tarcoleo

Front Wheel Roller Bearings?

tarcoleo

Would like to get opinions or experience with heavy duty roller bearings suitable

for front wheels, in my case on my C-series chassis's.  I'm speaking of-

http://maverickmowersupply.com/215267-heavy-duty-wheel-bearing-3-4-id-x-1-3-8-od?gclid=CPymgMTuk80CFYQ2gQodsWcIIQ

I'm  trying these out with the full realization that the "inner race" is the spindle itself.

But I reason that wear on the spindle would not be a problem so long as the bearings

are kept well greased and that vehicle speed is limited to normal mowing speeds.  Low

wheel rotation speeds should further limit wear to negligible amounts given the large

surface areas that the roller bearings contact the spindle.  The wheels are retained by split

shaft collars avoiding problems with retainer springs.  Waddah you think?

Tom

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

953 nut

The produce farm I worked on several years ago had a bunch of 4' X 8' wagons with that type of bearing, ran 8" wheels just like the :wh: and would have about a ton of tomatoes or cucumbers per load, never replaced a bearing the whole time I was there, just cleaned and greased them once a month. There were no seals or dust caps on them, otherwise we could have made that an annual PM.

• Like 1

Don1977

The only problem with the roller bearings is that they wear on the spindles.. Being well greased will help but it won't stop it from wearing on the spindles.  It's just not the best design, a bearing with a race is better as it is replaced with the bearing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

tarcoleo

The wear on the spindles will vary with the load, rotational speed, amount of bearing surface, lubrication,

and hardness of the spindles.  I take heart with 953nut's comment above.  The conventional ball bearings

usually found on these wheel are not very durable;  I'm hoping these roller bearing and spindles will last many

years with care.

Edited by tarcoleo
goofed
  • Like 1

WHX??

They look fairly high test & look to have some depth to them (1.145")  meaning more bearing surface on the spindle.  I wouldn't be afraid to try them... pull the wheel off after some time, clean out the old grease &  and check the spindle. Would definitely be ok for the light workers. Price ain't too shabby either.

Edited by WHX61/3
  • Like 2

953 nut

@GlenPettit sells dust caps used on the older :wh: front wheels, may do the trick for your bearings too.