ryanmfairbank

Motor ready to fly with new carb!

ryanmfairbank

After recently acquiring a '77 Wheel Horse B-80, I had to give it some TLC...

Fuel Delivery: new carb, rebuilt fuel pump, new fuel lines, new in-line fuel filter, installed an in-line fuel shutoff, cleaned the inside of the fuel tank and petcock...

Start Circut: new battery, new solenoid, and all new wiring...

so...it starts right up, and sounds great, but my problem is with the throttle...it seems to either be purring beautifully at idle, or ready for takeoff at full throttle! lol There is no in-between...what am I missing???

Aldon

post a pic of the throttle cable connection to the carb. You or the prior owner may have Governor bypassed.

• Like 2

ryanmfairbank

image.jpegMost likely the previous owner if that's the case...

(not sure why it's posting the pic upside down! lol...it's not upside down on my cell, and it won't allow me to edit it)

If this isn't a good angle, let me know...

• Like 1

Achto

I do know that without the extended arm on the governor wheel there is not a lot of throttle travel. Where your cable is connected right to the gov. wheel, some have a little arm extending out from that wheel to increase cable travel. The cable hook up on my K181 is the same as yours, I have to pull on the throttle real slow to find a mid range speed. With my pull type throttle there is 3/8" or less travel. 

• Like 1

ryanmfairbank

What's strange is, I didn't have this problem when I first bought this Wheel Horse a few weeks ago! Now, with this new carb, it just started happening...

Achto

I see wear on your gov arm by the lower hole, was the linkage in the lower hole before? Further out on this arm will affect the throttle response to the gov.

• Like 3

ryanmfairbank

It may have been...I will have to move it and see...but I don't think that little of an adjustment will resolve my problem...

When I'm running the motor and find a decent throttle position in first gear, the motor nearly stalls when I engage the PTO...then, when I find the appropriate throttle position with the PTO engaged and I disengage it, the motor is revving way way high!??

953 nut
2 hours ago, ryanmfairbank said:

disengage it, the motor is revving way way high!

You have an eight HP engine, even with a twelve HP that will happen to a certain extent.

ryanmfairbank

The point I'm trying to make though is that this didn't happen when I first purchased the tractor...only after I put on a new carb...

Aldon

My tractors all have larger Kohlers on them but the Governor has a spring inserted to allow the governor to move throttle. Or that is what I assume the springs purpose to be. However may not be an apples to apples comparison. So I'll bow out and let those more expert with your model help you.

Achto

If the linkage was in the lower hole with the old carb and now in the upper hole with the new one this could be the change that is giving you trouble. The gov arm does not have to move much to open and close the butterfly on the carb. The further away from the pivot point on the gov arm you get the more travel you will get.  

• Like 2

wrightorchid

i always take pics of the linkage and holes, so I get them back in the correct place.  The holes are usually worn where it was, but sometimes a challenge.

• Like 1

ryanmfairbank

Yes sir...that was the problem...I didn't think that would make that much of a difference, but she is running good now! Thanks guys!!!

• Like 3

Achto

Glad to help.

• Like 3

V-Four
On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 0:43 PM, achto said:

I see wear on your gov arm by the lower hole, was the linkage in the lower hole before? Further out on this arm will affect the throttle response to the gov.

Good eye on that one achto.

;)

• Like 2