the gear from any wheel horse fan gear work if the shaft is long enough? 

312Hydro

You might look in the Grainger catalog . I have never seen one but if it is a bevel gear it could be there. 

Edited by 312Hydro

Don1977

The fan gears are all standard size. Parts Tree was one listed for $236.17  Toro # 109691. The only difference would be the shaft length. Find a good used one and modify it to match the original length. Some of our members sell good used parts.

• Like 2

TDF5G

Steering shafts are usually available on ebay.  Also check the classified section here on the forum also.  

Horse Digger

Hi,

I have a similar problem, two teeth missing.

Finding a used in Sweden seems hard, anyone tried to weld onto the sprocket and axle?

Seems like it is welded from start, so it should be possible.

I'm thinking of building up new teeth and grinding them to shape. Perfect is hard but just preventing jump over is enough for me...

Sorry for the picture, sent from the phone...

If you wonder about the orange part below the frame you might want to look at my gravedigger.

20160808_092923.jpg

Edited by Horse Digger

Sarge

Biggest issue I've found is wear at the frame block - once it gets worn out of round where the steering shaft tip is held to the fan gear it's just a matter of time before it wears enough to break the teeth . I've bored a couple and press fit bronze bushings/bearings to help with that issue . The fan gear itself is not fun to weld although they are cast steel - I use my tig and ER80SD2 filler rod (tool steel) , then grind/file to re-match the tooth pattern . One thing that can be done is find a low wear or new fan gear on any length shaft - cut the weld on yours and move the new fan onto your old shaft to get the right length .

Also, make certain to spend the time now and then to set the thrust distance on that shaft/block assembly to keep the steering wheel shaft in deep contact with the fan gear teeth to prevent excessive wear/breakage ...

Sarge

• Like 1