Southerncannuck

Busting a tire off the bead

Southerncannuck

I worked in a tire shop years ago but I've never broken a bead without a Coats machine. Do you guys do it yourselves at home?  Any tricks or is it sledge hammer persuasion?

SylvanLakeWH

Discount Tire...

Worth the $12 to take off, discard and remount with tubes...

Just did it for 4 tires after trying unsuccessfully...

Don't ask me how I know what its like to buy another tube or two because I puked it putting it back on with a pinch of the tire irons...

:unsure:

• Like 1

dells68

I've had good luck with the claw end of a pry bar and a heavy hammer.  Just be careful not to damage your rim.

wallfish

One of these tire machines works great for the small tractor tires we use. Get a 20 or 30 % coupon. Plus wait until it's on sale and get it even cheaper. Well worth the small investment if you do just a couple of tires per year. The mini type works better for the smaller front tires

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=tire+machine

I used to use a 2x4 with the tire flat on the ground and leveraged a pipe into the tow hitch on my van. It was a pain in the A-- but it worked..

Edited by wallfish
  • Like 3

WHX??
26 minutes ago, dells68 said:

Just be careful not to damage your rim.

Or tire??? :huh: 

I have been know to drive over it with another  :wh:!

There was just a thread/post about how he heated it up with a torch I'll go see if I can find it.

John's way it best tho.

• Like 2

dells68

Been lucky so far.  Even managed to remove a set of original suburbanites without damaging them.  The rims were eat up, so I wasn't so concerned with them.

lobo

Lay the tire on the ground, after you remove the valve stem, get a 4ft 2x6 and lay it on the tire at the edge of your rim, then drive your car or truck up on it.  If it doesn't pop the bead then rotate the tire and try again. I've used this method on car tires also for years with great results.

• Like 2

moe1965

I use my bench vice.   One side on the edge of the rim and the other side on the tire.   

• Like 2

82Caddy

image_25731.jpg

I use one of those attached to a 2in receiver hitch on one of my tractors or the truck.  It works well and I've done 10+ tires with it now without issue.

• Like 5

jimt1971

I use my Coates 40-40a tire machine. Sorry guys

• Like 2

TDF5G

I've used a bottle jack under the receiver hitch on my pickup.  

If you have rusty old rims, it may be worth it to have them broken down at a tire shop. They can be a pain!

Edited by TDF5G
  • Like 3

pacer

Another fan of that HF changer - the 40 odd $ for it is very much worth it even if for just one tractors 4 tires. Ive changed maybe 20 or so, IMHO the removal from the rim is not so good, but if I can get the bead broken loose I can go from there, and the HF will break the bead very well!

• Like 2

Southerncannuck

Thanks everyone.

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

I pay a tire joint to do it. Its easy then.

Glenn

• Like 5

ohiofarmer

Tried the claw hammer way and it damaged the bead and still it remained stuck. Pretty extreme example of a stuck tire that had Fix-a flat used on it probably twenty years ago, just glued and rusted on.. If you heat about a 12 inch arc with a moving propane torch until you first see white smoke, they come off pretty easy. Just heat the bottom of the bead through the metal rim. On mine, the paint did not blister on the rim and the tire was not damaged either, The trouble with lawn and garden tires is the weakness of the sidewall just lets the bead breaker slide away from the rim.

I used a pallet fork mounted to a skid steer Bobcat and it worked a treat. One stroke and the rest of it stomped right off. You can get the angle just right with another person positioning the tire.

Edited by ohiofarmer
  • Like 2

JPWH

Before I got the HF mini tire changer I used a flat carpenters nail bar about 3/16 x 1 1/2" x about 12" long with about a 2" short 90 end. Tap the short end between the bead and the rim spray or apply soapy water near rim and rock the bar parallel with the rim. Repeat around rim every four inches or so. Never had to go all the way around before the bead broke loose.

• Like 3

doc724

I read a while back where someone made a fixture out of wood ( 2x10 or 2x12) , scalloped to match the rim OD.  He laid it on the tire and backed over it with his car.  Same method Lobo cited but maybe a bit more elegant.  Don't know if it works any better though,

• Like 1

russellmc301

i feel just having someone do it is the best, unless you know what you are doing. just my :twocents-02cents:

KC9KAS

I have/use this one.

Search the www for "home-made" tire changers.

It you are handy fabricating, you can build a nice heavy duty one.

Pittsburgh Automotive 69686 Manual Tire Changer

Edited by KC9KAS
  • Like 2

ACman

Reminenceing , back in the day working in the AC dealership. I had this May Bros tire changer, has shrader valves on top of post for clamping rim , and another shrader valve on top of bead breaker for busting down tires . My tire mounting , dismounting  tool looked just similar to the one in the picture ( standing up right blocking the view of the cogs that clamp the rim ) .

image.jpeg

The he other must haves are tire spoons with a drop center and a 4LBS dead blow hammer . I was taught by an old timer, had lots of tricks. I sure did my share of tires back in the day .

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Tuneup

I love the car use idea. I use vacuum from the car to bleed brakes through a pickle jar. For breaking beads on motorcycle and now tractor tires, a 6' 2x4 I attach through a hinge to the garage wall. About 2' from the wall, a 2x4 pivot is attached to the main by a bolt. I lay the tire on the floor and push on the end. Easy, peasy. Have used this one for years. When done, I remove the 3 hinge screws and store it in the corner.

• Like 1

pfrederi

I have the small and large HF tires devices...Also have used several other bead breaking devices...but hands down this type slide hammer is the best.  Does all my tires from the 16- 5.5x8 front WH tires to the 13.6x38 on my Case DC3

bead.JPG

• Like 1

953 nut
11 hours ago, ACman said:

May Bros tire changer,

I used one just like that when I worked at a service station while in high school, over 50 years ago. Worked great.

• Like 2

can whlvr

so years ago I tried the wood on the tire and drive on it,well the tire flipped up and smashed my air dam and I had to remove it,now I use a large c clamp,ive broken dozens with it and even skid steer tires are no match for it,use dish soap to help it slide

• Like 1