Shaun Liddiard

Deck blade settings

Shaun Liddiard

Hi can somebody tell me when fitting new blades to my 48in rear discharge deck what position all three are set too , tractor. Is 512d ..Shaun 

gwest_ca

Are you asking which way the blades point when changing the belt? Doesn't matter because the spindle assemblies are positioned so the blades can not contact each other.

The geared and shaft driven 2-blade decks had to be timed 90 degrees to each other because the cut did overlap so the blade tips could hit

Garry.

• Like 1

Shaun Liddiard

Are thanks it's kind of what I thought but had noted somewhere that it should of been 90 degrees , , sometimes I read to much .. It's just I'm having trouble keeping belts on ... And all bearings etc are good free running etc ... Today when I'm looking under the front it looks like the angle is too low that the drive belt attaches to on the deck, or maybe my belts are too long as I seem to be full extended on front belt adjuster on front of tractor even with new belt , or on the clutch pulley I'm putting on the groove ... Shaun ... Feel a bit of a pest but struggling and the grass here in the Czech Republic grows at a rate that we can only dream of back in the uk ...

gwest_ca

The rear discharge deck can be a 36" width of cut or 42" width of cut. The 48" width of cut are all side discharge. Perhaps this has led you to the incorrect belt.

Belt dimensions are on that page.

The correct pto pulley to use is shown on the pto page 31 of the illustrated parts list

If you need other info let us know.

Garry

Shaun Liddiard

Ok help yet again ... Still got something wrong after looking in manual ... Thanks for posting .. The belt I'm using supplied by some cz company .. Appears to big as works fine tough an all that ...  But adjuster on front is fully tight ... With no room for later adjustment ...its  2450 MM. Which is 96/1/2 inches ... So I thought as none genuine must be just too long .... But manual says drive belt is serial no 106635 ... Which is 98inch and half inch wide !!! It's even longer ... Am I missing a point here ... Deck is original to tractor etc ... The manual also says spindle belt is 89.03 ..... As a bit of a home grown engineer I'm looking at moving the deck back ( def losing the plot ) I don't mind at all looking a bit daft on this one ...   

gwest_ca

I see drive belt 108834 (1/2" x 98") for the 42" rear discharge.

106636 is a set of blades.

They did increase the belt length by 1" because on some models it was too short. Belt 102741 is 1/2" x 97".

Do you have the belt on the larger inner pto pulley?

Garry

Shaun Liddiard

Hi thanks ... Thought I was losing the plot .. Tried on both pto inner and outer .. Obviously better on the larger ... But still way out .. It does work with a new belt but not for long the adjuster is full out almost off the thread .. So making the angle extreme for belt when mating with deck pulley .... I have had this machine for many years  virtually from new ,and it has had no modifications or parts changed .. It's great .... Is it odd as it has the robin diesel fitted .. I know there's not many about .. And I have two of them ... The other isn't used for mowing ... It thinks it's a John Deere .. As does all the heavy pulling etc .... Many thanks with your help over this ... It's a nagging problem .. I will try and sorce a smaller belt .. Shaun 

cleat

Are you sure that you have the hitch correctly installed into the mid tach-a-matic ?

gwest_ca

Cleat may have found your problem. The fork on the cross shaft of the mower hitch must be positioned over one of the cross rods of the tractor hitch. That prevents the mower hitch cross shaft from rotating when the drive belt is tightened.

Garry

Shaun Liddiard

Hi I know what you mean but yes it is locked correctly ... I am back in the uk for a couple weeks I am going to take photos of how it is set up when I return ... I really don't mind looking a bit silly jus want to solve the problem ... Now I'm back in the uk a friend has dropped me another wheelhorse with broken steering .. Hit a wall with front wheel .... Not too sure what model it is as some ----------- has painted it Matt black ... It has a later engine in one I havnt seen .. It's a kolher 12 horse must be one of the last before the toro as it has the same bonnet as my 512d ... From my graveyard of spares today I fixed steering the knuckle at the bottom of steering column was all ...... The only clue I have to the model is it has a large plastic air filter box (. Can anybody enlighten me ) ... Now this tractor came with no deck ... But I have one I rebuilt for a spare ... Now here's the thing going back to my belt problem .... Wrapped around the steering wheel came a brand new drive belt !!! It's 96 in ...... But it is a octagon shape not the normal V ...  Now I wish I could try on my 512 d in cz ... Any words of wisdom .... There doesn't seem to be any local lunatics here in the uk. With my odd passion for these great little tractors ... Shaun 

gwest_ca

This is one application of the 6-sided belt but it is not 96".

Another but a 60" deck and different length belt

Garry