zooms

Newest of new wheel horse (or is it wheelhorse?) owner

zooms

Hi all, a friend just gave me his rough 91 520-h and a beat up tow behind finishing mower. I know nothing about wheel house except what is on the Wikipedia page, so I figured this would be a good place to learn. My first goal is just to get it running again (it hasn't run in a couple of years and it was giving him greaf before that). Is there anything i should do other than change the fuel, oil, plugs and filters? Never messed with a hydro tranny before, anything I should do about that? I know there are lots of belts, should I be changing all of them? Nothing other than the tractor itself is driven by belts (the mower has its own engine). At some point I will probably tear it all apart, but for now I just want to be able to mow with it.

On a separate note, I'm rather curious as to why this rather fanatical (in a good way) community exists for these tractors. I don't mean this in a bad way, I just would like to know why these tractors are so special and why they are worth all the restorations I've seen on here. I had never heard of wheel horse until I owned one, so any insight into why you guys like them would be interesting. Also, how is the 520 different from a normal riding mower? Anything else you guys think I should know? Thanks, sorry for the long post. I have a screaming baby in my arms, so I'll have to add pics later (I've heard you guys like them).

• Like 3

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

You are in the right spot - these guys know everything about :wh: but be forewarned - They are gonna want pics!!! Ask away - you will get answers!

If you become a RedSquare supporter you can post unlimited pics and believe me, when you have questions you will get way more than your money's worth!!! I became a supporter right away and it has more than paid off...

Directions below...

• Like 5

WHX??

First off :WRS:

Second off forget about the finnish mower we'll work on that later.... let's get the tractor going 1st. More info is  needed here assuming it's got a Onan P220?  Not mincing any  words if it was running crappie years ago and not at all now you got your work cutout  for you. Motor is more than likely going to be completely gone thru and without knowing more you are looking at a labor of love more than anything. On your separate note This fantastic   comunity  exists because we LOVE these tractors because they just don't make them like this anymore. More to follow 

• Like 4

953 nut

As you may have figured out, we are addicted to :wh: and totally unapologetic about it.    :WRS:

In your quest to get the 520 running I would suggest you download the attached manual and become familiar with it and then ask specific questions based on problems you encounter. 

• Like 5

857 horse

Mr Zoom....:wwp::banana-linedance:every one here loves pictures.....you will discover it is hard to post them until you become a member...((  Very Cheep)),,,,,,,,,,

,Information is endless.....Support is unending.....One evening in here and you have new found friends,,that will last and endure....

I have little skills,,,6 Wheel Horses....and visit here nightly...its the small details and good ideas that will amaze you......and you dont even have your steed running yet.......Welcome aboard.....

Oh,,,you ask why....these tractors are very easy to work on....and easier to keep running once you get it running...

and you 520H.....Thats one heavy tractor..a Beast !!!!

Oh,,,,anyone responding to your post are not addicted....and they will tell you so.....

Edited by 857 horse
  • Like 3

zooms

Thanks for the quick replies. Yes, it has the original engine in it. I had downloaded the manual and scrolled through it. It looks great and really thorough. I should have clarified about the tractor running. It was giving him problems (of some kind, not necessarily with the engine, I just don't know). So he got a new mower and left this one sitting for a couple of years. I had heard bad things about the engine in these, and was a little nervous. To some degree I don't mind having to go through the engine, because that would be a great learning experience. And if this holds up as well as these seem to, it would be worth really going through. I know the mower's crap. It's an agri-fab and all beat up. I would love a mid mount deck at some point, but first things first. Thanks for the warm welcome.

• Like 2

new horse

this group is an amazing place for support, suggestions, knowledge and information on these special tractors, you'll always get the advice/answer's you may need. Yeah, these folks might be fanatics about Wheel Horse tractors, but trust me, as a recent "new Wheel Horse" owner, once you get the "bug" this is the best place to be!!!

• Like 2

elcamino/wheelhorse

:rs: We are not your ordinary addicts we are just nuts about tractors that are over 50 years old and still going strong. Word of advise you just can not have just one. I joined in July 2015 with two :wh: that worked and one that needed a motor. I now have 4 running and the one still needs a motor. They are like rabbits they keep multiplying .

• Like 4

jay bee

:text-yeahthat:and :text-welcomewave: to :rs:

Jim

Oh, by the way Zooms, if you are searching on CL you will get more hits using Wheel Horse than Wheelhorse.  I don't know why but....................

Jim

• Like 3

roadapples

:WRS:

• Like 1

AMC RULES

zooms

So here are the pics: Asyou can see, is a little 'farm fresh'.

I might a caught the bug a little. My

wife compares this to her cloth diaper addiction. She is on forums and Facebook talking about diapers all the time. I've never joined a forum before, but this seems like a great community. And I love taking stuff apart to see how it works, so it's hard to beat a tractor like this.

Stupid question: what, where, when, who, is this "big show"everyone is talking about? Is this a general tractor show, or a wheel horse only thing?

Oh, and thanks '953 nut', I had found manuals on the Toro website, but not those. Those circuit diagrams will definitely come in handy.

Thanks again for all the good info so far.

tmp_30292-IMG_20160608_100044232-321540011.jpg

tmp_30292-IMG_20160608_100058914_HDR-108410091.jpg

• Like 5

Racinbob

Great start to your addiction. :)

Here's the big show info. Yup, Wheel Horses only.

http://www.wheelhorsecc.com/

I'm going again this year and it's almost 1000 miles away. Even at that there's folks here that will be driving farther. It's just that good. :D

• Like 3

cleat

I see the mule drive on the front so it had a mower on it at some point.

You will need a 48" or 60" deck on that machine.

But first get the tractor going and we will work from there.

• Like 1

857 horse
19 hours ago, roadapples said:

14 miles??????   Gezz  ,,,,Mr Zooms.....if you want to be on the mash pole....p.m. me.....but you must act fast....

you will have to make a sign........4 inch by about 18 inches....wood,,,metal or plastic....

hurry up....time is ticking,,,the Mash Pole is waiting....

Road Apples,,,will you be there Thursday .am.???

Edited by 857 horse
Dont forget your sign !!!!!!!!!!
  • Like 1

roadapples

Good Lord willing, I will be there Thursday, hopefully am...     :happy-jumpeveryone:

• Like 2

zooms

You'll have to forgive me 857 horse, but I didn't understand anything you just said. What's a mash pole? What's 14 miles? Why am I making a sign, and what is it supposed to say? On a side note, we have a laser cutter at work, so I could make a pretty awesome sign.

• Like 1

953 nut
On 6/9/2016 at 7:00 AM, zooms said:

What's a mash pole? What's 14 miles? Why am I making a sign, and what is it supposed to say?

You probably aren't as old vintage as some of us. MASH was a very successful TV series about an Army hospital in Korea. They had a pole with signs showing the distance and direction to home or other places of interest. 875 horse is making one for us. Any one who wants to will bring a sign to add to the post, roadapples lives 14 miles from the show.

new011511mashSwamp2.jpg

• Like 6

zooms

Thanks for the clarification. I remember watching the show growing up and I've seen the movie, it was just a bit of a contextual leap. Had he written it M*A*S*H* I would have gotten it (bit that's a pain to type, especially on my phone). That's actually a really good idea. It would be fun to see the big show, unfortunately I live over 1k miles away, and actually be spending that weekend even further away in TX.

Sparky

Mike........