Ohwheelhorse

Exhaust port

Ohwheelhorse

Picked up a 854 with a 8 hp Kohler. I got it home and bumped in the muffler and it fell off. Someone had JB welded it to the block. The threads were shot. Is there any fix to this besides a new block?  I don't want to put money into this motor If it's not fixable. 

Ed Kennell

Can you borrow a tap from your plumber and rethread the hole a little deeper? 

• Like 1

N3PUY

The threads are usually just full of carbon.

Ohwheelhorse

It looks like someone has already unsuccessfully tapped it

squonk

If the block is un-threadable a good experienced welder should be able to weld in a pipe nipple. Not the best way to do it but better than throwing an otherwise good block away. :banana-wrench:

• Like 5

953 nut

Another option would be to clean the port up, silver solder (aka hard solder) the threaded area and then tap it. An AC service person or a welder could do this if you are unfamiliar with it, not much different than brazing but a bunch stronger.

• Like 3

ACman
48 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

Another option would be to clean the port up, silver solder (aka hard solder) the threaded area and then tap it. An AC service person or a welder could do this if you are unfamiliar with it, not much different than brazing but a bunch stronger.

:text-yeahthat: !!!  Thanks for the idea. Before my accident,I was the one they called on when weren't going right . One guy blew a dime size hole on the line set , right at the valve on the outside unit. It's all about controlling your heat , and knowing when to add the solder . Doing all this while tucked up with you head stuck to the ground . Pinned between the house and AC unit. ( fellow HVAC installers you know what I'm talking about ) . Maybe there is hope for one of my K91's .:woohoo:

• Like 4